barrowby

What Does The "S" mean on a Postmark?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3227 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, Does anyone have an accurate answer to what type of postal service an "S" is on an envelope?

I have read many a thread staing that S means 2nd class and therefore 4 days postage applies....is this documented anywhere?...

In my case i am referring to UK Mail but any information or thoughs would be welcome.

Thanks

Barrowby

Ok, I think that is have managed to find some further information relating to the "S" on the postmark. It would appear that this is linked to the license that has to be issued by the post office to 3rd party operators (UK Mail, TNT etc) which allows them to supply a seperate service to companies (Egg, MBNA etc) and carry out mail collection and sorting with the final mail being delivered by Royal Mail.

I just can't find out how you tell if the mail is sent 1st or 2nd Class.

With so many people placing the importance of 2nd v 1st class mail (i.e in default notices etc) someone must have found some information to support.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sorry to be a pain...but does anyone have any comments to add?

I have received a reply to my defence from to solicitors acting for the CC which states that MBNA send all their mail First Class....any pointers would be welcomed.

Thanks

Have you tried contacting Royal Mail and asking them?

Much easier to read the many MBNA threads, don't think RM will be of any help IMO.

Thanks TWTT, I did research the Royal Mail angle and only found out the information as posted above at #2

Thanks Dotty.....I have already looked at their site and this is the closest I can get to a mention of delivery timescales... http://www.ukmail.biz/UKDeliveries

You can see they state that they do either 2 day or 3 day...but how do you tell?...and this is not a 4 day service!!

I take you point about reading the posts...and boy have i read a few!!...but everyone makes statements like "it was sent UK mail so it was def 2nd class"...but how do i prove this. Yes, i have every envelope saves with the date i received noted on it.

I would hate to run my case further on the basis of a defective DN only to find out the all MBNA mail is 1st class...or a gauranteed 2 day service.

Somebody must have dug up some information on this?

Thanks

Barrowby

You could try diddydicky, I am sure this was something he was looking into a while ago

post sent by S post uk mail can NEVER be guaranteed first class delivery since at least one day has to be allowed between being picked up by uk mail and delivered into the royal mail system

uk mail do not collect from their clients on sat/sun/bank hoildays either - so watch out for mbna letters dated friday or saturday (i even have one purported to have been written on 1 January 2010!)

you can safely make a statement in your defence (IMO) that MBNA are stating a mistruth

i for one (if required- will happily provide a statement and copies of letters and envelopes from mbna all by "S" second class post and i suspect others on the forum would do the same for you if pm;s

therefore i think if you provided 3/4 witnesses like this to back up your arguments you would make them look a little silly

i assume if course that you have saved the en=velopes and actively asserted the date you ACTUALLy received them

Hi, Does anyone have an accurate answer to what type of postal service an "S" is on an envelope?

I have read many a thread staing that S means 2nd class and therefore 4 days postage applies....is this documented anywhere?...

In my case i am referring to UK Mail but any information or thoughs would be welcome.

Thanks

Barrowby

Hi,i came across this on a site a few days ago,do not know if it helps copied fro that site.

" The significance of the bold S has not been confirmed, but it may stand for same (day), as Royal Mail is contracted to deliver such items within 24 hours of arrival at the Mail Centre"

barns66