• Tweets

• Hi. Could you post up what they've sent please so we can see what the charge is? Cover up your name and address and their reference number. HB
    • I've looked through all our old NPE threads, and as far as we know they have never had the bottle to do court. There are no guarantees of course, but when it comes to put or shut up they definitely tend towards shut up. How about something like -   Dear Jonathan and Julie, Re: PCN no.XXXXX cheers for your Letter Before Claim.  I rolled around on the floor in laughter at the idea that you actually expected me to take this tripe seriously and cough up. I'll write to you not some uninterested third party, thanks all the same, because you have are the ones trying to threaten me about this non-existent "debt". Go and look up Jopson v Homeguard Services Ltd, saddos.  Oh, while you're at it, go and look up your Subject Access Request obligations - we all know how you ballsed that up way back in January to March. Dear, dear, dear - you couldn't resist adding your £70 Unicorn Food Tax, you greedy gets.  Judges don't like these made-up charges, do they? You can either drop this foolishness now or get a hell of a hammering in court.  Both are fine with me.  Summer is coming up and I would love a holiday at your expense after claiming an unreasonable costs order under CPR 27.14(2)(g). I look forward to your deafening silence.   That should show them you're not afraid of them and draw their attention to their having legal problems of their own with the SAR.  If they have any sense they'll crawl back under their stone and leave you in peace.  Over the next couple of days invest in a 2nd class stamp (all they are worth) and get a free Certificate of Posting from the post office.
    • Yes that looks fine. It is to the point. I think somewhere in the that the you might want to point out that your parcel had been delivered but clearly had been opened and resealed and the contents had been stolen
    • Hi All, I just got in from work and received a letter dated 24 April 2024. "We've sent you a Single Justice Procedure notice because you have been charged with an offence, on the Transport for London Network." "You need to tell us whether you are guilty or not guilty. This is called making your plea."
    • Okay please go through the disclosure very carefully. I suggest that you use the technique broadly in line with the advice we give on preparing your court bundle. You want to know what is there – but also very importantly you want to know what is not there. For instance, the email that they said they sent you before responding to the SAR – did you see that? Is there any trace of of the phone call that you made to the woman who didn't know anything about SAR's? On what basis was the £50 sent to you? Was it unilateral or did they offer it and you accepted it on some condition? When did they send you this £50 cheque? Have you banked it? Also, I think that we need to start understanding what you have lost here. Have you lost any money – and if so how much? Send the SAR to your bank as advised above
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Defaulted payment advice needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4784 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In August 2009 I cancelled my monthly contract to 02. I was told that the account had been settled in full over the phone and nothing was outstanding. I then cancelled my direct debit to o2.

I recently requested a credit report and found that from august 2009 to may 2010 I have had missed payments listed. In April 2010 this payment was defaulted. The payment was for £8.00 which was for final line rental ( I just phoned 02 to talk about this)

O2 never sent me a final bill and never contacted me to try and let me know that this amont was outstanding.

I have payed off the outstanding amount and have been told that on my credit report this will show up as settled in 30 to 60 days.

I am worried that I will still have missed payments and a default notice on my account. Does this damage my credit rating and if so do I have any recourse that I can take to amend this issue.

Hi and welcome to CAG. Sorry your post was missed.

I would be doing a formal complaint to O2. You cancelled the contract so that should have been it but poor customer service has let you down. If you are lucky, they may still have the recording of your call and can sort things out quite easily. I suspect that they won't be so easy.

The bigger problem is your credit file. That default for such a tiny amount will affect your creditworthiness for 6 years.

As part of your complaint you should be demanding that the default be removed and if the refuse, go to the Information Commissioner.

In the meantime, you can put a "Notice of Correction" on your credit file of up to 200 words explaining what has happened. Any future creditor has to take that into account when deciding whether to offer credit

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks silverfox1961, I think I will make a formal compaint to O2 and I will definately put that note on my account like you mentioned. Do these companies keep phone records for that long? This might be because I am a little annoyed but can people sort this type of thing out in court to get the default removed?

First of all, get your records from all 3 credit reference agencies (experian.equifax and call credit). When writing to the CRA, mention the reference number next to the default (i.e-with experian, it will be C1)

You can go to court but not something I would recommend yet. Try the complaints route first.

I would also send O2 a SAR. This costs £10 and hopefully it should get back all the data on you from them and maybe the account history will show up where it all went wrong. This is the LINK

When applying for data, give as much proof you can of your identity, especially if you have moved house since the contract was cancelled. Photocopies of you driving licence for example.

This is taken from o2's website re privacy

• We can supply certain types of personal information on request: including but not limited to billing, name and address, aggregated phone usage. Requests should be made in writing and include your name, mobile telephone number and proof of your identity (such as a photocopy of your passport, birth certificate or driving licence) and address (for example, a copy of a utility bill or bank statement), and the information you require. We'll charge you £10 to cover the administrative cost of supplying the requested information. If we hold any inaccurate information about you, please tell us and we will correct it.
    Our address is: Data Controller
    Telefónica O2 UK Limited
    Arlington Business Centre
    Suite N
    Free Post RLUY-JUEY-KYHR
    Leeds
    West Yorkshire
    LS11 0NE

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

I think I'm going to get tooled up with information. I'm definately going to go down the complaints route but I found this

www dot learnmoney dot co dot uk/credit-file/small-defaults.html

which suggest trying to go through the sob story senario first.

Getting the SAR is defininately a good idea the more info the better. I'm going to phone them up again and ask if they will remove the default now that the account has been paid.

