Brighthouse problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3860 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm hoping for a swift response to this as I need to contact Brighthouse tomorrow as they are expecting payment.

about 5-6 months ago my girlfriend and I bought a sofa from brighthouse, the payments weren't too steep and at the time we were on benefits and receiving child tax credits so we could afford to pay the weekly payments.

On the day that the sofa arrived, the delivery guys broke one of the feet, when they dropped the sofa off they gave us a foot and told us 'just stick that on the bottom of the sofa and it will be fine'. when we went to put the foot on the sofa we noticed 2 things. 1) the foot that we were given was different to the rest of the feet on the sofa and 2) the old foot had actually been snapped off and we couldn't get the pieces of it out. we were in town a couple of days later so we went into brighthouse to give them some money and told them about the foot, we were told that they would report it and we would be hearing from them about a repair.

In August of this year I was lucky enough to secure employment, the only problem with the job was that the pay was monthly pay, we went into Brighthouse and told them that we wouldn't be able to pay weekly but would be able to pay monthly, we were told that we would still be expected to pay weekly and if we didn't we would incur late charges. we again mentioned the broken foot on the sofa and asked when it was likely to be fixed, they said they would report it again and that we would hear from a repairman soon.

2 weeks into my first month of work, (bearing in mind that I hadn't actually been paid yet) we started receiving phone-calls from brighthouse demanding the money owed and that if we didn't pay they would be coming to repossess the sofa. we managed to get the money from a family member and paid the money over the phone the next time they called us.

we then started paying the money each week out of our tax credits, which was severely impacting our ability to support our then 9 month old son but we had to do this or we would have the sofa repossessed, on the 28th October this year, we went into brighthouse and paid the money that we owed plus 1 months money in advance which took us to the 5th of december in credit, we once again mentioned the broken foot on the sofa and the guy that we spoke to wrote down all the information on the repair and said he'd phone it straight through to head office, we went off into town and did what we needed to do and went home.

as of last week we have once more been receiving phone-calls from brighthouse demanding payment, when we asked them on the phone about the repair we were told that the 'docket' was only received on the 22nd November... Nearly 1 month after it was supposed to have been immediately phoned through to head office. We are struggling this month so we told brighthouse that we could pay them on this friday as my girlfriend receives payment from a temporary job that she has recently started. The person we spoke to on the phone informed us that they were expecting the payment on Wednesday 15/12/2010 and weren't prepared to wait an extra 2 days, even though their final day for a weeks payment is close of business on the Saturday.

I'm not disputing that we owe them the money, I just fail to see how when we've notified them on numerous occasions of a fault with the product and their subsequent failure to act on our notification that they can demand payment as heavily as they have been. Also, the fact that we've notified them that we can pay monthly but they deem that unacceptable.

hope someone can help.

Regards

a very worried

DLaver.

Hello and Welcome,

I'll move this thread to the Brighthouse Forum, hopefully someone will help you.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Have a look around this Forum you may find a thread with a problem similar to yours.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

having partially read the thread from plummerjon I've noticed a lot of mention about DD payments, we have tried to set up a DD payment with our local BH store on numerous occasions and have always been told that it isn't possible... Is this true or are they bull****ting us?

Hi all,

I'm hoping for a swift response to this as I need to contact Brighthouse tomorrow as they are expecting payment.

about 5-6 months ago my girlfriend and I bought a sofa from brighthouse, the payments weren't too steep and at the time we were on benefits and receiving child tax credits so we could afford to pay the weekly payments.

On the day that the sofa arrived, the delivery guys broke one of the feet, when they dropped the sofa off they gave us a foot and told us 'just stick that on the bottom of the sofa and it will be fine'. when we went to put the foot on the sofa we noticed 2 things. 1) the foot that we were given was different to the rest of the feet on the sofa and 2) the old foot had actually been snapped off and we couldn't get the pieces of it out. we were in town a couple of days later so we went into brighthouse to give them some money and told them about the foot, we were told that they would report it and we would be hearing from them about a repair.

In August of this year I was lucky enough to secure employment, the only problem with the job was that the pay was monthly pay, we went into Brighthouse and told them that we wouldn't be able to pay weekly but would be able to pay monthly, we were told that we would still be expected to pay weekly and if we didn't we would incur late charges. we again mentioned the broken foot on the sofa and asked when it was likely to be fixed, they said they would report it again and that we would hear from a repairman soon.

2 weeks into my first month of work, (bearing in mind that I hadn't actually been paid yet) we started receiving phone-calls from brighthouse demanding the money owed and that if we didn't pay they would be coming to repossess the sofa. we managed to get the money from a family member and paid the money over the phone the next time they called us.

we then started paying the money each week out of our tax credits, which was severely impacting our ability to support our then 9 month old son but we had to do this or we would have the sofa repossessed, on the 28th October this year, we went into brighthouse and paid the money that we owed plus 1 months money in advance which took us to the 5th of december in credit, we once again mentioned the broken foot on the sofa and the guy that we spoke to wrote down all the information on the repair and said he'd phone it straight through to head office, we went off into town and did what we needed to do and went home.

as of last week we have once more been receiving phone-calls from brighthouse demanding payment, when we asked them on the phone about the repair we were told that the 'docket' was only received on the 22nd November... Nearly 1 month after it was supposed to have been immediately phoned through to head office. We are struggling this month so we told brighthouse that we could pay them on this friday as my girlfriend receives payment from a temporary job that she has recently started. The person we spoke to on the phone informed us that they were expecting the payment on Wednesday 15/12/2010 and weren't prepared to wait an extra 2 days, even though their final day for a weeks payment is close of business on the Saturday.

I'm not disputing that we owe them the money, I just fail to see how when we've notified them on numerous occasions of a fault with the product and their subsequent failure to act on our notification that they can demand payment as heavily as they have been. Also, the fact that we've notified them that we can pay monthly but they deem that unacceptable.

hope someone can help.

Regards

a very worried

DLaver.

Hi - and welcome to our little BrightHouse corner at CAG... (actually, we're located in a downstairs broom cupboard, but we have been promised our own office soon...) :)

I understand the frustration you must be going through... Trying to negotiate with a BrightHouse store is a bit like trying to extract your own teeth. Painful, and things only get worse!

Setting up a DD would, in your case, probably be the best solution but BrightHouse really aren't geared up for this - even though they say they are. The thing is, your agreement requires WEEKLY payments in ADVANCE, and BrightHouse do tend to find it difficult dealing with numbers higher than 1...

You need to pin your branch manager down and insist he allows you to make MONTHLY payments in advance. He CAN do this. This will then prevent late payment charges on your account. Your first monthly payment (to get you ahead, and keep you in the black) will need to be for 5 weeks - this allows for the one week in advance you originally agreed to, and then puts you one full month in credit. You may still need to keep an eye on dates you get paid, though. If you are paid on a regular date each month, or the last working day of the month, you could STILL slip into arrears again because the BrightHouse payment system works WEEKLY... (some months have 5 Saturdays for example.)

Now then, as for your issues regarding the quality of the suite...

Are you paying for Optional Service Cover? If so, cancel it NOW (instructions on how to do this are in our BrightHouse Fact Sheet HERE). This is by far the biggest waste of money ever. As you are only (technically) HIRING the suite from BrightHouse - with an option to purchase it at the end of the agreement - all the consumer rights you need are right here in the SUPPLY OF GOODS (IMPLIED TERMS) ACT 1974. The suite should be fit for purpose, of merchantable quality, free from defects and durable. Make your complaint in WRITING (and copied to head office) making it absolutely clear what the fault(s) are, and what you require to remedy them. This has absolutely nothing to do with warranties, optional service cover, manager's favours, mince pies, pixie-dust or anything else. It is your RIGHTS as contained in the above act.

Finally, stop worrying about repossession. You appear to have done everything correctly, and BrightHouse simply CANNOT just turn up and reposses without having gone to court and obtained a court order - again, this is explained in the Fact Sheet HERE.

Good luck - and if you do encounter any further problems, or need any more help, you know where we are.

Cheers

Lefty

• Haha 1

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

Cheers for the response Lefty, my girlfriend has gone to pay the current balance today and I get paid on christmas Eve so We'll pop into the store and try and speak to the manager then. we've been reading all the threads on the OSC and we have recently acquired fully comprehensive home contents insurance so we're going to get the letter sorted and get it removed.

with regards to monthly pay, I get paid on the 28th of every month, unless the 28th falls on a weekend then we get paid the friday before.

I'll let you know how we get on after christmas

you can contact the customer services department on 0800526069...most people think this is a fob off line but the call will be passed back to the store manager but they must resolve the issue within 7days. Also ask for the service call again and ask to see the copy of the email they send as service calls of this kind are emailed to the upholstery department not by telephone.

direct debits are very easy to do at Brighthouse but most staff havent had the right training to do it on the new system they installed and the response is therefore "no we dont do it". be aware that Brighthouse collect their DD on the 1st of the month and they will require you to pay until the 1st of Feb if you do it now as they wont be able to set it up before Jan.

• 6 months later...

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.