faulty laptop 3 months after warranty expired

angiebrown
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4880 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all

i purchased an esystem laptop from currys swindon on the 24th aug 2009 all was fine until a month ago when it suddenly stopped working i thought it was the charger as i could not get it to stay on

after getting a second hand charger still no joy so i took it to an independant computer technichian and he has said it is the motherboard that has stopped working

contacted currys customer services who basically replied that they can book it in for repair but it is going to cost for the parts and labour i was not prepared to do that and informed them that was not good enough and would be taking the issue further

any help how i go about doing this please and who do i contact not very good at this sorry must be me being blonde

thank you

angie

This site will help you know your rights under the Sale of Goods Act

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/sogaataglance

You have the right to a repair or partial refund

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I am sorry to here what has happened with your laptop. However when you buy a laptop through cyrrys/pc world we do make it clear that if you do not have whatever happens after the first year it will cost you for repairs. We are well within the law to do this.

In addition I would like to say you have a legal right to a remedy only if it is a fault which has existed from the date of purchase. As the laptop is over 6 onths old the onus is on you to prove this. Which will cost you money and then currys pc world have the right to make you pay for them to also have independent engineers examine the laptop. The law is a wonderful thing but remeber it is not an automatic oh yeah 6 year warranty when bought. It is a 1 year manufacturers part labour (where they will charge during this time for repairs) after which you have to prove it is a fault which existed when bought.

retailers terms and conditions, nor any warranty -be it 1 yrs or 3, can over-ride SOGA.

under SOGA, as had already been pointed out - the product must last a 'resonable period'

typically for a laptop this would be 2-3yrs+

it is the retailers problem, they may required you to get an independent report, but that will be refunded along with a free repair, or if it cannot be repaired in a resonable time [typically 28 days]

a replacement or vouchers to an eqiv model should be issued.

just to be clear

return it to your point of sale and don't accept any waffle!

dx

siteteam

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Fine in theory - nonsense in practice. The retailer is well versed in their obligations, and unless there is a track record on an inherent fault, as it worked fine for over a year the expectation is that the consumer must prove that the goods were inherently faulty. A very difficult task.

Also, misuse, virus and other ailments can conspire to prevent the item working, none of which mean a free repair.

The last instance of a similar dispute from Currys with an ADVENT laptop was that the hinge snapped it was admitted there was no abuse, but as a 18" screen it requires special care when opening/closing due to the stresses on the plastic case. My money was on not fit for purpose, but because the machine was 14months old before it happened, they successfully rejected the claim.

im off work a little longer due to a small incidence (bear garden)

im going to place a few guesses, a little advice based off the guesses.

im going to guess that the laptop in question uses a U30/U40/U50/U51 chassis, this is the most sold one in the last year

all these laptops use the same mainboard in there construction, which is a long one occupying the rear of the computer

if you get an independant engineer to look this laptop over he/she is most likely to find that there is a section of deteriorated or poor soldering on the rear most pin of the dc socket, although not reported as a common fault by pcworld it is a regually seen fault on these mainboards

by the way you can tell what chassis it is by looking at the serial number it will start szsUxx

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

i dont understand why people say refer it to point of sale, last time i checked pcworld shop is a retail shop that sells products, promoted their in house repairs etc and cases like this is out of store level and should be refered onto head office and customer services or complaints. on their website it tells you how to make a complaint either by ringing or writing or emailing. i dont see why customers should waste a trip to pcworld and then complain their 'pointless trip' because it will be! .

sorry no

soga is with the retailer where you brought it

if it gets refered to HO fair enough - but you must return it to the point of sale

thats why its called Sale Of Goods Act.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

pcworld derby is no different from pcworld bolton. retailer is pcworld, not pcworld bolton and each store are outlet/branches.

idont see why it should be referred to point of sale, if you purchased from london and you now decided that you want to live in leeds your telling me you would drive down to london because you strongly believe in that it should be 'point of sale'?

What Dx was referring to is the RETAILER-not nescessarily the shop you bought it from. Any shop within the same group should (Currys, Comet,Argos)be approached at first (if, as in your example, you have moved). Although this will cause a bit of hassle for them, that's not your problem.

If you were to buy from a one man band type shop then you will have to approach them first

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE