• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Suspended following blog posting - could do with some advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4888 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm an project manager in the NHS and could do with some advice.

My line manager called me on Friday afternoon to advise that someone had 'brought it to the attention of the executive team' that there was an 'unpleasant' blog posting with my name at the bottom page. My manager asked me if the blog was mine and I said yes, but hadn't used it for ages (there were only 3 postings, the most recent being the offending one from October of last year).

She advised that I was being suspended until the 10th December pending an investigation, saying that they normally do this face to face but as I was off sick Thursday & Friday last week and was supposed to be on annual leave this week she needed to do it over the phone instead.

The entry is quite derogatory about people (in general) in the part of the city I work in, but at no point mentions either the organisation I work for or any of my colleagues. It was posted over a year ago a week whilst on sick leave a week after I'd had surgery for a miscarriage (something I failed to mention to my boss).

The blog was set up to enable me to develop characterisation for a creative writing class and as soon as my boss flagged it I took the whole thing down and have subsequently posted an explanation with an apology.

I'm waiting for a union rep to get in touch but am very worried that I could be sacked for gross misconduct (I'm waiting for a letter from my employer explaining what's going on so currently have no idea exactly what the investigation is for).

After reading some of the other responses to similar posts here I went to consult my contract, but on checking my records can't find one (only the confirmation of employment letter and a contract amendment letter following a promotion).

My main questions are:

• Assuming this action is being taken because of the unpleasant nature of the posting can I be sacked for gross misconduct if the piece makes no mention of the organisation or any members of staff?
  • If I've never seen/signed my original contract (highly plausible given our HR department), only a letter amending specific areas following promotion, could I still be sacked for breach of contract if there's anything in there about defaming the people of the borough I work in?

Thanks - and apologies this is so lengthy.

It's hard to give advice on allegations that we don't actually know, but I am assuming that this is being classed as "bringing the employer into disrepute" which yes, potnetially could be gross misconduct. If you are identifiable, which you were, and that identification could lead back to the employer, which it may, then that would certainly fall under the definition. The fact that this happened outside work and does not involve work collegaues does not mean that your employer cannot action it - people often wrongly assume that what they do outside work does not impact on their employment, but that is not necessarily true. But do remember that even if it could be viewed as gross misconduct, that does not automatically mean that you must be dismissed for it.

I would, however, suggest that you work hard on your mitigation. Simply because you were working on a characterisation for a creative writing class does not really explain how you happened to post it on the web - why did it need to be published in this way? Had it not been none of this would have happened. You are also going to have to explain about and evidence the surgery you have not previously disclosed - but a "sympathy vote" isn't likely, so you will need to provide an explanation for how this might have clouded your judgement. Could your doctor help with this?

1. Was comments by the public enabled on all posts? If so, how many comments did you have in the time span indicated and what was the general tone of them?

2. Did you register the site with Google or other web browsers? Did you advertise or actively promote the site on other web sites or via any other media?

I was involved in a *very* similar case to yours and my letter clearly stated that the charges could construe and act of gross misconduct and if proven, could result in my summarily dismissal.The investigating officer reported back to the General Manager that there was a case to answer and a date for a disciplinary hearing was set. However, I obtained a job with another trust in the meantime and due to a combination of this, a letter I sent to the general manager pleading leniancy and maybe because of nine years with my trust and having a very good record, the disciplinary case was 'stepped down' in their words and my reference will reflect a disciplinary was initiated but will state 'no sanctions imposed'.

However, as I say, I tendered my resignation which had a big impact on their assesment of the situation. If that road is not one you are in a position to go down, then I would still say a letter to those concerned is a viable option, showing yourself to be humble and accepting of your error of judgement. You have nothing to lose by that and it may reduce the decision to a final warning rather than dismissal.

Though oddly enough, I was not suspended for the seven months it took for the investigation to come to the disciplinary hearing stage but you state you were. Did they feel being in contact with your colleagues was detrimental to the investigation process?

I recall your post - how is it all going now?

But a suspension does not have to be because contact with colleagues is detrimental to the investigation. Basically, an employer can suspend provided that they pay the suspension. Good practice suggests that it should only be used as you describe, but the law doesn't actually say that. As the OP is in a union I wouldn't suggest saying anything else, verbally or in writing, without getting union advice.

Hello MrBlack, SarEl,

Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I've just read your thread MrB and you have my deepest sympathies for what sounds like a very traumatic few months. It's good to see that you've come out of the other side intact with a *relatively* positive outcome. (These cases do suggest that there are far too many officious, humourless folk out there, who could do with chilling out just a teeny bit!)

The idea of a letter apologising is great, and just as soon as I have some sort of idea of what I'm actually being accused of I'll try and pull something together, although I don't have 9 years service I've been there for almost 3 and have a good record, including being commended by senior management and promoted during that time so hopefully that may help (but I will ensure I run it past my union rep first). Plus I've removed the offending article and already posted an apology online with an explanation of the mitigating circumstances so hopefully that will provide some sort of damage limitation too.

Just to clarify, my employers were aware from the outset that I'd had a miscarriage (I was off work for a fortnight and provided a sick-note to cover me when I got back), I just failed to highlight that the blog entry was written during this time when my line manager spoke to me on Friday.

As far as posting on the blog was concerned, to be brutally honest I'm not entirely sure why I posted it (and can't actually remember doing so). It was totally out of character for me and was only the second time I'd actually put anything on the web - and haven't used it since. I know it sounds a bit lame, but I think my hormones were a bit all over the place at the time and I was behaving a bit irrationally.

I suspect my employers will want to get this sorted ASAP; our organisation went into 3 months consultation for redundancies last Monday so I’m they'll want to get this out of the way pretty quickly - I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing though.

Thansk again for your advice and support!

Hello Mr Black, nice to hear from you again. I hope life is going well for you.

As I read the OP, I thought of your thread and was about to suggest the OP read it in case it helps.

RiaRy, I hope you have some pointers now. Please ask if you need anything else or let us know how you get on please.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum