• Tweets

• Hi I received a Parking Charge letter to keeper on Monday 15/04/24, the 17th day after the alleged incident. My understanding is that this is outside the window for notifying. The issue date was 08/04/2024 which should have been in good time for it to have arrived within the notice period but in fact it actually arrived at lunchtime on the 15th. Do I have to prove when it arrived  (and if so how can I do that?) or is the onus on them to prove it was delivered in time? All I can find is that delivery is assumed to be on the second working day after issue which would have been Weds 10//04/24 but it was actually delivered 5 days later than that (thank you Royal Mail!). My husband was present when it arrived - is a family member witness considered sufficient proof? 1 Date of the infringement  arr 28/03/24 21:00, dep 29/03/24 01.27 2 Date on the NTK  08/04/2024 (Date of Issue) 3 Date received Monday 15/04/24 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012?  Yes 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] No    Have you had a response?  n/a 7 Who is the parking company? GroupNexus 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Petrol Station Roadchef Tibshelf South DE55 5T 'operating in accordance with the BPA's Code of Practice'  
    • lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
    • Evening all,   So today, I was sent an updated offer that includes the £12.60 I spent on letters, but they have declined to add the interest at £7.40. They have stating 'We acknowledge your request to claim interest to date, however, this would be at the discretion of a trial judge if the claim did proceed to a trial hearing.' I think I am content with this outcome, and pushing this to a trial for a total interest of £15.30 throughout the claim does not make sense to me.   What are people's thoughts? I am sure our courts have better things to concentrate on?
    • FFRSG3424ListofEvidencepdf-V1 2-merged.pdfFFRSG3424ListofEvidencepdf-V1 2-merged.pdf 2pages T&C,s UCM
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Landlord won CCJ by default (unknown to me), now threatening bailiffs!!

spurious
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks! So what if he hasn't obtained a warrant of execution? Presumably he could go and get that any time he likes? Yes he can - it will cost him £100 which he will try to add to your bill. However easily dealt with when it happens - the Court Bailiff usually writes to you first. If the debt is for over £600 then he could transfer it up through the High Court into a Writ of Fi Fa and employ High Court Enforcement Officers, this is a different ball game as they just turn up but again you can deal with them by applying for a Stay of Execution.

The main thing I want to do is try and stop any enforcement of the original judgement until after the set aside application is dealt with. Is there any way this can be done?

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again for being so helpful; it's much appreciated. One last question...

Could he employ non court-appointed, private bailiffs? Presumably they'd also need a warrant of execution from the court, but if he's got that already they could just turn up?

The problem is that the landlord has insisted on using an old address where I don't live, despite me telling him I don't live there and providing my current address. That will form the basis of my application to set this aside, along with a threat of legal action for harassment if he continues to use an address he knows I am not at.

My concern is that he'd employ bailiffs to call at this address before I get chance to stop enforcement of the judgement. From what you've said, that would only be likely to happen if he already has a warrant of execution and has appointed bailiffs that aren' t affiliated with the court.

Thanks again for being so helpful; it's much appreciated. One last question...

Could he employ non court-appointed, private bailiffs? Only if he transfers up to the High Court, if he stays with a WoE then it is the Court Bailiff. Presumably they'd also need a warrant of execution from the court, but if he's got that already they could just turn up?

The problem is that the landlord has insisted on using an old address where I don't live, despite me telling him I don't live there and providing my current address. That will form the basis of my application to set this aside, along with a threat of legal action for harassment if he continues to use an address he knows I am not at. Depends on how long ago you advised him of your move, sounds as if he may deliberately used an old address to guarantee Judgment, after all the Court can only go by what they are told.

My concern is that he'd employ bailiffs to call at this address before I get chance to stop enforcement of the judgement. From what you've said, that would only be likely to happen if he already has a warrant of execution and has appointed bailiffs that aren' t affiliated with the court.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...

An UPDATE on this case...

The Court has decided, on the basis of a provisional defence I submitted along with my application to set-aside, to conduct a hearing regarding my application to get the Judgement set aside. As part of my application for this, I sent the Court letters showing that I had advised the claimant of my new address, which he deliberately didn't use. I also attached a copy of my current tenancy agreement as evidence of my current address.

The Claimant has written to my current landlord to tell him that I owe him money, and sent him the original Judgement Order, the tenancy agreement I copied to him and a letter from me to the Court. He is asking my landlord to confirm that I really am at my current property. I couldn't believe it. Surely by doing that he's broken some kind of data protection law? I intercepted the mail, which came damaged (i.e. open) to my address. It's one thing to ask a landlord to verify my tenancy, but quite another to send him private documents and letters that weren't even addressed to him, let alone my landlord!

I'd like to use this letter in the hearing to demonstrate the behaviour of the claimant. Can anyone advise what laws he may have broken, and how I can best represent that?

