• Tweets

• I agree with my site team colleague above. We need to know all the facts including which company you are dealing with and an explanation of the problem. It really is too difficult to start giving speculative advice on some speculative problem that you have laid out as a generalised scenario
    • Moorcroft are sending a rep round to my house this week. What is the best way to handle this? Ignore and not answer the door or engage with them? I haven't acknowledged anything since I started on this journey and defaulted on my cards in December 2022
    • Very sorry but with the best will in the world, I don't think we can at all understand what the situation is here. Please can you try rewriting this on a word processor and maybe send a copy of what you have written to a friend and working out together so that the story is complete but as brief as possible. Maybe a list of dates as well. If you can do that and then repost your story we can have a look
    • Hi, I am a local authority tenant and was in a 3 bed house. At the end of last year, my last child moved out and so did my spouse as we are now going through a divorce which meant that I was in the house alone and decided that I needed to downsize not only for myself but to offer the property to a family that needed it. I registered on the local authority housing bidding site as i was asked to do and I was accepted and given a priority banding as I was downsizing and they were desperate for my house. I have been extremely lucky and after about 6 weeks was accepted for a new build from a housing association via the housing gateway. I viewed the property 2 weeks ago and had to sign the tenancy last week when they were doing bulk signups for the houses and that is the day I moved. In between viewing and sign up, I contacted my current local authority landlord and asked how I give notice as I had been accepted for a property I had bid on and was moving.  The lady told me how to do it online and then said that I needed to give a full weeks notice which wasnt a problem as I had enough time.  (I was also told a weeks notice was what i would need to give by another staff member about a month ago when I phoned up for another housing related question.  I dont have any of this in writing.) I have now moved, handed back the keys and I am now being told that I need to give 4 weeks notice which I cannot afford. I hav e spoken to the council again explaining that I was told a week and that to be honest, if I knew they were going to charge me 4 weeks I would not have been able to move and would have stayed in the other house.  I thought I was doing the right thing. They said that calls are recorded and they asked me when I called in and was told a week and they would listen to the telephone conversation and if it was correct what I was told, they would see what they could do to reduce the notice period. They have now emailed me back and said that they have listened to the conversation and the lady said 4 weeks notice and I am liable for 4 weeks rent.  Now I may well of misheard her when I thought she said a full weeks notice she may have said 4 weeks notice but I am sure she said a full weeks notice and i was told a week by another member of staff a few weeks ago. I have emailed her back and said that I may of misheard but I would like to listen to the phone recording myself.  As yet they havent responded. I think its unreasonable for them to make me give 4 weeks when I had to sign the new tenancy with little notice or loose the property.  And it was all done through their gateway, and they will have a tenant in there pretty much straight away getting rent from them. I am on a very low income, I am on my own, I have serious medical issues and I am really getting myself stressed out over this. Any advice would be so appreciated.  Can I insist they let me listed to the recording? RH  
    • Susan Crichton is at the Inquiry today. She seems to have trouble remembering a lot of things but seems to find it easier if it's something that shows her in a good light.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Sick at work.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4875 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi There,

Quick question regarding where i stand here.

I am the Manager of a small shop, along with myself there are two other staff who work there Part time.

Yesterday After several days of not feeling well I Informed my boss( UK Store Manager) that i was trying to get hold of one of the part time members of staff to see if he could come in for the rest of the afternoon as i was feeling rather unwell and needed to go home.

I couldn't get in touch with this staff member and as the other part timer who was working with me that day couldn't stay any longer than his contracted hours I deciced to inform my Manager that i was closing the shop early as i was unfit to work there for the rest of the day.

He never got back to me regarding this.

This Morning I am still feeling very ill and emailed him explaining that i had tried to contact the Part timers to see if they could cover my hours in the shop. Again i couldn't one of them and the other one who was not rota'd in for the day cannot work either.

I told my boss all this in an email. He he never replied to this either.

He did however send me a text message asking if the shop was shut.

I replied stating that i had sent him an email explaining all. still no reply.

As far as I can see I have done everything in my power to get the shop open but I am not fit to work there today.

Is there anything wrong that I may be doing here?

This has never happened before as i have never been sick before.

With so few staff this was bound to happen some time.

I have no written terms and conditions and am actually due to finish working for this employer in two days time.

I pressume he thinks I'm just pulling a fast one on him but i am genuinely sick.

Should i be worried in any way?

Well if this helps,

I have had an email reply from my boss.

"Pls find a part timer to open the shop and run it as you are supposed to be managing them and it is not understandable that they are not "reachable". Pls fix this asap and let me know by text as I am not online most of today.

Could you also arrange a doctor's report as the headquarters are quite unhappy with yesterday and today's situation ? We need the documentation, thanks. "

I have tried ringing both of the Part timers to see if they can open the shop but one is unable to as he is busy all day as it is his day off anyway.

The other I cannot contact i have tried ringing him and texting still no reply.

I am actually going to the doctors today.

Sureley though I do not need to provide evidence from my doctor though for being unfit for work?

Can Anyone help me with this situation?

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/e_sickness_at_work.pdf

I would also tell him that you want to raise a Greivance about this situation, once your well enough to do so.

Make sure it is e-mailed to him. Then go see the doctor. Then get some rest. If you can't get cover from your staff as they are part-time, then it is your bosses job to find cover for you.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ResolvingWorkplaceDisputes/Grievanceprocedures/index.htm

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

The fact that you are going to be ill, and that your part-time employee will not always be able to cover if you fall ill. If your boss can tell you when your going to be ill,

then you can pre=plan the cover. Also it's your bosses job to get cover if you can't.

