Flights and Snow Disruption

Moulty1969

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3962 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My husband has booked and paid for a flight for his 14 year old daughter to come to stay with us for a week after Christmas. We are a bit concerned as to how we stand if she gets snowed in at home and can not get to the airport at Glasgow. The flight can be changed but at a cost of £32. Is there any insurance we can buy to cover this possibilty?

My husband has booked and paid for a flight for his 14 year old daughter to come to stay with us for a week after Christmas. We are a bit concerned as to how we stand if she gets snowed in at home and can not get to the airport at Glasgow. The flight can be changed but at a cost of £32. Is there any insurance we can buy to cover this possibilty?

Travel insurance will often cover the possibility of the insured being unable to get to the airport on public transport otherwise the only advice is to either travel the day before and overnight in an airport hotel to ensure you are at check in on time.

You might want to check the excess on any travel policy you think about taking out. If you're just looking to cover the £32, you may well find there's an offset, can't remember what your average travel insurance has written into it offhand.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

• 3 months later...

Before starting a thread on this, there must have been many people affected by the snow cancellations of flights. My son has just been told by HSBC Travel Claims Insurance that he was not covered " if the the aircraft on which he was booked to travel is cancelled by the carrier"

Well during the snow closures Thompson were the very last to show their flights as being cancelled and he and his partner and 2 children under 3 had to go to the airport and wait while everyone else appeared to be told by their carriers the flights were cancelled. Even Gatwick airport were saying the airport was closed. He had to take his family back home and was told to go back the next morning which meant leaving at 3 a.m. Fortunately, just before he left in the morning he contacted Thompson and they told him it was cancelled.

HSBC are now saying that as the flight was cancelled by the 'carrier' the policy does not cover them.

This is absurd as who else was going to tell them the flight was cancelled other than the carrier?

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to who compensates who in all this? They did manage to get off a week later, but days were lost as he's self employed and he had all the expense (and incovenience) of having to return home again.

Does he go after the airline or the Insurance company?

Who takes the hit on this?

Thanks - I'll start a thread if necessary, but this thread seemed topical.

Edited by andrew1
typo's

Assuming this event happened when LGW was closed due to the snow chaos in December, then no compensation is likely to be paid as the event was one of 'extraordinary circumstances' which means the airline cannot be held liable for the cancellation. On the other hand they would be liable for your reasonable expenses whilst waiting for a rerouted flight as follows:

Article 9

Right to care

1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered free of charge:

(a) meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the waiting time;

(b) hotel accommodation in cases

- where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary, or

- where a stay additional to that intended by the passenger becomes necessary;

© transport between the airport and place of accommodation (hotel or other).

2. In addition, passengers shall be offered free of charge two telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or e-mails.

Assuming you went home by car between the original cancellation and the rerouted flight leads me to believe the only aspect the airline might be liable for is the journey home from the airport and the journey back to the airport to catch the rearranged flight. If you took a taxi or train or bus/coach then the receipted fare should be reimbursed but, as is more likely, if it was by car then you could try to claim a reasonable mileage rate airport to home and back to airport. The airline won't necessarily make it easy for you to claim this however.

The airline is not responsible for consequential losses such as time off work etc.

Full Reg here (for future use!): http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32004R0261:EN:HTML

That's very kind of you. I take it then that the Insurance company are not liable either?

Despite the crass way Thompson treated passengers I suppose they can hide behind this 'extraordinary circumstances' label then?

Thanks for the links and information, much appreciated. I'll pass it to my lad and hope he can move this on, but just to clarify one thing, it would be the 'airline' rather than the tour company I take it - although I think it was all Thompson, but if it wasn't and was say Monarch, but booked through Thomson it would be Monarch who he would ask for this?.

That's very kind of you. I take it then that the Insurance company are not liable either?

Despite the crass way Thompson treated passengers I suppose they can hide behind this 'extraordinary circumstances' label then?

Thanks for the links and information, much appreciated. I'll pass it to my lad and hope he can move this on, but just to clarify one thing, it would be the 'airline' rather than the tour company I take it - although I think it was all Thompson, but if it wasn't and was say Monarch, but booked through Thomson it would be Monarch who he would ask for this?.

The ins co are not liable for the items I have highlighted, these are purely down to the operating air carrier. Same goes for the second part of your question.