Barclays Cash Card account for undischarged bakrupt owing money to Barclaycard?

fightthefuture

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4070 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think Barclays would refuse you. Here is a booklet that tells you of the various basic accounts out there.

http://www.moneymadeclear.org.uk/pdfs/bank_accounts.pdf

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

silverfox1961 - thanks for your reply and the link. It confirms my own research that Barclays Cash Card and Co-op Cashminder were the only two that accept undischarged bankrupts.

I have already applied for a Co-op one, and that appears to have been successful.

The reason I wanted a second one (and was considering trying for Barclays) is that I'm setting up in business (sole trader) and would like to keep my business accounts separate to my personal ones, and I am loathe to have to pay the fees associated with a managed account or a pre-paid card.

I think if I'm unable to open a Barclays one, I will keep personal and business finances in the same account (Co-op) - not ideal, I know, but I don't believe there's any law that says you can't.

Kind regards.

Hi FTF,

You'll have to see how Barclays respond but don't hold your breath............... :wink:

There is nothing to stop you using the one a/c for business and personal transactions although the co-op may kick off if you try to pay in a lot of cheques.

HMRC may not particularly like you running everything through the one a/c but, as long as you can clearly show in your business trading a/c's how everything is accounted for, they shouldn't have anything to complain about.

You would also have to consider the name of your business if you want folks to pay you personally, if your are trading with a business name.

Do whatever you have to initially to get your business running. You can always change the way things are done in the future, when have left the BR behind.

........... and good luck with your new venture. 8-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

slick132 - thanks for your input. I'm thinking it might be worth a try - they can always say no, and I've lost nothing.

I envisage that most my business payments will be electronic (Paypal, direct credit, etc.)... If Co-op kick off, I can always ask if they will give me a business account, to which the answer will be 'no' of course... to which I would then stare at them in silence with one eyebrow raised.

The name of my business is actually just my real name (forename and surname, that's it), so that simplifies things, especially when I have cheques to pay in!

Thanks for the good luck!

Kind regards.

Hi FTF,

If your incoming revenue is mainly by direct electronic payments as opposed to manual (cheque) counter credits, the bank is less likely to be concerned.

:-)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

A happy update...

Barclays have given me an account!

It just goes to show that there's no harm in trying...

The only little niggle at the back of my mind is whether or not Barclays would be able to use their 'right of set off' to take money from my account because I went bankrupt owing money to Barclaycard (among others). I suspect not, because [1] my (ex) Barclaycard won't be linked to my new Barclays bank account, and (b) I *suspect* that if a debt has been written off by bankruptcy, the creditor can't then extract money from you to pay it off. I might be totally wrong though, and I'm open to feedback from those with greater knowledge!

Kind regards.

Edited by fightthefuture

Hi FTF and I'm pleased to hear you've had success with this.

I'm not sufficiently au fait with the processes of BR to say whether your concerns have merit.

However, our experience with Barclays and BC, and their use of the Right to Set Off, would lead me to recommend that you monitor the bank a/c carefully to watch for any sign of Setting Off by them.

8)