Advice please...

scottyfocus

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4057 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have a letter through the door from a dca acting on behalf of Northumbria University saying i owe £200.

Now the debt comes from fines i was given when i lived in the halls of residence for having socks over my smoke alarm when i was smoking in my room. Yes, very stupid i know and would certainly not do again... This was 2 years ago by the way.

However i am incensed that they feel they can fine me over this so i do not plan on paying this "debt"

They are called STA Graydon and the juicy bits in the letter are as follows;

"Your failure to take the above action within 14 days could result in legal action, and this may involve:

STA Graydon instructing solicitors to commence legal action in the county/high court, resulting in a judgement/decree being issued against you,

Court action requires you to pay the full balance outstanding, plus interest, court fees and any other legal costs,

A judgement/decree being issued against you that can seriously harm your chances of getting credit."

It then says the same again overleaf but shortened. Underneath that there is a section saying if you cant pay the debt in full we will consider regulat installments however will need a full assment of your income etc etc...

Where do i stand with this, am i just going to have to pay up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

LOL - I cant see this going anywhere near a court, £200 in fines for smoking in a halls of residence, however I assume that you signed some sort of tenantt agreement?

did this come with any terms and conditions

as for the letter content, sounds like usual threatening b*llsh*t from these types of firms, although I cant say I have heard of these

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

OK just checked these are a firm of debt collectors, so they are threatening to take you to court, I would send a letter asking what exactly are you supposed to have done, and plead ignorance, or just ignore them, if they send you anything back I would be supprised

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Hi Scotty

There is no individual letter to assist your cause but try something like this

Dear Sir / Madam ref............

I am in reciept of your letter dated xxxxxx however can you please furnish me with more details from the alleged infraction / offence, your co-operation in this matter would be appreciated so that we can find a speedy resolve to this matter.

Yours Sincerley

The Phantom Smoker

Sommik like that,,or Just Ignore.

Mr non educated at Uni cos I couldnt handle all them parties

Regards..Mr Worried :)

Surely these charges are an attempt at levying civil penalties? That's a fraught area for any organisation attempting to do it.

If they are trying to argue that you are due to pay them because you breached your contract they are only entitled to claim their actual costs arising from that breach. In practice I suspect this is £Nil.

The original (and in my opinion still valid) argument about bank charges is that they were an attempt to do precisely the same thing. The banks squirmed their way out of that by arguing that they were levying charges for a service. It's almost inconceivable that the the college could do the same here.

Either ignore them or ask them for details of the legal basis on which they are attempting to charge you. If they or the debt collector have been stupid enough to place any adverse information on your credit file, you may, in fact be able to recover damages from them.

I thought the fine for breaking the smoking ban was only £50, where did they get £200 from?

That's a fine under statute and I think it's imposed by the police/ court. I think we're talking about something completely different here.

Just as I expected, with our knowledge and sock police we are gonna confuse Scotty. so then how about you write to them and ask for a simple explanation as to wtf they are on about.

Oh and count I was going to mention the sock police but I tried to keep it serious Ha Ha.

So then my student Scotty, computer, keyboard, type, spellcheck, print, post, recorded of course. then you can have a ciggy but stay away from smoke alarms.

Mr, tried to be serious but orlock moved the goal posts!

Regards..Mr Worried :)

at the end of the day unless they have photographic evidence of any misdemeanor it is your words against some jobs worth - ignore the fools

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

This has got to be amoung the funniest threads lol...

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private ;)

BB 13 - DCAs/banks and solicitors 0.

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

<--- If you feel I've helped, please twinkle my star :)