Bought something from a Marketplace via a trusted forum, advice please

Labtec81
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4885 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently bought something from someone for the princely sum of £140, and was told the item was posted on Tuesday 1st class post and the person who I bought it off sent me a private message to tell me he was told it would most likely be delivered on Thursday due to 1st class NOT being guaranteed next day (even though almost everything I've ever posted 1st class the recipient has received the next day) but due to the extreme bad weather the item hasn't arrived due to no postal deliveries.

Now I'm not being paranoid (just yet) as it hasn't been long, but I'm wanting to cover my bases!

I paid the person via Bank Transfer and IF I don't receive the item I paid for is there anything I can do about it? (I bank with Natwest if that helps at all) as several other people have bought different computer components from this person and between us all it adds upto quite a significant amount!

So obviously once the snow clears, if the item I bought/items others bought don't turn up we will be going to the police to obtain a crime reference number etc, sounds a bit harsh but none of us are willing to lose our money (obviously) and we just want to cover our bases just in case.

Now I'm not saying we won't get the items but it's alway's best to be 1 step ahead just in case.

Thanks for reading.

Why would you allow anyone to send your £140 item by fisrt class post? That is only covered for £41 maximum. Did they offer to cover the other £99 themselves if it doesn't arrive?

Give it a couple of extra days at teh moment I would suggest. We haven't had any post for 2 day where I am.

Why would you allow anyone to send your £140 item by fisrt class post? That is only covered for £41 maximum. Did they offer to cover the other £99 themselves if it doesn't arrive?

Give it a couple of extra days at teh moment I would suggest. We haven't had any post for 2 day where I am.

Because I checked here 1st http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content3;jsessionid=NOQMA4I1SAVO0FB2IGEENZQUHRAYUQ2K?mediaId=50800721&catId=400029 and it clearly states

For lost or damaged items that have an intrinsic value, with evidence of posting with Royal Mail (such as a certificate of posting) and evidence of value (such as an invoice or receipt) customers will be entitled to a postage refund plus compensation for actual loss up to the value of the item, or 100 x 1st class stamps at the first weight step, whichever is the lowest

And he said he had obtained a certificate of posting, and he has the original invoice which was E-Mailed to him when he originally bought the graphics card 1 month ago.

So can you answer my question now please.

If you have bought it via a trusted forum and the seller has the certificate of posting and original invoice, I don't really see what the problem is, you seem to have covered the Royal Mail T & C's so I would just give it a little more time.

I would put the delay down to the extreme weather conditions the country is suffering from.

However, personally, if I spent £140 for an item to be posted, I would definitely pay for guaranteed delivery. It's only around a fiver for a small item.

Hopefully it will land on your doormat in the morning!

plus compensation for actual loss up to the value of the item, or 100 x 1st class stamps at the first weight step, whichever is the lowest

Your actual loss has to be a lower than the cost of 100 1st class stamps for it to be covered in full. There's no reason why this won't arrive but nobody should ever trust high value goods to RM without taking the appropriate cover.

Agreed - however, the onus is with the seller to get the goods to you. If it is not delivered, HE carries the losss and you get your money back from the seller. If he was silly enough to send a £140 item by 1st Class (when it should be Special Delivery), it is a lesson he'll not forget quickly.

How to deliver the goods is the seller's problem. The contract is to deliver the goods so the right of a buyer to expect a successful delivery is exactly the same however the supplier goes about it.

Whether or not it is wise to buy from a stupid seller is another matter. Terms to suggest that a delivery is at the buyer's risk are at best rubbish, at worst a criminal offence. The supply of goods to a consumer is a contract to deliver the goods.

Is there anything to be done about it if the goods do not arrive? Of course there is. That would not of itself amount to a criminal offence in the United Kingdom but in other parts of Europe disappointed buyers do involve the police and the police take it seriously.

8-)

I would. But you didn't ask a question. You just posted a statement. My comment, which is correct by the way, is that you are NOT covered for £140 by royal mail first class post.

I think you'll find I did ask a question, please see below!

I paid the person via Bank Transfer and IF I don't receive the item I paid for is there anything I can do about it?

And your comment I already know is correct that I'm not covered for £140 by Royal Mail 1st class post, but then I wouldn't be as it wasn't me who sent it to myself by Royal Mail 1st class post, it was the seller :-x

Perplexity's post below hit's the nail on the head :)

How to deliver the goods is the seller's problem. The contract is to deliver the goods so the right of a buyer to expect a successful delivery is exactly the same however the supplier goes about it.

Whether or not it is wise to buy from a stupid seller is another matter. Terms to suggest that a delivery is at the buyer's risk are at best rubbish, at worst a criminal offence. The supply of goods to a consumer is a contract to deliver the goods.

Is there anything to be done about it if the goods do not arrive? Of course there is. That would not of itself amount to a criminal offence in the United Kingdom but in other parts of Europe disappointed buyers do involve the police and the police take it seriously.

8-)

Thank you for your reply, if the item I purchased doesn't turn up once Royal Mail start delivering again then I will be contacting the police, I do have the seller's bank information and his name AND all private messages exchanged between me and him on the forum, plus the full 5 page thread showing he sold a lot of other items to other people who also haven't received them yet, but we are all giving him the benefit of the doubt until the deliveries start up again, then and only then if things don't arrive will we all contact the police and the small claims court.

Thanks for your response, it was very helpful.