Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Atos Medical

unity1906

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4038 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am writing on behalf of my father he was diagnosed in 2008 as having Complex Post Traumatic Stress disorder and a unspecified Borderline Personality Disorder. In 2009 April he was assessed as needing Eye Movement therapy and put on a waiting list for that treatment, he has still not had any treatment to date 22/12/2010.

He has now been called for an atos medical, but he is abusive and in face very aggressive and dangerous when stressed. In september he tried to commit suicide and we called a Doctor as he asked to section himself after we fought a battle over medication drugs that he was preparing to take.When he broke down he lost control of his bladder and was completely hysterical. The reasons for his illness are complex but basically he witnessed fires at home when he was 13/14 was abused as a child sexually and physically and in 1965 on his second day of work was involved in a fire in which three people died.

Since that time my father has suffered flashbacks, has become abusive to people in authority has been convicted of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and is abusive and aggressive to the point of receiving a warning letter from his CMHT stating that he left a Sirs Worker in fear for his personal safety.

We also have trouble getting treatment and also trying to get through the jobs worths of the DWP.

What we need is help but where do we get it?

I also suffer with PTSD. I understand exactly what you are saying. Although I have not suffered so much trauma as your poor dad has, I do understand the outbursts he suffers. Last year I was in our High St early one morning and I saw two teenage boys harming a pigeon. I went mad. I walked up to them demanded they stop, one of them laughed at me so I'm afraid I dealt him a firm right hook straight in his nose and broke it. Dripping with his blood and an injured pigeon I then walked into a building society and demanded a box - they were so shocked they handed it over. When I came outside his mate thought he'd say something to me - he didn't get the chance - I had no free hand, so I just let him get in my face and then promptly kneed him so he fell to the floor. I am extremely fortunate that I have not been prosecuted for this. I am fortunate that these two big lads didn't just turn on me and beat me up. So, when you say about your dad being abusive, not only is there the embarassment, but dangers as well. I understand 100%.

I think your best bet is to get dad's CONSULTANT psychiatrist to write a long and supporting letter for him, particularly emphasising the dangers to himself and everyone else if he has one of his turns in this interview. I should think he is covered by the DDA so therefore has the right for certain adjustments to be made for him - perhaps he could be interviewed at home for example. Or maybe his mental health support worker could attend with him.

Even though your dad has a "mental health problem" I know that he is not "daft" - PTSD affects intelligent people worse than anyone - that is a fact. (I am not slating anyone at all with any mental health problems, nor am I calling anyone with a disability daft). So, just for the purposes of getting through this dreadful interview, he must TRY - really TRY - to go through with it. I know it is hard, but he understands what it is about and what the consequences may be if he fails it.

I'll tell you one thing though, if he does fail and has to appeal he'll win that most likely the minute they see a letter from a consultant psychiatrist.

I'm glad you posted up because I have someone who supports me through this illness, and it gave me an insight into how my behaviour can affect those around me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello unity.

I think roblynmouth means SSAFA. I think other people have also had good advice from the British Legion and other organisations.

If you're concerned about Atos, please consider posting on the Benefits forum, where we're used to dealing with problems arising from their unique take on disability and mental health or other issues.

You probably know not to copy and paste your original post. Either summarise what you need to know about Atos/DWP [best way] or post a link to this thread.

HB x

Edited by honeybee13
Addition.

Illegitimi non carborundum