Withdrawn job offer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4890 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, :whoo:

Wonder if you can help or advise on this one.

I applied for an internal promotion to manager with the company I work for. Last week I was told I was successful and offered the job (verbally). I was offered a salary - which was not as much as I though it was going to be. We started to negotiate and the salary increased, albeit marginally. I asked if I could go away and think about it.

I then came back to my employer and asked – basically can you meet me in the middle and offer half of what I was asking, which actually physically enraged my boss who stormed out of the room muttering expletives!

There was then a day of stale mate where neither of us said anything about the offer. Then the day after that he called me in, and said he had re- interviewed an external candidate and offered him the job.

At no point did I say I was declining or refusing the position as far as I’m concerned we were still in negotiation on the salary.

I admit I’m guilty of sticking my neck out and asking for a little more cash – you can’t blame a guy for trying!! But can he do this (I can probably guess the answer) but more to the point is there anything I can do?

I stress again – at no point did I decline the job, and I do have a witness who was there when he offered me the job.

Look forward to you answers / comments

Cheers :|

They would be within their rights whether they had put it in writing or not. For a start off - it wasn't a done deal as you were not accepting the conditions of employment (the salary). Therefore the offer was conditional upon agreement, no agreement was reached and the offer was withdrawn whilst still conditional. And even had it not been conditional, an offer can be withdrawn upon serving notice - just like any other "termination", and only if the withdrawal of the offer is within the notice period of the start date are you entitled to anything - and that is only the payment of the balance of the notice period. So if the notice was one month, and the offer was withdrawn two weeks before the start date, the payment would be two weeks wages less the amount your normally get paid in your current role (since you are an internal candidate and already on payroll).