Debt from Cyprus - can it be taken to UK county court?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4064 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, first post here and looking for some advice if possible.

I put a down payment on a property three years ago for a new build in Cyprus. Contracts are in Greek/cypriot and the mortgage is with a Cypriot bank. Another deposit payment was due on completion.

In the three years things have not turned out as they should have and I have no money to pay the rest of the deposit. Indeed I owe money to HMRC at the moment too and they need paying before anything else! With the exchange rate as it now is there is also no way I can afford the mortgage either. A total mess.

I have been trying to get legal advice from within Cyprus but have been having massive trouble getting it. Solicitors giving me the run around, saying they will help and then not responding to calls. In that time I have received a letter from a UK solicitor saying that I am in breach of contract and must pay or they will take it to a UK county court.

Are they able to do this?

I know UK courts can enfore judgements made by foreign courts but I would have thought that as the contract was under Cypriot law then a judgement would need to be made there and a UK county court would not be able to rule on this?

If anyone has any knowledge of this I would appreciate your input.