Excessive charges when payment of debt agreed

grebow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4892 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been taken to court by a management company for ground fees that I have owed over the space of 2 years. I had a visit from a person from a company called High Court Enforcement LTD based in Wales. They said they wanted to take my car. I phoned them after and asked if there was any way that I could pay in installments. The solicitors dealing with the case are called Aaron and Partners.

I asked for the total amount owed last week and they told me there was a writ of Fi FA of £3,505 of which I beleive £709 is the charges from High Court Enforcement LTD with £0.87 interest accruing per day. They told me last week that their fees were £892.50. We have tried to get the original company that we owed the money to to agree to take the fees from the sale of our property when it sells which they refused to do. We have now fortunately sold the house and have told the solicitors that if they contact our solicitors dealing with the sale then we agree to let hem have their payment before we get anything from the equity in the house. We cannot sell the house without the authority of the management company as it is a private estate and we have an agreement with said company.

I have received an e mail today from my solicitors saying that their fees are now £1,142 with another £190 work in progress! I have e mailed the solicitor to ask why these extrotionate charges are being added and why costs have gone up so much in the last week but have nad no reply yet. Can they keep adding charges like this? Is there any way i can challenge the charges or get them to stop adding these ridiculous sums. Our payment is going to be well over £5,000 for a £2,000 debt if this carries on.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You shouldn't be worrying about this, your solicitor should be handling it for you. You are certainly entitled to a detailed breakdown of their charges before you pay them a penny, but would make sure you get your solicitor to contact them to ensure non further charges will be added while you're waiting for the breakdown.

My only problem is that as I have agreed to pay the fee so the solicitors acting for the company chasing the debt are charging me for every letter and phonecall they make at astronimical hourly rates.

Can they do this after I have agreed to pay the lesser amount?

when you say complain about a solicitor who has worked for someone else what exactly do you mean? What do I complain about? They are charging me their fees as I have agreed that I owe the money. I am upset about the fact that since I have agreed their fees have shot up and added a load onto the amount that I owe.

when you say complain about a solicitor who has worked for someone else what exactly do you mean? What do I complain about? They are charging me their fees as I have agreed that I owe the money. I am upset about the fact that since I have agreed their fees have shot up and added a load onto the amount that I owe.

So if you're upset, make a complaint. The worst that can happen is they find the soliciotrs have done nothing wrong - you might get a load of money back. Up to you at the end of the day!