Ebay seller problem (legal action)

karmack
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4845 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm after some advice for my father. He bought a laptop computer on ebay recently and when it arrived it was faulty. The item was listed as good working order. He opened up a case eith ebay who found in his favour and ebay have asked him to return the item which he did. Now the seller has messaged him through ebay to say he will be opening up legal action against my dad for costs incurred.

Now I'malmost certain he has no grounds for legal action but I promised I would try and get some more concrete advice.

Thank you for any advice offered.

Regards.

What costs has he specified that he intends to litigate for, and on what grounds? If he hasn't set out the costs and grounds in which he considers your father liable for in detail, then I'd assume it's all hot air. Many people, particularly on eBay, threaten they'll take legal action when things don't go their way. They think it will have the desired effect, and often it does as people pay up out of fear. Anybody can start legal proceedings but they have to have good grounds and a loss for which the person they are claiming against is liable, for their case to be successful.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

From your post, there are no grounds for legal action here. Your father has a legal right to return items if they are faulty or not as described.

I agree with the above, it's an anger thing because it didn't go the seller's way - and if Ebay found in your favour in a dispute case, as long as you obtain a refund, I would forget about it.

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)