Provident Personal Credit - Urgent help required please!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4854 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Back in January 2009 I took a loan out with Provident Personal Credit for £300. Everything was going fine (bar their extortionate rates of interest) until 6 months ago, when the agent stopped calling. I made calls and sent letters asking for someone to call, but to no avail. I received one letter about 4 months ago asking for payment, and I spoke to head office, who assured me that they would deal with the matter. Yesterday (9th December) I received a 'Service of Default Notice' from their solicitors demanding the debt arreasr plus a payment plan to repay the outstanding amount.

Surely they are in breach of the contract by not fulfilling their side of the deal, and given that I have on more than one occasion requested visits to facilitate payment, do they really have a leg to stand on? Interestingly, my wife also has a loan for the same amount, and is in exactly the same place payment-wise, but has not received any such correspondence.

I am grateful that I no longer need to deal with financial emergencies by using such means, but I refuse to let this one go and capitulate to what amounts to a poor attempt to intimidate by a tin-pot law firm.

Has anyone experienced a similar set of circumstances as is able to provide a little guidance - your help would be most appreciated.

No other means of payment have been offered until this threat, and to be honest, the extortionate rate of interest is supposedly there to cover agent commission etc. so I am effectively paying for a service that I am not receiving by paying by other means. Many thanks for your comment.

Have you got your payment book, if so send them the copy of it (do NOT let the original out of your hands, if they say Head Office need it say you will get a certified copy) and let them know that no agent has called.

Take their letter to the local CAB office and they can help you deal with Provident, CAB don't like them at all and can get their 'solicitors for rent' off your back.

Should it go to court you would only be liable for the original loan amount, and I can help write a simple defence which should help. You MUST let us know if you get a claim fron Northampton Bulk Court and what the particulars of claim say.

• Haha 1

This is just off the cuff so edit to suit, but it might be worth sending them a cheque too; to show that you are at least making attempt to pay them...

Dear Sirs/ Madam

I am in receipt of your recent communication, I am finding this situation increasingly frustrating, I have been in contact with your office on numerous occasions to request a visit from a collection agent. I have been told on 2/3 separate occasions, not to worry and that the problem will be resolved. Despite paying a high rate of interest which I presume includes the commission paid to one of your collectors, I feel that your company have let me down badly and have not fulfilled your claimed service that you provide. Moreover your company have not provided me with any other means of making a payment.

I now require a copy of your official complaints procedure within 14 days, if this is not forthcoming I will have no other choice but to approach the Office Of Fair Trading, Trading Standards and my local MP.

Also if I have to write another letter to your company I will charge you £20 for the time it takes me to write and to post it.

I am not a 'won't pay' but it is hardly my fault if your collector fails to call !!

Please also note that I require instant removal of any default information as applied to my credit files.

Yours faithfully....

OK - so Provident have effectively washed their hands of the matter (spoken to area manager, district manager and the apparently 'correct' people at head office), saying that I have to deal with the solicitors. I am assuming that they must of sold the debt on to them ( I thought only factoring companies bought debts, not 'solicitors') Any ideas on the next step - should I call them or send a letter. I can't pay all the arrears at once, but I can pay some and would be able to repay at a rate that would clear the debt faster than their suggested rate. Why do they insist on making things more complicated than they need to be. I'm off work with a head injury at the moment and I could really do without this nonsense... Thanks in advance for your help - lesson learnt on using these parasites