I have a problem with a neighbour in the complex where I live.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4886 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have a problem with a neighbour in the complex where I live. My flatmate owns the apartment that I live in and I rent a room from her. There is one designated car parking space for each property but there is plenty of visitor spaces so I always park there. However, due to the recent heavy snow the visitor spaces are inaccessible, I can't get to them without getting my car stuck so I have been parking along the kerb, where I am not blocking anyone else, and there are no double yellow lines. This kerb runs along the side of this neighbour's house and they have a major problem with anyone parking there. They also are heavily involved in the resident's association (surprise surprise!) and have been leaving notes on my car as well as coming out to shout at me. There is a tiny sign on the side of their house saying no parking and that you'll be towed away at your own expense but it looks to me as though they have just bought that sign and put it up themselves, there are no other signs in the car park. I realise that under normal circumstances I should park in a designated space but this weather is extreme and none of the other residents have complained to me and I am not causing an obstruction. I'm just wondering where I stand, do they have the right to have my car towed? Do they have the right to come out and shout at me for parking in the only accessible spot I can find? I'm really stressed and annoyed about this, I feel that they are trying to bully and control all the other residents and are behaving as though this common area is their private property. Any helpful information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello and Welcome, ancailinrua.

I'll use your 1st post to start a new thread, I'll send you a 'link'.................

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi and welcome to CAG.

As you have mentioned 'no yellow lines', Is the area where you are parking on (which is annoying the neighbour) classed as a public road or part of?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Hi,

thanks for the replies. I don't think it's classed as a public road because it's a parking area for the entire complex, there's no other access to it. I don't know about the lease, my flatmate owns the apartment and I didn't sign a lease when I moved in, maybe she had to a lease for using the public area, I'll ask her. Someone has dug out the visitor parking area and I can finally park there again, thankfully so haven't been shouted at recently! Fingers crossed there's no more snow! Thanks for the suggestions

Buy them a box of chocolates and go around and see them, saying you are ever so sorry and that you are only parking there because of the snow. People get so caught unaware by this they do not know what to do and usually just reciprocate and are nice.

These types of disagreements get out of all proportion to their actual worth.

If they are reasonable people they should be fine and the matter is resolved, if not you have lost nothing, save the price of a (small) box of chocolates.

Small minded people have small and empty lives.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

Hi,

yeah I see the point you're making and in another situation I think it'd be a good idea but I really don't think they are at all reasonable. I've heard that they've been giving another couple in the complex grief over the same issue, so I think this is something they're been running with for a while. I'm just going to ignore them and park and run if I ever need to park in that spot again! I agree bout them being small minded, must be a very boring life if their major concern is me parking beside their house occasionally! Thanks for the replies, the support is nice, I know it's silly but I really hate confrontation and found all this really stressful. Think I'm over it now though x