Thanks everyone :-)

The Claimant has written to my current landlord to tell him that I owe him money, and sent him the original Judgement Order, the tenancy agreement I copied to him and a letter from me to the Court.
He has clearly divulged personal data to a third party not directly involved in these proceedings. I'm not sure what law he has broken, but I'm sure more help will come. keep all the documents, and write to your current landlord & ask what impact this has had on your relationship. You could counter sue for damages when the CCJ is set a side.

against me for rent he claims was owed back in 2005
When exactly has he stated you defaulted on your rent. If it goes beyond 6 years, it becomes Statute Barred. Edited by debbbbsy
put if instead of when

• 1 year later...

My ex-landlady of a property I moved from last month is claiming unpaid rent which I dispute. She is claiming we had an agreement whereby I would pay money that there is no contract or agreement in place to demonstrate I am liable for.

Today I have received an email in which she states she will contact my employers within 72 hours to tell them I've defaulted on rent and that she is taking me to court. She justifies this by saying that 'my employers' provided a character reference (actually, one person from my workplace did this, but did not represent anyone in doing so). She states she will then pursue a small claims court case against me.

Now, I'm not terribly bothered about the court action because with no contract and no agreement, she won't have a leg to stand on, but contacting my employers will obviously have an impact on my reputation at work and standing in the eyes of my management.

I'd like to send her back a stern rebuke - can anyone let me know precisely what she's doing wrong from a legal standpoint?

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Is this a lodging contract or did you rent a whole property (house or flat)?

On what date did you move in? Did you pay rent - if so how much and how often? Did you pay a deposit?

When you left the property, did you give any notice? And if so when did you give notice and was it written notice?

Unless you were a squatter there must have been some sort of "agreement". In absence of a contract the above information plus the usual rules relating to tenancy contracts would establish your responsibilities.

What is the LL claiming?

Hi Steve,

This was a lodging contract for a single room. Notice was given and agreed, and the deposit returned. During my time in the property, both the LL and myself were bound by a standard assured shorthold tenancy agreement.

There was an informal agreement between myself and the landlord that the rent for the first part of the month I left would be paid at the end of that month, after I had moved out. This is the figure in dispute - the LL is claiming it's owed, however the deposit returned was less than that given and I have only paid the difference, leaving a figure the LL says is owed, but which I say is not.

Hi

IMO if the landlord does as stated contact your employers within 72 hours to tell them you have defaulted on rent and that landlord is taking me to court.

The contract is between you and your landlord and nothing to do with your employer and any claim dispute etc is between you and your landlord and that the landlord still has to comply with the DPA.

Dears Sir/Madam

Further to your email dated 05/12/2012 in which you state the following:

"you will contact my employers within 72 hours to tell them I've defaulted on rent and that she is taking me to court".

I must now clarify the following:

1. I have made you fully aware that at present I dispute your claim.

2. This is a Civil matter between you my Landlord and myself and nothing to do with my Employer.

3. Under which part of the Data Protection Act does is state that you as my Landlord are allowed to carry out the actions of informing my employer

As stated a Civil matter and nothing to do with my employer if you do carry out your percieved action of informing my employer, I will have no choice but to raise this issue of a breach of the DPA with the Information Commissioners Office.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks, and I agree. Quite aside from the legitimacy or otherwise of my LL's claims, I don't see what legal basis he'd have to contact anyone other than me or - if he feels so inclined - the court.

I know the DPA applies to organisations and companies, but surely it must also apply in this context. It just feels absurd that he'd contact someone I work for and disclose such personal information. I've no idea what can possibly be served by doing that, other than to use it as a threat of harassment.

Hi

I have to agree with what you have said now have a wee look at this link from ICO may be of use

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/housing/landlords.aspx

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Lodging contracts can be pretty informal. Even if an AST was used to define the contract, I do not think the strict AST rules apply (which results in some people owing more than they think they did)

So in short, if you think the correct amount of money was paid in proportion to the time you stayed for the final month, I'd write:

"You have withheld X of my deposit which covers rent for period 1st-Yth of November. This was as agreed between us. If you dispute this, please give your reasons in writing.

Do not contact my employee. As well as being highly unethical and tantamount to blackmail, I will regard such action as a breach of the Data Protection Act, defamation of my character and interference with contract between myself and my employee."

Personally I doubt whether DPA applies to lodging arrangements - but LL may not know that so the point is somewhat moot.

By the way, this sentence didn't quite make sense. I've assumed you mean that the LL has already deducted the amount you think was owed?

- the LL is claiming it's owed, however the deposit returned was less than that given and I have only paid the difference, leaving a figure the LL says is owed, but which I say is not.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to number these points to make it easier to follow. My landlord has taken a certain irreversible path, and my question here is what can I do to minimise the damage, and what counter-action can I take, including but not limited to reporting him to any regulatory body.

1. I lived in shared property for just short of three months, leaving mid way through the last calendar month. This arrangement was governed by an AST.

2. An informal agreement was made by email that the final few days of my tenancy would be paid for at the end of that calendar month, three weeks after I had moved out.

3. A few days later, my deposit was returned, less money deducted for unsubstantiated bills.

4. When the end of the month arrived, given the discrepency with the deposit, I asked for a copy of receipts/accounts of transactions throughout my short time as tenant.

