bert-09
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4871 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI, wonder if anyone can help. I my partner and I claim working tax credits and child tax credits for her son. I have two daughters wholive with their mum most of the time but stay with us most weekends, during the week at times and some holidays.

My ex wife doesn't claim any tax credits as their income is too high. As I claim tax credits, could I claim child tax credits for my children? thanks in advance.

Didn't you ask this on the Money Saving Expert benefit forum?

HI, wonder if anyone can help. I my partner and I claim working tax credits and child tax credits for her son. I have two daughters wholive with their mum most of the time but stay with us most weekends, during the week at times and some holidays.

My ex wife doesn't claim any tax credits as their income is too high. As I claim tax credits, could I claim child tax credits for my children? thanks in advance.

Hello and Welcome, bert-09.

Hopefully you'll get some help soon.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

CTC can only be claimed where the claimant or their partner is the main carer for the qualifying child. Although you as a parent have a degree of responsibility as a carer of that child, tax credit consider a main carer to be "someone who is normally answerable for, or called to account for the child" From the limited information you have given, it appears that your ex wife is the main carer given that the children stay with her "most of the time". You could most certainly apply however there may be problems if your ex wife disputes the claim, or if tax credit feel that you are not the main carer for the purposes of a CTC claim. Child benefit cannot be used as a deciding factor per se, but as child benefit is normally paid to the main carer, this could throw suspicion upon the claim. You could phone the helpline for advice but in all honesty, they are call centre employees; they don't actually process claims and are not fully trained in the decision making in a claim, so I'd take anything they say with a pinch of salt. They've given me false information on a number of occasions.

I suggest if/when you apply, you make it clear what the position is from the outset to save any possible backlash later on. If you go to the benefits A-Z in the cagmag library, under "C" you will see links to the tax credit manuals which are used by tax credit when deciding claims. You can also search the manuals by inserting key words into the search bar.

People are welcome to post on other forums whilst asking the same advice on CAG - we don't keep members on leashes. In fact, I would conclude that it's very important that a person seeks as much advise from as many sources as possible to enable them to balance the information they are given.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)