Southern water problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4879 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Out of the blue got a letter from southern water aout a property we rented 4 years ago.

Asking for an overdue amount and threats of legal action blah blah

I emailed asking them for the time period which they hadnt given and low and behold it starts 3 months before we moved in and ends just after we moved in, so Im assuming its to do with the previous tenant

We didnt leave the house on very good terms as my husband lost h is job and we had to move out within 2 months of moving in so the rental agency were horrible with us.

Im about to write back and tell SW that we were only there for about 6 days of time period they are talking about, but what else can I do as I am sure they wont leave it at that

Any help appreciated

yeah Im amazed really and its £60 not like its a huge amount, my only concern if we say we were there for part of it they might try and pin it on us, I know the start date they are talking about we were still in the old house as my husband went into hospital and I started a new job so its something you dont forget. I expect as we didnt get on too well with the agency theyve just given them our name.

actually ive just realised they have our name down for over a year there! we were there 2 months! and I know the place was sold not long after we moved. Can anyone help with a letter not sure how to word it?

Hiya

Ive had a reply this morning. They have suspended any action until January but as saying we need to prove that we only lived there for that period and that their records are showing we were there so must be correct!

This was over 4 years ago I dont think I have any documentary evidence from then as it was so long ago and weve moved a lot since then. Why should we have to prove it, their records are wrong.

Ok ive gone back and asked for a copy of the original bill as they are saying we owe £60 for jan 2006 -april 2007 which is far too big a window for that tiny amount.

Edited by summer30

Hi Summer

I would just provide details as requested, other wise your going to end up back to square one. If you informed your bank of your new address, then they will have statements going back 6 years. If you send your bank a SAR Request they will send statements for at least 6 years. It will cost £10 and they have 40 days to respond. I'm not sure how much one statement will cost. But it has to have the address that provides the proof. Council Tax, there are so many sources. If you need extra time tell them now.

unfortunately im a bit stuck there as im no longer with that bank my account was defaulted

I can however get in touch with the lettings agencys for the starts and end of our tenancies either side. But I want to know when the amount is for because at the minute they could just pin it on us and go ohhh yes its for the dates you were there,

I have a sneaking suspicion its the agency that told the water company the dates, they were quite threatening in the days before the deposit scheme etc. I can though get dates from the previous agency and the one after which will say when our new tenancy with another cheaper property started.

ok email from them today saying that the actual period the amout is due for is as stated Jan2006-April 2007, thats not possible, it cant be £60 for over a years water! they are emailing a bill as I asked for because surely it should give the actual dates if not I getting more and more frustrated with them.