Genuine v third-party parts

sequenci
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4895 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all!

My car is in need of a new clutch. Is it worth going for the genuine part or a third-party version?

I'm assuming that it is often the third-party firms that make the genuine stuff anyway?

A genuine clutch is about £100 more apparently

Hi all!

My car is in need of a new clutch. Is it worth going for the genuine part or a third-party version?

I'm assuming that it is often the third-party firms that make the genuine stuff anyway?

A genuine clutch is about £100 more apparently

Usually on routine service items like filters there is very little difference though with oil filters you have to be careful with those that have the pressure relief valve built into the.

However with parts that have a friction surface such as pads, shoes and clutches there is often a difference but to the majority of people it is unlikely they will ever notice it unless for instance, they have to brake hard frequently or tow heavy trailers.

With both these items the rule of thumb is to go for a quality aftermarket make which is very varied but over the years I have learnt that some of the best parts come from Unipart and I nearly always use them as invariably these are the genuine article. In fact if you look at the parts they frequently have the OEM part number on them. Unipart costs slightly more but generally it's a right first time fit and if there are issues with them they frequently cover the labour to change them under warranty.

With a clutch it's also important that you get all 3 parts in the kit, plate, cover and release bearing as many aftermarket kits don't include the release bearing in order to get the price down.

You won't go wrong with Unipart but you can get cheaper.

Usually on routine service items like filters there is very little difference though with oil filters you have to be careful with those that have the pressure relief valve built into the.

However with parts that have a friction surface such as pads, shoes and clutches there is often a difference but to the majority of people it is unlikely they will ever notice it unless for instance, they have to brake hard frequently or tow heavy trailers.

With both these items the rule of thumb is to go for a quality aftermarket make which is very varied but over the years I have learnt that some of the best parts come from Unipart and I nearly always use them as invariably these are the genuine article. In fact if you look at the parts they frequently have the OEM part number on them. Unipart costs slightly more but generally it's a right first time fit and if there are issues with them they frequently cover the labour to change them under warranty.

With a clutch it's also important that you get all 3 parts in the kit, plate, cover and release bearing as many aftermarket kits don't include the release bearing in order to get the price down.

You won't go wrong with Unipart but you can get cheaper.

Thanks matey, I knew you would have the answers. I used to work for the Unipart group as it goes so I appreciate their attention to detail!