• Tweets

• Good luck to you and the family, London. I hope you've had some good advice from the local public health people.
    • Hi everyone, hope all ok here.    I have just received a letter from a debt collection agency asking me to pay a debt owed to British gas.    Upon checking my credit scores, i can see this debt shows up as settled and closed in 2016. Started in Dec 2015 and closed in July 2016 with £0 balance.    I have no recollection of owing anything to British Gas. It's a very small amount (around £40) but it has been bugging me.    Any idea if i should be paying this company?    Thanks for all your helps in advance. 
    • The company is called Ideal Window Solutions Below is a response from the manager to a request to cancel, them having cancelled the fitting on at least four occasions. In June it was arranged they would start at the beginning of August and each date they promised they have cancelled. .  I have been informed by the office that you said you want to now cancel after telling me that you will see it through till October. If you do cancel, as I mentioned to you, there will be financial penalties due to the fact that you have signed an official, legally bounding contract to supply and fit new windows. I mentioned to you that the glass has already been delivered and all other costs associated to putting your contract in place. If you cancel we will be looking to recover this from you. I don’t want this this to happen over a couple of days, which is out of our control. Can you please reconsider and get back to me.
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Cap One vs Me.....Bit of advice if I may

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3540 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I CCA'd Capitol one via recorded delivery over a month ago and heard nothing back even though according to my proof of delivery it says its been delivered.

Got a default letter today, have phoned Cap one to ask them were my CCA is and all you get is the bloke in Mumbai asking if I would very much like to make a payment.

Are they allowed to send me a default notice, as I thought the CCA request rendered the argeement in dispute if they couldnt produce it?

Or do I need to send a in dispute letter?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Hi

They can send a default notice

It is (IMO) better to send the A/C in dispute letter as it shows Cap1 that you know your rights

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks Silver fox, spoke to a chap and he told me until I send over a CCA with my correct signature on then they wont be providing me with any paperwork. I then explained that I didn't want it used to forge my paperwork and he went on to lecture me about ' we're a bank you can trust us'!! How naive I thought.

I was told not to sign it properly in case they copy it onto my documents etc.

Is there any way round this or do they have to have my exact signature to provide said documents?

Oh dear! Bank-Trust-complete oxymoron

A lot of 'banks' are doing this now. You could sign it but put some crosses through it or make it different to your usual signature but identifiable or even just use this

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19364&d=1277325754

Copy and paste to your word proceesing software

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

attachment.php?attachmentid=19364&d=1277325754

• 2 weeks later...

Got the letter today basically saying my signature is wrong and I need to send a copy of my passport or driving license bearing my signature otherwise they wouldn't send anything at all.

Can I just send my signature with the anti tamper bit on it or do REALLY have to send a copy of passport or driving license?

• 2 weeks later...

Right, Cap one are they only company out of the four that i owe money too that aren't playing the game.

They refuse to send the CCA and have sent a default notice and I had to pay £200 quid to get them to withdraw it. Basically they wont let me set up a payment plan unless I send them all sorts of stuff, bank statement and wage slips from the last few months etc.

Im not prepared to do this and legally I don't have to if I remember rightly, everyone you speak to at Cap1 is in some far flung country talking off a script and basically Im at the end of my tether with them. I cant afford to keep giving them 200 quid to call off the dogs!

Does anyone have a contact number for a call centre in this country or any advice as to what to do next?

• 1 month later...

Sorry to keep spamming my own thread, but once again I included a letter with my signature and the anti tamper strip etc and got the same letter back, please send us a copy of your passport or drivers licence, this lot don't give up.

Anyone else find Cap1 hard work? and what did you do?

Hi,

You could write back and say that you have never had a passport or driving licence and just include a copy of a utility bill