theminor

Out of 'warranty' = out of luck!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3187 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I have a Sony Vaio laptop just coming up on three years old, purchased from my local Comet. A few months ago two keys became detatched that I've clipped back on, but now the pins have become worn and they'll only stay on a few mins before dropping off again, so today I've tried to reach Sony about a repair. What a nightmare! My local Sony centre say they're not a 'repair' centre, try this mob instead. This mob say they are a repair centre, but not for laptops, try Vaio UK instead. Vaio UK have automated answering that demands a serial number before speaking to you, and the sticker with that on it has gone from under the machine. No serial number? No speaky, go away. Trip to the shed and miraculously find original box, ring back local Sony centre to get help deciphering the various numbers on the box into a serial number, and ring back Vaio UK. Input serial number at request, and get told 'its out of warranty'. Out of warranty? No speaky, go away. Somewhat irritated that after an hour on the blower I've still not got someone to even give me a price on a repair, I decided to speak to the retailer.

Miracle number two - I've still got the original till receipt showing I got it at Comet. Ring Comet and say that I've been trying to get someone to quote for a repair but keep getting stonewalled, and that since the E and S are pretty indespensible characters in the English language this is effectively making my otherwise serviceable machine a write-off. Suggest further that the Sony Vaio is definitely a premium priced product and that I've got every right to imagine it'd last longer than this before being a write-off. Nice helpful lady at Comet says she's happy to collect it for inspection for the somewhat outrageous price of sixty quid. Then once they've performed this very complex and detailed inspection (or alternatively once they've opened the lid and glanced at the keyboard), THEN they'll charge a further fee IF they can fix it.

Ummmm, it doesn't NEED an inspection, dear, I can SEE perfectly well what's wrong with it - its got two keys missing. What I'm after is a price for a new keyboard fitted. Nope, says lady, no can do. You have to give us sixty quid first. Only then will we have a look to see if we can get a new keyboard, and give you a price for it. If we can't get a new keyboard, you're out another sixty quid and you've still got a knackered laptop. If we CAN get a new keyboard, but its another hundred and fifty quid to supply and fit it so you don't want to bother, then you're still out the extra sixty quid and you've still got a knackered laptop.

So, am I being 'unreasonable' by saying that I'm not happy with that? I'm effectively being held to ransom here - I can't even discover whether its appropriate to shove a new keyboard on without having to pay a pretty hefty sum. I'm not even sure that I should be paying for a new keyboard anyway - the laptop only gets VERY modest use and its an expensive model, shouldn't it last longer than three years? And even if, for example, the keyboard should only last til now, doesn't the consumer have a right to know the likely cost of a repair without having to pay, in circumstances where no detailed inspection is necessary to ascertain the problem?

I've only once used SOGA against a retailer and that was extremely straightforward - I told Blockbusters that my 2 year old Wii should last longer and they immediately agreed and gave me another one! Thanks for any and all advice

Hmm. I don't think Comet is on the right page!

To the OP - if the key pins are malformed, a contact glue will work wonders. Sony Vaio have a UK repair centre, AND they provide out-of-warranty service for a fixed fee (for most faults) so I've no idea why you believe you have had this issue, unless oyuu phoned the Warranty Returns department in error.

Hmm. I don't think Comet is on the right page!

To the OP - if the key pins are malformed, a contact glue will work wonders. Sony Vaio have a UK repair centre, AND they provide out-of-warranty service for a fixed fee (for most faults) so I've no idea why you believe you have had this issue, unless oyuu phoned the Warranty Returns department in error.

Comet haven't been on the right page since my issue began...

Thanks for the advice, but who the hell knows which department I phoned at Sony - they don't bother to identify which section they are until you log in with a product serial number, and then they tell you its out of warranty and kindly s*d off without bothering to even have a human speak to you. They DO say here's another number to try, b then go on to say that its a premium rate number. Having experienced the garbage they purport as customer advice, I'm buggered if I'm going to pay for it!

Or you could buy a whole replacement keyboard from e-bay for under £40 and just replace it yourself and save yourself a lot of aggro and more to the point not having to send your laptop anywhere for god knows how long...

Dunno what number you've been dialling, but it most certaqinly isn't Premium Rate. It connects to a Dublin Call centre and thery arrange delivery of a box to ship (if required) the documentation needed to fill in, and arrange for a courier to collect.

All pretty slick and painless.

