Refund on Motorbike lesson - Help?

forest44

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4069 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, im not sure if this is the right place to post so apologies if its not.

My hubby paid 595 for motorbike lessons out of this he has had 2 lessons at value of 120 (sorry pound sign doesnt work!) a theory test at 30 and 130 CBT. We phoned up today to cancel lessons (hes finally seen sense and we getting new car instead) bloke was lovely said shouldbe be a problem, hed pass it on and ring me back. He rang back and said its fine but accounts have to refund you but accoutns are away for two weeks, i knew it wouldnt be that easy, I said surely if you can take my money by card you can refund it instore without going to account, at first he said no we have to take our weekly paperwork to accounts. Im just wondering where i stand legally before i phone back its not right they have about 300 of our money andwont return it.

You overlook the actual issue. It has nothing to do with his abandonment of the course, but what he agreed to as part of the course. Look to the original agreement to see what your rights are, as in many cases once the course has been agreed and the money paid, there is no obligation to refund due to any failing of the student to complete. You have no right to the money you paid them, unless they agreed to refund due to non-completion. If you had only paid a deposit, then you would have lost this outright. Having paid in full, your rights may be limited to transferring it to another student (and getting them to pay you) or provding a credit to use the cource at a more convenient time.

Changing your mind, having paid, leaves you seriously disadvantaged - so check your training agreement as to what the options are, and decide based on this.

I would be glad of the favour for as far as it goes, there being no particular right to cancel a service contract once the supplier of the service to be provided had already begun to provide it.

Your attempt at English failed. Please try again.

For once, I agree with perplexithingamebob.

You had a contract. You paid for X number of lessons and took some of the lessons. You cannot now cancel as the contract has been fulfilled.

As a former driving instructor, I used to refund unused lessons from block bookings, crash course bookings etc. But towards the end of my career I decided not to as it was directly effecting my income. I had one that booked a crash course for a week. Took lessons all day Monday and then decided they didn't want to continue. They actually thought I would just refund the rest of the week and sit twiddling my thumbs over an empty diary for the rest of the week! Er, no.

So, I would not expect any refund in this case other than a generous token of goodwill - if any.