5. The landlord refused to provide these, and demanded payment, claiming I was wasting time and evading payment.

6. I asked for a list of receipts/transactions (dates, figures, brief explanation) on ten separate occasions in writing over the space of around a month, explaining that I now needed to be certain that the figure claimed was properly substantiated.

7. I made a token payment (gesture of good will) which represented 25% of the amount being demanded. I assured that I was not evading payment and committed to full payment of an agreed figure within seven days.

8. The landlord point blank ignored my request for receipts and provided just a partial scan of part of a utility bill, attempting to explain the deposit discrepency.

9. The landlord has now levelled an allegation of 'fraud' at me, and has contacted both my current landlord and my employer, demanding payment through them and making vague threats. I know this only because they have told me.

I believe I have acted in good faith, and have demonstrated willingness to pay what is fairly owed via commitments to timeframes and payments demonstrating good will. I do not feel that asking for a record of receipts, especially in light of the discrepency with the deposit, is being unreasonable. I do feel that dragging in third parties including my current landlord and employer (and god knows who else he's contacted without telling me) is unreasonable on his part. He previously threatened court action but appears to be trying to strong arm his way through extortion.

So... what can I do? I can't reverse the contact he's made, and am working with both employer and landlord to repair that damage, but I won't be bullied and feel strongly that I am within my rights to withhold payment until at least I'm sent a few receipts and can establish what may precisely be owing.

Hi, Do you have a copy of the tenancy agreement?

The LLs actions in contacting your new LL and your employer in this manner is imo defamatory, and should be challenged.

If you are able and willing to follow through with it a letter before action may be the way forward, you list what the LL has done, said or written, and what you have

done to mitigate his claims, give him 7 days to come to an amicable agreement if he fails take him to court.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thanks, yes I have a copy of the tenancy agreement, and a copy of all emails sent/received. The LL has quoted back at me an email I wrote before the deposit discrepency came up, saying he agrees with my figures at that time, and that it's proof I accept and am liable for the payment.

The problem is, that email was written before the deposit was returned and the discrepency occured. That discrepency and the way it was handled caused me to have concerns about the figure owing, and all I've done is ask for a copy of the receipts/dates so I can contrast with my own records and agree a figure, whereupon I'll pay it. The LL seems to think this is totally unreasonable, even after I've paid part of the monies to him!

Anyway, I have yet to see precisely what's been said to either the employer/landlord but if it alleges I have committed fraud or deception, I will certainly pursue that. What would I claim for though? Would it be reasonable to seek damaged equal to the funds being demanded of me?

Hi

Have to agree with Brig that this could be defamatory him contacting your new Landlord and employer as this is a civil matter and nothing to do with landlord or employer and could also be a breach of the Data Protection Act (DPA) as well.

Was the deposit protected at all? - If it was then why has the landlord not disputed this through the relevant scheme before deposit returned.

Of course you are entitled to see reciepts/invoices otherwise they could put any imaginary figure and say you got to pay.

I would do as suggested by Brig

LL has contravened the Data protection Act if he discussed it with your current LL and other people.

That was my understanding as well, and I waned LL of this, however he claims to have discussed it with the Information Commissioner's Office and has been advised that the DPA doesn't apply in this scenario because he is a "private citizen unbound by the DPA". I'm unsure how true that is.

Defamation, embarasment, there are breaches of the DPA but that's a separate matter.

The LBA I think is probably the only way to pull this person into line.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Hi

What you were informed by the idiot landlord about the information commisioners offices advice is incorrect.

He was not acting as a Private Citizen but as your ex landlord when he contacted your new landlord and employer so I am afraid he is incorrect.

The main thing is to get these supposed cost sorted please do as Brig suggested and send a LBA.

You might also want to have a word with "Shelter" - they have a dedicated department that deals with problems of all kinds in respect of Rented properties.

I agree with the others, you are most certainly entitled to see copies of the bills that he is expecting you to pay.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks, I certainly will. I'll need to hold off on doing that until I've seen precisely what he's written to my employer/current LL, then I'll do that.

It would be really helpful if I could know precisely what law etc. he's broken (in addition to DPA). What law do you quote when suing for defemation, for example?

The letter before action would essentially given seven days notice that unless a full set of receipts etc. are received from the LL, I will take it to court and sue for the figure the LL is claiming (i.e. settle the matter that way). Does that sound reasonable? Frankly, I'd like to ask for further damages given the embarassment this is causing me. Things at home and work will now be particularly strained and awkward. Do you think I should name a figure? Or leave it to the discretion of the court?

That was my understanding as well, and I waned LL of this, however he claims to have discussed it with the Information Commissioner's Office and has been advised that the DPA doesn't apply in this scenario because he is a "private citizen unbound by the DPA". I'm unsure how true that is.

Highly unlikely he discussed it first with ICO and is chancing his arm hoping you won't pursue that angle. If you do, the LL will probably come very unstuck and may end up owing you a lot of money!