Guest Comet Response
I have a Sony Vaio laptop just coming up on three years old, purchased from my local Comet. A few months ago two keys became detatched that I've clipped back on, but now the pins have become worn and they'll only stay on a few mins before dropping off again, so today I've tried to reach Sony about a repair. What a nightmare! My local Sony centre say they're not a 'repair' centre, try this mob instead. This mob say they are a repair centre, but not for laptops, try Vaio UK instead. Vaio UK have automated answering that demands a serial number before speaking to you, and the sticker with that on it has gone from under the machine. No serial number? No speaky, go away. Trip to the shed and miraculously find original box, ring back local Sony centre to get help deciphering the various numbers on the box into a serial number, and ring back Vaio UK. Input serial number at request, and get told 'its out of warranty'. Out of warranty? No speaky, go away. Somewhat irritated that after an hour on the blower I've still not got someone to even give me a price on a repair, I decided to speak to the retailer.

Miracle number two - I've still got the original till receipt showing I got it at Comet. Ring Comet and say that I've been trying to get someone to quote for a repair but keep getting stonewalled, and that since the E and S are pretty indespensible characters in the English language this is effectively making my otherwise serviceable machine a write-off. Suggest further that the Sony Vaio is definitely a premium priced product and that I've got every right to imagine it'd last longer than this before being a write-off. Nice helpful lady at Comet says she's happy to collect it for inspection for the somewhat outrageous price of sixty quid. Then once they've performed this very complex and detailed inspection (or alternatively once they've opened the lid and glanced at the keyboard), THEN they'll charge a further fee IF they can fix it.

Ummmm, it doesn't NEED an inspection, dear, I can SEE perfectly well what's wrong with it - its got two keys missing. What I'm after is a price for a new keyboard fitted. Nope, says lady, no can do. You have to give us sixty quid first. Only then will we have a look to see if we can get a new keyboard, and give you a price for it. If we can't get a new keyboard, you're out another sixty quid and you've still got a knackered laptop. If we CAN get a new keyboard, but its another hundred and fifty quid to supply and fit it so you don't want to bother, then you're still out the extra sixty quid and you've still got a knackered laptop.

So, am I being 'unreasonable' by saying that I'm not happy with that? I'm effectively being held to ransom here - I can't even discover whether its appropriate to shove a new keyboard on without having to pay a pretty hefty sum. I'm not even sure that I should be paying for a new keyboard anyway - the laptop only gets VERY modest use and its an expensive model, shouldn't it last longer than three years? And even if, for example, the keyboard should only last til now, doesn't the consumer have a right to know the likely cost of a repair without having to pay, in circumstances where no detailed inspection is necessary to ascertain the problem?

I've only once used SOGA against a retailer and that was extremely straightforward - I told Blockbusters that my 2 year old Wii should last longer and they immediately agreed and gave me another one! Thanks for any and all advice

Hi theminor

Its Matt from Comet here.

Based on the information supplied, although any repairs that are required would be done so on a chargeable basis, it seems unreasonable to expect you to pay an inspection fee in order to obtain a quote for the cost of replacing the keyboard to your laptop.

If you would like to email me the model number of your laptop, I am happy to investigate further, with a view to providing an estimated cost of repair. Please quote your username ‘theminor’ when sending your e-mail in.

https://comet.custhelp.com

Apologies for the previous post. We have now deleted this.

Kind regards

Matt

Edited by Comet Response

Hi there

I was wondering if you could help me.

I purchased a washing machine 5/08 with 5 year warranty. Machine broke down in sept 2010 I phoned up they could not find my extended warranty details on their system they had no details of billing or delivery address. I gave them all my puchasing order details (date/make model/policy number) along with both delivery and billing address. I spent 3 days trying to sort it out, I assumed the warranty had not gone through properly. All they could find was an xbox we have purchased 3 years ago.I did not have any time to waste I needed my machine fixed.

I could not do without my machine so I had a machine repair man fix it.

It broke down again on the 7th feb I insisted they kept looking for me on their system I faxed through my purchasing invoice once again for proof of purchase.

They still couldnt find it, it took 10hrs worth of phone calls (which I can prove from my phone bill) until they eventually found it. The repair guy went out 3 weeks later (since I first reported fault) on 21st feb but could not find address????? They had put incorrect details on system.

When they did turn up eventually they said I have voided my warranty as I had an independant person replace the belt on the washing machine. I am so upset.I had to get this person out as they told me I had no warranty, why would I want to pay extra. AAAAHH.

So after them not recognising my details, 10 hrs of calls over 3 weeks, repair man could not find address (right in centre of town??) I have to buy another one.

That washing machine cost 279.99 ,149.99 extended warranty and a fortune on phone bills, not to mention the stress. I will not let this lie. I am raging. Please help me!!

Can you help me please thanks