Invoice for faulty goods returned 20 months ago, is it payable ?

jayc001
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4662 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I puchased 4 tires online in early 2009 (I'm in the UK, supplier is UK based but everything ships from their HQ in germany). 2 of them soon became defective (sidewall seperated from the the tires. I took photos and requested to return them to the supplier (located in germany). They issued a returns form and collected the tires. Shortly after (within a week) they refunded the amount to my credit card.

Now out of the blue 20 months later they have contacted me saying the manufacturer has stated the tires were not defective and are invoicing me for the 2 tires.

Are they in their right to do this? Is there a time span in which they should have acted as 20 months seems a very long time?

Anyhelp appreciated.

Hi Jay

Welcome to CAG

The guys will advise as soon as they are available. That sounds very suspect, they might be pulling a fast one. Have you still got the pictures? And why did they refund, if the products weren't faulty?

Yes I still have the pictures and can likely find the original emails and returns form. Below is from the email I recieved yesterday :

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxx

In reference to your complaint about xxxxxxxxx dated xxx we would like to inform you that the complaint was declined by the manufacturer.

We have attached the letter from the manufacturer for your information.

Since the result of the assessment verifies that the goods are not faulty, we are entitled to invoice you for the replacement tyres (see verdict of the Braunschweig District Court (Az. 4 S 385/04)).

Please advise us until 13.12.2010 if you would like the declined goods to be returned to you. Should we not hear back from you by the given date, we will dispose of the goods.

We would like to thank you for your reply in advance.

There was no letter attached however.

Below is a copy of the second email which is the invoice :

Order confirmation and invoice no xxxxxxxxxxx

Invoice date: xxxxxxxx

Items ordered:

Item No.: D-103024

Item: Nankang NS-2 225/30 ZR20 85W RF with rim protection, BSW (Su)

Quantity: 2

unit price net: 85.36 GBP (100.30 GBP brutto)

-----------------------------------------

Total amount net: 170.72 GBP

Transport and delivery costs net: 0.00 GBP

Total amount net: 170.72 GBP

17.5 % VAT 29.88 GBP

Total sum: 200.60 GBP

=========================================

Please transfer the total invoice sum of GBP 200.60 within 7 days remembering to include the order number xxxxxxxx into the following account:

What concerns me is they will charge the credit card I used for the original order. Can they do this? If they do can I dispute it?

Why do these things always come up at Christmas, as if i don't have enough to spend out on!

Cheers for the replies folks!

Edited by MARTIN3030

Speak to your credit card company.

If they did charge your credit card, you could do a Chargeback.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/your-rights-when-paying-by-credit-card/chargeback-on-credit-and-debit-cards/

Get your Credit Card company to deal with is matter. See what they say.

SOGA - http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/know-your-rights/SGAknowyourrights/

• 1 month later...

Hi Jayc,

In response to your Reported Post with concerns about possible libel, I see no reason to be worried.

You rejected items on the basis of substandard quality and received a refund. Some 20 months later, the supplier says the goods are fine and you have to take them and pay for them.

If they had come back in 1 or 2 months (bearing in mind the overseas connection), they may have had a case to argue. But to revisit the issue 20 months later is nonsense.

If you haven't yet replied to the recent demand, you should write to the UK supplier saying:-

I have taken advice in this matter and confirm my view that the tyres were of poor quality and not fit for purpose. I have no use for them now and will not take delivery of the items, nor will I pay for them.

Furthermore, it is not reasonable for you to demand payment for items that were returned to you 20 months ago.

Any further demands from you will be referred to Consumer Direct and Trading Standards and I will not enter into any further correspondence in this matter.

8)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 6 months later...

Hi Jayc and thanks for the update.

Sounds like you've heard the last from them, touch wood !!

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)