PPI won claim but should I claim compensation for pain and distress?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4066 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Help and advice please

this explanation is lengthy but please someone advise

I have a case with Capital 1 and a credit card my late wife took out. When she was diagnosed with 2 brain tumours, the insurance refused to pay out on the grounds that she was not in employment when the insurance was taken out..OK now for 5 years while my wife lay semi paralysed and brain damaged, my wife was mentally disabled and unable to answer or handle her own affairs. Before she came to this point she sent a notice to Capital1 saying that I her husband was authorised thdeal with them.

The crunch came when Capital 1 chased my wife for the debt for 5 years and refused to speak to me. This continued with various debt collectors and I could do nothing

I regularly asked these 'lepers' to take my wife to court but no, the just sent more demands and threatening phone calls. Only when she past away did Capital 1 talk, or well stone walled me. Even then they had sold the debt to someone else who again was chasing us.

When my wife died at home I started to contact Financial Services Ombudsman who were as good as a chocolate ashtray.

It took me 3 years to get to a position where hey would take any action. Kept saying how busy they were and I needed to jump through hoops and have a conclusion letter from Capital 1. And they were just stalling me cos they obviously knew the system and hopd I would just go away.

Eventually FSA did write to Capital 1 and within 10 days I had an offer of over £500.

Not a big deal!

I have been trying to get the actual ombudsman and not some lacky to look at the case and consider 'pain and distress' which The Financial Services Ombudsman actually quote in their Web site. This guy writes back every couple of days saying they do not adjudicate this, despite it being on their web site. He used the phrase that Capital 1 had fulfilled their obligations "BROADLY IN LINE" with their requirements.

I am wondering why I feel I am being stalled.

Can anyone here help with advice.

Should I take the £500 and acept that these people at Capital1 did the dirty or should I fight for compendsation for myself and our 3 daughters.

Hope someone here can help.

Alex

Hi Alex and welcome to CAG.

Firstly I'm sorry for your loss and that you and your family were put through this at what was already a difficult time. I have long known that people don't matter to the banks and financial institutions, but this is just unforgiveable.

What a cheek to tell you that they won't pay you because they shouldn't have sold you the PPI!

Indignation not very practical so first of all how much did you/your wife pay out in PPI? Does the £500 cover it and the interest to date? I suspect not.

It's hard to say what is an acceptable figure for distress etc, but if you fancy naming and shaming how about trying the media. I wonder if Dominic Littlewood would be interested in what happened to you. See what you think of this link. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/announcement.php?f=3&a=202

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

post up what you paid pcm for ppi

you should be able to get that + int at their rate

from each monthly payment date to your claim

very suprised at the attitude of the fos adj

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...