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

This may sound like a daft question. What would i be raising a grievance about?

Thanks again, off to the doctors now.

Be back later.

Ok been to the doctors, cant get an appointment till next week now! which time i will probably be back to normal health.

Just recieved a text from my boss now saying

"When I am sick and i cannot fix anyone else, I still go in sick.That is the only way, what else can i say?

The shop is your responsibility and you should be able to reach your part timers."

Am i doing anything wrong ?

Oh just received another text.

" Other than a couple of client calls to complain, we now have UPS calling us to say they have a delivery and no one here to receive it.

What would you like me to do or say?"

How do i handle this situation?

I may seem like im being a bit wet here, but I dont like being put in this situation.

MY last day is on saturday for this employer and im not just pretending to be sick.

So I have said I will try to go in tomorrow to accept this delivery we are due. Even though i probably wont be fit enough to work.

As seen as my last day is on Saturday anyway, what is the worst that could happen if i just told him to stick his job?

This would be my last resort of course, as im not that sort of person.

Hey all, how do i reply to this from my boss.

"There is no self certification form, and it is a bit meaningless that you certify yourself as sick :) Pls ask your GP or reception of surgery to document your appointment and the doctor's decision on your sickness. I guess he must have given you a prescription as you are so sick after your 2 days off, so pls scan this prescription. In legal terms, you have to bring in a report when you are away 3 days anyway, so their 7 day story is not compliant with uk labour law, they cannot do what they like, they have to go with this. I myself took a report for a day when I had emergency dentistry done. When you ask for it specifically and on these occasions, they have to give you. Pls be persistent and get me all documentation you can as HQ is demanding this, we have lost several hundreds of pounds yesterday and today. "

Surely I dont have to provide a note from my doctor. I shut the shop with 2.5 hrs left of the normal day yesterday and was off all of today.

I will be returning to work tomorrow even though i am not fit to do so pureley so i can accept a delevery that is due.

I went to the doctors but could not get an appointment until next week so there is no point then surely.

Hello there. I don't claim to be an expert, but I thought I understood that you had to self-certificate if you were off sick for a short period of time. Have you had a look at the directgov website? That should guide you through what to do. Please post again if you're stuck.

Btw, your manager sounds a bit of a twit.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks HB,

I have had a look at the directgov website and your right you can self certificate if you are off for less than seven days.

JUst worried that the company will try and say that i cost them money by being ill.

A self-cert will cover you for 7 days or less. IMHO, it seems to me that your boss is suspicious about your illness as you are just about to leave. But, this suspicion is unfounded if you have never been sick before. It is your bosses responsibility to cover the shop in the event of noone else being available. If he thinks that it is acceptable to only have one full timer and two part timers to cover a shop then thats his look out!! What does he have planned in terms of cover when you leave?? Could those plans not be utilised in this situation??

"In this situation, you know what you have to do? Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming." Dory - Finding Nemo.:wink:

Thanks for that.

I have emailed him with a link to the direct Gov website regarding sicknotes.

I am just worried that he or the company will say that i have cost them money with the shop being shut for a day and a half.

They cant claim for this loss of earnings can they?

As for the situation at work my boss has been interviewing for replacements at my place of work but hasn't actually said when or if someone will replace me.

After eventually getting through to my Part time staff. One of which is due to work in the shop on his own Sunday and Monday he was concerned what would happen if he went sick or couldn't get to work.

My Boss lives in London and the shop is in Manchester.

Still should i have any grounds to worry? I have done everything i could and have informed him with enough reasonable time.

Well i phoned ACAS they were quite helpfull, thanks.

My boss is however being a complete idiot about this though...

"In our company, self certification is not accepted. I know the site and the link you have sent me, but keeping shop close is very serious, so we are required to provide proper documentation. Normally, people lose their jobs for this kind of action. Pls talk to your surgery and ask for official documentation, no need for an appointment. If you like I can write them an official letter on this and you take it to them or e-mail, but get some documentation asap pls."

So i have given him the name of the NHS walk in centre i went to.

the plot thickens.

oh well only one day left after toady and im still feeling ill despite being back at work today.

He wont give me a self certification form.

You really need to toughen up, tell him that you will take the matter to an Employment Tribunal. Employment Rights are there for all Employees, he can't opt out because he feels like it. Tell him that you will also contact DWP about this.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Illorinjured/DG_10018786

"In our company, self certification is not accepted. I know the site and the link you have sent me, but keeping shop close is very serious, so we are required to provide proper documentation. Normally, people lose their jobs for this kind of action. Pls talk to your surgery and ask for official documentation, no need for an appointment. If you like I can write them an official letter on this and you take it to them or e-mail, but get some documentation asap pls."

the plot thickens.

oh well only one day left after toady and im still feeling ill despite being back at work today.

Why on earth would a self cert be ok for every other kind of employer but not him??

Somebody is peeved that youre leaving by the looks of things!!

"In this situation, you know what you have to do? Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming." Dory - Finding Nemo.:wink:

Hi Honey

It's a bit like a hollow threat so the boss backs off. The boss clearly doesn't understand Employment Rights.

Rebel, a tribunal is only likely to help if our OP has been there more than a year and I can't see how long s/he's been there from a quick scan of the thread.

HB

the plot thickens.

*HE* won't give you a self certification form? Your boss?

Well actually, he isnt the one to give it to you. You colelct them from your local GP - and you dont have to see your GP. Just ask the receptionist at your local surgery and she will give one to you. Simple as that.