I will keep this post updated with my progress.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to update this thread. I sent a complaint to O2 and appealled to the human being at the other side, stating that for such a small amount they have destoyed my chances of credit and that of my families for 6 years. I also pointed out that they did not send my letters chasing up any missed payments. I was hoping that appealing to a person might show them the insanity of this situation.

I just received a reply and O2 in which they stated that its an automatic proccess and after 6 months of missed payments they are obliged to inform the banks of a defaulted account but they also said as a gesture of good will they would remove the default that was placed against my account. This will take 30 to 60 days so hopefully they stay true to their word. Happy days.

Thank you so much for advice about persuing the compaint process first, and if they dont stay true to their word then I have the other avenues to follow.

Hi,

Good news. You have that in writing so if they fail to do as they have said you can go back at them and go to the Information Commissioner.

Gesture of goodwill-PAH. They didn't send the letters to warn you af the impending default so they are at fault.

• 3 months later...

I have an almost identical situation. Ended one contract with o2 and changed to another in 2007. Checked credit file in 2008 and was listed as default on the previous account for £63. They never informed me of the outstanding balance. They gave me a new contract, despite the fact they thought I owed them money! They placed a default on credit file without even attempting to contact me. The default is showing as settled now I have paid it but I want it removed as its having negative impact on my credit - I'll never ever get a mortgage with that there. Today I wrote to the creditreferral o2 email address with a copy of my credit report asking them to remove it.

Do you have any advice on how to speed things along, or ensure it is removed?

I note from the library file from the Information commisioner that a default is identified as the relationship between customer and lender breaking down - how can they possibly class the relationship as broken down when I had another contract with them and was happily paying my monthly bill, oblivious to this outstanding balance?

Thanks

Shaun

Hi and welcome to CAG.

Since this thread was started, I have found out that you may have grounds for further complaint. If a company places a default on your file for a small amount, this does not necessarily reflect your actual creditworthiness and if they refuse to remove the default, you can complain to the Information Commissioner.

What I would do in the meantime is drop this guy an email

Chief Executive [email protected]

Silverfox, thank you. I shall confine further discussion to this thread if you prefer.

What further information have you received that suggests I have grounds for complaint? I have emailed Mr Dunne. I had also contacted o2 by phone today and subsequently, the creditreferrals email address.

Silverfox, thank you. I shall confine further discussion to this thread if you prefer.

What further information have you received that suggests I have grounds for complaint? I have emailed Mr Dunne. I had also contacted o2 by phone today and subsequently, the creditreferrals email address.

No, deal in the other thread please. I get easily confoosed :!:

Hi and welcome to CAG.

Since this thread was started, I have found out that you may have grounds for further complaint. If a company places a default on your file for a small amount, this does not necessarily reflect your actual creditworthiness and if they refuse to remove the default, you can complain to the Information Commissioner.

What I would do in the meantime is drop this guy an email

Chief Executive [email protected]

fox, how small is small?

fox, how small is small?

In my query to the ICO I did quote £30-40 but to me, anything under £75 would be considered small. I also think that even if the default amount was more and the mobile company didn't make a user aware of a bill owing, the default should be removed if the bill is paid in full once the user became aware of the debt

Jazzfunk when I contacted 02 in my letter I tried to connect with the person at the other end and try to appeal to their sence of decency. I stressed that my credit file was ruined for such a small amount that I did not even know I owed, I also stressed that I had been a good customer throughout the whole term of being with 02. I paid it immediately once I knew that I was due the amount. They did remove the default against my account as they said, even though they stressed they were doing me a favour. A result is a result and you can always get heavy later after you have tried a couple of softer approaches. You dont have anything to lose by trying to make a connection and pull their heart strings.

Hi David,

thanks for your advice. That is what I've tried to do (I think) but at the same time it's so hard to hide my indignation at being treated so unfairly. How long was it from your first sending an official letter/email and resolution. What was the timescale of their responses? Was there a lot of back and forth? How recent was your experience with them? Did you notice a difference when applying for credit etc once the default was removed? What does your credit file now say where the default had previously been?

Cheers

Shaun

I checked my credit file with experian and the default has been removed, the account say settled and where it used to be it says not updated. Shortly after that I applied for a larger credit limit with my credit card and there was no problems.

I first contacted o2 by phone and got there credit section, thats when I found out about the default. I paid it immediately, they gave me the complaints departments address

O2 Complaint Review Service

P.O Box 302

Dunstable

LU6 9GN

I wrote a letter saying how I was dismayed that my credit file was ruined for such a small amount and went into detail what the repercussions were, i.e no morgage no credit card no bank account. I painted a pretty bleak picture for my future prospects. I also stressed that I did not receive any warning about the outstanding amount and that like you I was still a customer of theirs albeit a pay and go customer. I also pointed out that I did not miss many payments during my contract with o2.

I received a phone call from their complaint department about 2 - 3 weeks later, they told be that it was an automatic process to place a default on an account that had missed 4 payments, they also said it was their duty to do this for other lenders, I dont think I really believed that. I kept my cool and just repeated the same information that was in my letter and asked her nicely if they could remove the default. This is not a big deal to them to do this. She said that as it was such a small amount and that it was cleared already ( this apparently takes upto 4 weeks after payment) they would on this occation remove the default. She told me that this would be in a letter that they sent to me. To be honest im not sure if I received the letter first, but it was about 3 weeks after sending the complaint before they contacted me. It was another 4 weeks before the default was removed but I had the letter so they had to make it happen. So altogether it was about 7 weeks from compaint to default being removed.

If they hadnt removed the default I was going to threaten to take them to the small claims court or compain to the information commisioner like silverfox mentions. Lucky I didnt have to go down that road.