Prepayment Utility debt from meters, is there a legal min repayment figure?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4077 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I've looked all over here and cant find anything definite or any links to information.

I just had both gas and lecky meters changed to prepay and will be repaying a debt from them as i am unemployed and have had troubles paying.

I'm starting to worry about how I am going to manage to live should the amount be set to something unmanageable until I get back into paid work (when this will be no problem), I struggle as it is.

Is there some legal figure as a minimum they can take as debt each week, or do I just freeze this winter?

I haven't a clue what the cost of the gas and electric will be on these things, but if they added £10 to that and took that first leaving me with the remaining credit I'm screwed as far as I can see.

I have just read that nPower have some help for people like me who get into problems but all I got from them were demands for 100 quid a month as help...not something I could afford at all.

I'm sitting here now with my last 20 quid in my pocket, emergency 10 quid on the new gas meter, and 40 on the lecky one...and no food in the house. IF I used 10 of the 20 for food until next week...the other 10 could just vanish into a debt or emergency payment ...leaving me in a mess.

Back to the job search. The best solution for me. The reason I'm out of work is that my Mum who's carer I was died, leaving me on JSA ...just in case people think I'm trying to avoid paying my way :)

Any advice would be apprectiated. :)

Yeah I have thanks, or most of it. What concerns me at the moment is getting some reasonable lecky and gas use to keep warm in the next days and weeks...nPower have some scheme there which I have the form open now...going to give it a go but being single and owning this house I can't see much coming of that.

This post just scared the *%*% out of me w w w. consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?170027-Npower-Debt&p=1835673&viewfull=1#post1835673 (can't post links yet ) if that's true ...I'm stuffed. :(

the status quo for debt repayment from benefit claimants is £3 per week, which is the same as if the amount were taken from your benefits.

Npower should have advised you at what rate the debt will being collected at (terrible grammar, excuse me)

There is a way if you insert your key and press the blue button repeatedly the meter will tell you what debt is outstanding and the repayment rate

3 quid a week would be a great weight removed until I get back grafting and can rid myself of the whole debt. I thought it odd they didn't say, and i have no key yet either...or card. Left me in the dark completely and later tossed a card for the gas meter on the doormat before driving off.

The annoying thing is that IF nPower had told me, I'd have had that taken from benefits and not had the expense added for courts and meters which seriously bumped up what I now owe.

I'm wondering if they know from what i told them that I'm not working, or if that's going to be another fight getting it set to the status quo level? :(

Thanks for the help :)

t

Have you spoken with npower about this?

Prepayment meters should have been discussed before reaching a warrant as a means to repaying your debt and continuing usage,

Normally DSS deductions are only offered where a prepayment meter is not possible.

The best thing you can do is speak to Npower about this tel 01668 682045