List of debts, advice please.

Bedonde

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4068 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Currently have a court claim with Bryan Carter solicitors over a £1300 debt, which I've taken advice for in the legal forum and that's being sorted so aside from that,I thought I might attempt to sort out other debts myself and my partner have before they get to that stage and wondered what (if anything I can do about them).

Here's a list of debts and what the letters say/stage they are at :

1. £288.42 (Orange phone debt) - now passed on to Midas Legal (litigation warning letters)

2. £208.64 (Orange phone debt) - now passed on to Moorcroft (notice of possible litigation)

3. £275.67 (Orange phone debt) - now passed on to Moorcroft (monthly installment offer)

4. £1030.19 (2 x Orange phone debts bundled together) - now passed on to Moorcroft (notice of possible litigation)

5. £564.10 (Phoenix Recoveries, orginally a catalouge debt) - now passed on to Bryan Carter (Final Notice)

6. £902.49 (Shop Direct, old catalouge debt) - now passed to Hamptons Legal/Lowell Finance (Threatening CCJ)

7. £3500 (Abbey National Credit Card Debt) - got passed to a debt collection agency, who then passed back to Abbey, then passed to CapQuest (haven't heard anything for a 3-4 months now when the last letter was sent)

8. £243.53 (Littlewoods) - now passed to CapQuest (Letter before action)

I think that's it. Is there a letter I can send for the catalouge debts - a "prove it" or something? - The Orange ones I'm not sure what I can do, the reason for those is (after me being a loyal customer for years) they breached contracted and massively overcharged me. I had no way of proving it and they wouldn't budge at the time so I just stopped paying and left them.

The Abbey account is an old credit card from about 2 years ago it was ran up and I unfortunately lost my job at the time so couldn't pay it back.

Any advice is appreciated, so I can get rid of/sort out what needs to be sorted.

Edited by Bedonde

There is a prove it letter. I think it's in the library, otherwise give me a shout and I'll post one on here for you.

When you say you can't prove the charges Orange made, why can't you send them an SAR which would give you the details of your contract, payments and any charges. Surely this would provide proof?

I'm thinking filing for Bankruptcy could be an option for me, as the largest debt (Abbey National/Santander) is in my name and there's no way I can pay it. I've briefly looked into it but not sure on what they would take out of my house etc or if they come back every six months to re-evaluate the situation?

I see you've also posted this in Debt Management. Best to ask admin to merge to one thread otherwise things will get confusing!

Yes I did and will do, (who is admin??) I thought it would be better off over here perhaps.

Two threads merged :-)

Bedoned,

I've unapproved your duplicate thread and moved Tingys reply here, hope thats ok.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

I'm thinking filing for Bankruptcy could be an option for me, as the largest debt (Abbey National/Santander) is in my name and there's no way I can pay it. I've briefly looked into it but not sure on what they would take out of my house etc or if they come back every six months to re-evaluate the situation?

We went to see CAB 2-3 years ago with huge debt problems. They advised the only sensible route for us was bankruptcy, BUT and it's a BIG BUT they said don't declare yourself bankrupt, wait for one of your creditors to make you bankrupt then they pay for it.

It took us a while to come to terms with it, but think it's the best thing that could happen and would give us a fresh start. Here's the ironic bit. Now we don't mind writing to or even if we have to talking to DCA's etc.... when we do and ask them to make us bankrupt they are totally backfooted. So here we are 2-3 years down the ine, very relaxed about our debts, but nobody will make us bankrupt - we keep asking them to, but they won't. I guess at the end of the day it costs them money and they don't get anything back for it.

I can't help you with itty gritty details, though I'm sure if you google it you'll find loads, but thought this might be worth sharing.

Thanks for the advice regarding Bankruptcy. The problem I have (if I went down that route) is that I'm part-time self employed and also get working families tax credits, I'm not sure if I would be able to continue working self employed? I'm not a company as such it's just part-time cleaning.

We went to see CAB 2-3 years ago with huge debt problems. They advised the only sensible route for us was bankruptcy, BUT and it's a BIG BUT they said don't declare yourself bankrupt, wait for one of your creditors to make you bankrupt then they pay for it.

It took us a while to come to terms with it, but think it's the best thing that could happen and would give us a fresh start. Here's the ironic bit. Now we don't mind writing to or even if we have to talking to DCA's etc.... when we do and ask them to make us bankrupt they are totally backfooted. So here we are 2-3 years down the ine, very relaxed about our debts, but nobody will make us bankrupt - we keep asking them to, but they won't. I guess at the end of the day it costs them money and they don't get anything back for it.

I can't help you with itty gritty details, though I'm sure if you google it you'll find loads, but thought this might be worth sharing.

If your debts are below £15k and you have disposable income of less than £50 per month and little in the way of assets you could consider a Debt Relief Order instead:

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=37_debt_relief_orders

Thanks for the help and suggesions everyone :)

Sequencii - that looks very interesting I will have a proper look tommorow and maybe give them a call see what occurs and then post back, cheers.