Work Suspension

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4885 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have now been suspended from work for 5 weeks. The only communication I have received from my employer is a letter confirming my suspension on full pay. As I am due to be paid next week, I am rather concerned that this will happen. Should I contact my employer or just wait and see?

I have now been suspended from work for 5 weeks. The only communication I have received from my employer is a letter confirming my suspension on full pay. As I am due to be paid next week, I am rather concerned that this will happen. Should I contact my employer or just wait and see?

Personally, I'd wait and see. What have you been suspended for? I would say that on the face of it, five weeks is excessive - have they had any contact at all in this time?

Hardly that excessive and nowhere hear a record! Such a suspension would not be at all unusual - and also depends on what they are investigating, doesn't it?

Agreed, with the very limited info given by the OP. I've known suspensions last a lot longer, however it seems odd that all the OP has had from the employer is an initial written conformation of suspension.

Perhaps the OP could come back with some more info.

Personally, I'd wait and see. What have you been suspended for? I would say that on the face of it, five weeks is excessive - have they had any contact at all in this time?

My employer tells me they have received an allegation against me for psychological abuse against a resident and intimidation of other employees. I have actually been involved in completing investigations and have never known them to continue for more than 7 days without further contact from the employer. If not actually a legal requirement, then sureley a common courtesy don't you think?

I would say the first thing is to do is look at any documents you have disiplinary rules etc. That should outline the basics of what your company is expected to do and you can raise relevant queries if they miss certain things out, although of course it would be best practice to keep you fully informed, I couldn't say that this is a definitive legal requirement. Suspensions are generally veiwed as neutral acts, if you have some questions or want the disciplinary policies there shouldn't be an issue contacting your emplorer (HR if possible) by say email and asking for them. I think 5 weeks may not be excessive but it depends like SarEl states. Public sector are well known for a lot, lot longer. Your own suspension being out of character to others is something you of course can raise in regard to your employers reasonableness (if out of line with polices) but this can be justified depending on the circumstances e.g if I am investigating bullying and must speak to 100 employees and take detailed statements it is practically impossible to get it done within 7 days, unless you waste many resources and is this then reasonable (I exaggerated this but you see my point).

Plus your legal right to the pay you are talking about does not accrue until your pay day, so I would probably wait as well unless you wanted to confirm the pay issue while asking for disciplinary polices .

Edited by Offkey81
poorly written