Jump to content

Creditor or DCA?


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4035 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi Guys,


I am new to these forums I would really appreciate your kind advice. I’m in a situation where DCA are chasing me for debt going back 4 years. I lived at the address for 12 months, but DCA is chasing me for extra 6 month water bill which i have already provided them the proof that i don’t owe. Creditor is a water company to whom i had sent letter after receiving letter from DCA for the alleged debt. Water company has sent me the balance I owed them after amending their records and now DCA is also asking for pay up. I have written a letter to them both with evidence (council tax and tenancy agreement) of my stay and water company has accepted my proof but DCA seems to ignoring it as ususal and water company has amended the records and told that new amended bill will follow shortly with balance of £120. Whereas DCA is still sending me the same template letter since then, except - now they have included the amount as £600.


My questions are:

Can I just deal with Water company and settle the amount with them?

Do I report DCA to OFT of unfair debt collection and third party debt recovery?

It has been over 20 days since I had that letter from water company which stated my final bill will follow shortly but still no sign of it yet and i have already sent them follow up letter a week ago but still no response. Do I call water company to find out?


Thanks in advance.


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi and welcome to CAG


Is the amount that the amended bill contains ie £120 correct and outstanding?

Can you afford to pay in full when the bill arrives?


The post is terrible at the moment, so it maybe that the bill is just 'in the post'

You can of course ring the water company in question and ask where this amended bill is.


When it comes you can just pay it to the water company. If they refuse to accept the payment, tell them to put their refusal in writing. Do they want the money or not, you are in control


You do not have to deal with the DCA at all ( who is the DCA by the way)


When the outstanding balance has been paid to the water company, just tell the DCA ONCE that it is paid.

Then ignore any further letters and refuse to speak to them if the telephone.


If the frequency of their letters or calls become too much then report them to the OFT and to the water company that instructed them to collect on their behalf. They are responsible for the behaviour of appointed collectors.


Do not believe anything a DCA tells you, they will lie and intimidate in order to precure payment, wether you are liable to pay or not, they don't care, you are just a name, address and ref number on a computer which says you owe money, what ever you tell them they are not interested,

(computer says NO)


Don't let them bully you in to doing or paying anything


Have a nice xmas

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much for your advice alfwithhair, really appreciate your quick response.


DCA in question is Advantis.


I can afford to pay the amount in full direct to the water company so I'll just sit back and wait as per your advice for the billing breakdown.


one more question bothering me is :

Am I legally liable for admin costs/fees that the DCA may have incurred in chasing me or is this between the water company and DCA?


Thanks once again and Merry Xmas to you too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are not liable or obliged to pay anything to the DCA

When you ring the water company to find out why the revised bill hasn't arrived, mention to them that you are being harrassed by Advantis who have been instructed by them to collect an amount not due. Tell them you want them to contact Advantis and recall the account.


Also tell them that when you receive a correctly revised bill you will be making payment in full to them (the water company) and you will deal with nobody else.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Alf for the advice. Here is the update:


Rang water company and they transfered me to AJ & Co (some inhouse debt collectors) without telling me they were transferring me to them. Person was rude but i held my ground. I was given the correct closing balance i.e. £120 and he told me they have already sent me revised bill ( a lie i suppose) with the letter i received 20 days ago giving me the total balance of 120. Then i was shocked when he said they never got any letter from me after they sent me letter, I stressed that i done recorded delivery then he said ok let me check and found out hurrah yes they got it:-x. Then he said they will send me another copy of my revised bill.


Informed them about foul practices of Advantis credit who keep on chasing me for the wrong period again and again. He said they have updated advantis already. I told him that i received letter from them 2 days ago demanding amount which is not even applicable or liable. Then he said ok we will update and inform them. When asked why they are involved - he said coz they have been outsourced by us to find debtors. He confirmed verbally I won't be contacted by Advantis anymore (i bet they still try on to make a christmas bonus), Advantis - blodddy joke they are! Advantis or any DCA ain't getting penny out of me (thanks to Alf for boosting my confidence :-)).


When asked he confirmed bill will be payable to Water company only. i also stressed I'll only pay to water company.


I am waiting for the bill now-(hope it is not too long.......again........).


I guess it is good to be in debt just to know the foul practices of DCAs and to see how harrassing companies like Advantis turn out to be the lowlife leeches.


I really appreciate your help so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stick to your guns.

Pay the water company direct when you get the revised bill, by cheque or internet banking if possible, then you have some form of proof it as been paid should it be needed in the future.

Just ignore Advantis from now on. If the letters calls become to much just report them for harrassment


Enjoy your xmas DCA free

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Very happy new year everyone and especially Alf. Thanks for your very informative advice. Water company sent me bill and i paid the same day at my local bank. Now I have a proof the bill is paid and settled.If advantis or any other DCA sends me the letter i am just gonna ignore it. Once again without CAG it would have been really difficult to get through this. i'll donate surely to the cause. Happy new year. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...