Bailiff - Can I refuse to deal with then by stating I will have no contract with them?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4069 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I'm paying 50pm towards my business rates directly to council, have been doing so for over 1 1/2 years now, its ment to be 400+ but I can't afford it. I have told the council I am not refusing to pay just this is all I can afford.

I have had no word from Bailiffs since this time last year, they tried to [problem] me as usual and I set them straight and they removed all of the fake charges and I carried on paying the council.

A new bailiff dropped a letter at my door the other day, just an Enforcement notice with an outstanding amount, no breakdown etc.

I'm still paying the council regardless but what should I do now, I was thinking to write to them saying I have no contract with them and that they do not have permission to visit my home address (I am not the home owner) and continue paying the council. OR should I do the same thing again and ask for breakdown and then make a complaint if its not right?

J

Hello,

I'm paying 50pm towards my business rates directly to council, have been doing so for over 1 1/2 years now, its ment to be 400+ but I can't afford it. I have told the council I am not refusing to pay just this is all I can afford.

I have had no word from Bailiffs since this time last year, they tried to [problem] me as usual and I set them straight and they removed all of the fake charges and I carried on paying the council.

A new bailiff dropped a letter at my door the other day, just an Enforcement notice with an outstanding amount, no breakdown etc.

I'm still paying the council regardless but what should I do now, I was thinking to write to them saying I have no contract with them and that they do not have permission to visit my home address (I am not the home owner) and continue paying the council. OR should I do the same thing again and ask for breakdown and then make a complaint if its not right?

J

Hi,

I wouldn't do either. I'd contact the Head of Business Rates at your local council and ask them to call off the bailiffs as you've been making regular payments for over 18 months which they have happily been accepting and you will continue to do so. Their action is causing unnecessary trouble and stress.

I have had no word from Bailiffs since this time last year, ........ A new bailiff dropped a letter at my door the other day, just an Enforcement notice with an outstanding amount, no breakdown etc.

I'm still paying the council regardless but .........

I'm curious as to why the council have instructed a new bailiff when you have been paying (albeit less than the agreed) £50 per month for the last year and a half. This seems like deliberate provocation from the council and because you're obviously not refusing to pay, unreasonable.

I'd be interested if anyone has views on this.

For example,

Could this be down to the council's recovery process being automated and action triggered by computer systems with no human intervention?

or

Are debtors who are referred to the bailiffs removed from council's performance statistics for the purpose of Council Tax and Non-Domestic Rates, therefore increasing their published collection rate %? (in other words are rate payers being used as pawns in the council's pursuit of high collection rates)

Edited by outlawla

In conjunction with that said above you should contact the Council and find out how many Liability Orders they have, how much each one was for and how much you still owe.

PT

I'm not prepared to pay those, why do I need to find out?

I'm curious as to why the council have instructed a new bailiff when you have been paying (albeit less than the agreed) £50 per month for the last year and a half. This seems like deliberate provocation from the council and because you're obviously not refusing to pay, unreasonable.

I'd be interested if anyone has views on this.

For example,

Could this be down to the council's recovery process being automated and action triggered by computer systems with no human intervention?

or

Are debtors who are referred to the bailiffs removed from council's performance statistics for the purpose of Council Tax and Non-Domestic Rates, therefore increasing their published collection rate %?

Well they came at me his time last year because I missed 3 payments then they wanted the whole year etc which I could not afford so I carried on paying what I could, the refused to take the debt back from the bailiff (which I know they have power to) so I just continued paying them and informed the bailiff I'm not prepared to deal with them, I will only deal with the council.

I also sent in a hardship claim with my debts etc and they offered no help.

Its a new bailiff too, different firm so the last ones obviously gave up, this means the council have instructed them again after taking the debt back, which they told me they couldnt do......ridiculous. 400 is 1/3 of my rent, I find it unacceptable even if I could pay it!