Jump to content

Help being hassled by Housing Association

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3837 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

About 5 years ago, my sister who was in the fairly advanced stages of huntingtons disease was offered a tenancy by Teign Housing, as her private flat had become unsuitable due to her illness. On looking at the flat she turned it down, and never moved in. Instead she moved to another private flat. About 18 months ago I received a letter from the housing association saying they wanted the rent from the period that they said my sister had the tenancy for. (about 6 weeks) I emailed them to explain that she had never moved in, and if she had signed an agreement this was without my knowledge, and that it would have been as a result of confusion caused by her illness ( she was taken to look at the flat by a support worker)


The Housing Association never responded to my email, and I assumed the issue was closed. However this week they again wrote to me asking me if I had power of attorney ( I dont) and if I did could I contact them to resolve the issue. My sister is now in the advanced stages of Huntingtons, and is in a nursing home. I do not want them to take her to court. She is unable to speak, understand, walk and is incontinent.


I have again emailed the association and explained the situation. I have told them I do not have power of attorney. I am concerned that now they know I have no official standing in my sisters affairs, they will seek to contact her directly at her nursing home.


I am going to try to talk to them on Monday, but any advice or help I could get between now and then would be really appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If your sister does not "understand", who has power of attorney? Is she still responsible for her own affairs?


I would suggest the best thing to do, for a start, is to request a copy of the signed tenancy agreement.


How you would stand as regards obtaining your sister's permission for this, I don't know - perhaps send it p/p your sister's name for delivery to yourself?

Carpe Jugulum

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is someone here on CAG who takes a particular interest in Housing Association cases. I've not been on CAG much until recently though and don't recall seeing them around much either of late, but will PM them now and see if they are still about.


Very sorry to hear what's happening though, have you also:


- checked what the HA's own complaints procedure is, as they've not responded to your reasonable requests? Their website, if they have one, should have this information.


- also, have you thought to contact your local MP too, if needs be? The circumstances in which you and your sister find yourselves requires some sensitivity on the part of the HA part to help resolve all this - something that, so far, seems sadly lacking from the HA.


On the one hand you may need to give the HA an opportunity to resolve this, on the other it seems you already have...


Good luck and hope it gets sorted quickly now

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Box


You could also contact http://www.hda.org.uk/hda/care-advisers.php I'm sure they will be more then willing to talk to the HA on your sister's behalf.

You could also contact your local MP who could take the matter up for you, this is outrageous.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...