Impossible to contact DVLA - what other options do I have?

Ali2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4389 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Hope someone can help.

I did not receive a reminder to tax my car as expected earlier this month! I have tried to contact the DVLA but have either been told, via automated message, that due to adverse weather conditions, no one to take your call or lines too busy. I think this is totally unacceptable when trying to genuinely tax your car.

I don't have a 16 digit code to register on line and, as I can't find my registration document, need this number which I generally get in the reminder and have no problem taxing online. Is it best to go into the local DVLA office nearest to you and can you tax your vehicle there?

I am trying to be responsible and tax my vehicle but being frustated in my efforts due to DVLA and their messages. I do not want to be accused to not taxing it or incurring charges when I am trying to make every effort to do so.

Earlier this year, my car was vandalised and licence plates taken. Would this have any effect on not receiving a reminder? I have new licence plates etc and just am desperate to tax the car before the end of the month.

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks.

Come on you have to make a few allowances for staffing the systems in this weather. Even allowing for that there is an element here of you admitting you are the one without the details you should have.

That said, send them a recorded letter with your details explaining the difficulty and what you require. Keep your phone bill with details of your calls so in the eventuality that you are still unable to process your tax in time at least you'll have evidence of your efforts. But if you have a DVLA office locally that would be the next best thing... if you can be prepared to stand in the queue all day.

As for a reminder, it's only at most twice a year. Put it in your calendar or add a reminder in your phone.

You could try the Post Office.

Last year I went without the Reminder or V5. They said they could not issue a new Road Fund Disc without the 'Validation character' that appears on both. I then went and got the old expiring disc from the vehicle parked outside which also has the Validation Character. I think they scanned the bar-code.

They were happy with this and sold me the new disc.

Come on you have to make a few allowances for staffing the systems in this weather.

But do you think the DVLA would similarly accept such an excuse from us?

Edited by Tony P
Remembered a bit more!

But if you have a DVLA office locally that would be the next best thing... if you can be prepared to stand in the queue all day.

There was a time I would have agreed with you on this, but over the past couple of years I have noticed our local office (Gosforth, Newcastle) the waiting time has gone down and down. Whether this is with the dawn of much more on-line transactions I don't know, but in about 6 visits recently I am often in and out in about 10 minutes with 1/2 an hour been the worst. :)

• 3 weeks later...

CEO of the DVLA (Simon Tse was Noel Shanahan)---- 01792 782798 ----
(was Noel shanahans personal assistant )
(CEO's Office)

Head of Local Services Network (David Marshalsay)( also Ann Jones)--- 01792 788 233 ---

Head of Customer Services and Compliance(Mrs Alison Wolley)---01792 788 225

Drivers customer services----01792 782 255

Switchboard? --- 01792 772232

Always ask to be transfered internally and do not allow them to put you off by ringing the 0870 or any other number.

Don't forget to put 141 in front of the number so that the recipient cannot tell that it is not an internal call

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I had a similar situation:

Went abroad, declared my vehicle SORN, but after some months - I needed the car to come back home for Christmas, so I tried to call DVLA to get that 16 digit number and tax my vehicle since I didnt have the V5C form with me. DVLA refused to provide me with that figure, so I wasn't able to tax my vehicle online.

Consequences: my vehicle is clamped on the Boxing day, the day when the clamping pound works, but that miracle tel number left on my windscreen doesn't.

I managed to get through only the next day early in the morning, I informed the DVLA about the wish to pay the surety fee and unclamping fee, totaling 260. It was 8 in the morning. The guys unclamped at 13.00!!!

So I wrote a letter to Mr Tse, the CEO, asking for a full refund - got a negative reply,

Going to analyse their motives and file a small claim at the magistrates.

Could anyone remind me please where should I start?

:violin:

Small claims are a County Court matter, not Magistrates Court. But what are you going to claim for if your vehicle was clamped for no licence and you didn't have one?.

Good question!

That's the whole point - I was not even given a chance to licence it, since I was abroad and could't do over the internet AND DVLA knew it and didn't tell me the necessary 16 digits from MY V5C certifiacte to be able to do it online.

The quickest I could do was the 28th Dec 2011 (when crossing the Channel on 24th), so they clamped on 27! and didn't answer the phone. None of the DVLA offices worked till 3rd January!

The bottom line is that I would like to get back the surety fee at least.

Could you explain me if I had to be issued the '' voucher'' (Art 15. Where this regulation applies a voucher shall be issued in respect of the surety payment to the person making the payment) ?

And also shouldn't it be the Magistrates???

''(5) A claimant, who has appealed to an authorised person under paragraph (2), may make a further appeal to a magistrates' court:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1997/2439/regulation/17/made ''

Cheers , for your insight.

DVLA answer.pdf

The legislation you refer to are for appeals under the regulations, either a licence was in force at the time or one of the exemptions in s. 4(2) of those regulations applied.

Small claims is a claim in the County Court for a civil debt.

You seem to have complicated the matter by declaring SORN when the vehicle was abroad, when it is required to be taxed or exported.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_069727

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022582

Edited by Raykay

• 1 month later...

The follow up of the complain against DVLA (abuse of power):

After having been advised by a friend, I asked the complaint to be evaluated by the independent complaints officer. I attach his reply for forum's readers.

I am considering to go further, since I do believe that the DVLA advise was irrelevant due to the time limit I had, and the unwillingness (safety issue/data protection against who?? - myself) to provide the 16 digit number from my loogbook.

Other readers may disagree with me, but that's my point of view and I still believe that I was a victim of their stright and blind application of law. And it has to be challenged!!!

PS, we do pay for the roads anyway...while using motorways.

Letter from Independent complaints officer.pdf