• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PPI advice 77 year old couple RBS loan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4134 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi a couple I know have a £7,000 loan with RBS it`s a 2007 loan with ppi added the husband died 2 weeks ago he was 77 so is the wife

No income is going into the bank at moment till pension credit, retirement pension, attendance allowance gets sorted into the wifes name she as had to have a £90 crisis loan of DWP she is overdrawn at the bank so as cancelled the loan to RBS her bank account is with RBS!!! surely the couple should not have been sold ppi and shouldn`t the loan be paid off now the husband as died?

The wife also signed a few years ago for a disabled chair with compass they went into liquidation? I have found the chair was £2,000 and £2,000 + as been added in charges Barclays are collecting this debt I have advised her to let me take her to CAB on Friday to inquire about a debt relief order the wife as not been paying the chair loan for a few months due to the safety catch being broke she as reported this many times and no one as been out to it the chair is dangerous she as tumbled out of it each time they write to her they are adding £20 pound to the loan

Any advice folk can`t beleive a couple of this age are in this position no wonder she is ill too

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Laura,

Makes me sick to the stomach when I hear of these leeches preying on the elderly and vulnerable.

You would need to have a read of the PPI documents to know whether they were covered in the event of death. But even if they are, no doubt the insurance company will take ages to investigate and in the end come back with some pathetic reason for why they will not pay out.

I suggest you have a look at the PPI policy documents and establish whether or not they were covered in the event of death.

In relation to the chair, unfortunately the fact the company are not responding to her appeals to repair the chair does not give her the right to stop payments.

If you remove all personal information from the agreement, you can post for others to have a look and we can help in suggesting what step to take next.

DJ

As you will see from the above a £7,990.80 loan was taken out in July 2006 the couple were both 73 and charged £2,626.80 for PPI this wasn`t worth the paper it was wrote on as death insurance is not payable it states over 70 years of age. PPI was never discussed the loan was with home shopping company which I believe is Great Universal they dealt with.

They made payments by sending postal orders and were being charged £5 for this they did not have a bank account they kept requesting a payment book of which they was told by RBS they couldn`t have one but they got one this year. The loan still stands at £7,316.73 4 years on. The husband died 3 weeks ago leading up to his death the wife had numerous letters all being charged at £30 a time and lots of phone calls this is disgraceful the couple could have never made any claim on this insurance as any accident etc you cannot have a pre-existing medical condition they have umpteen problems.

Because of the weather we have been housebound for over 10 days now where we live I have made and had to cancel 2 appointments now with CAB the next one being this Friday the wife is very frail and now 77 years of age she doesn`t know what day it is and as had no income coming in whilst the husbands claim for benefits has been removed from her payments all she as had is a £90 crisis loan however I hear some of the money as now started coming in she does get pension credit and a bank account as been set up for her utilities trouble is her bank is RBS they may take the loan payment which she has not been paying as she as no income.

They had been ringing her non stop up to the husband dying and charging her £10 for everyone of these calls

I am going to inquire at CAB about a debt relief programme any help suggestions etc before Friday would be appreciated this is an appauling situation and the wife is very distressed

These leeches at RBS are dispicable Laura.

Obviously they have absolutely no morals.

I have attached a spreadsheet with repayment details for the loan and the PPI, then calculated how much she is entitled to reclaim.

Personally, I would write a letter to the CEO of RBS, a google search should find the name for you and detail the events so far to date and include the reclaim for PPI.

Attach my spreadsheet and send special delivery, keeping the receipt as proof of purchase.

They have 8 weeks to investigate and provide a full response. But I suspect it will not take this long. There is no way RBS will want a case like this getting released to the press.

Any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck

DJ

These leeches at RBS are dispicable Laura.

Obviously they have absolutely no morals.

I have attached a spreadsheet with repayment details for the loan and the PPI, then calculated how much she is entitled to reclaim.

Personally, I would write a letter to the CEO of RBS, a google search should find the name for you and detail the events so far to date and include the reclaim for PPI.

Attach my spreadsheet and send special delivery, keeping the receipt as proof of purchase.

They have 8 weeks to investigate and provide a full response. But I suspect it will not take this long. There is no way RBS will want a case like this getting released to the press.

Any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck

DJ

DJ I am absolutally blown away with your kind help will send this off Monday I can`t thank you enough poor woman may not even get Pension Credit wish I had been there can`t understand what she is saying she gets £90 state retirement pension on a monday with this they also pay her £70 odd attendance allowance, her husbands private pension have awarded her £40 a week

Pension Credit came out to her last week and said she may not be entitled to it though her and her husband got it

DWP have wrote to say she is not entitled to a funeral payment mind you whilst a claim for Pension Credit as not been sorted this is probably correct

Merry Christmas to you and yours and thank you from the bottom of my heart for your time and effort:-D

Laura,

You very welcome.

I just hope your friend gets back what she deserves, as do RBS. Greedy, fat leeches.................

Do keep me up o date with progress.

Merry Christmas

DJ

Will do DJ be nice for the old lady a bit of cash poor woman could do with a change of luck mind you do worry as she banks with RBS will they use any refund to take back any money they owed

Laura,

RBS can only claim back the total of any arrears on any loans/credit cards, everything else must be paid directly to her.

Though keep an eye on this as RBS have been known to tell porkys about how much they can hold onto, called " right of offset "

Just keep us up to date with any developments and we will help guide you along the way.

Well done for the way you are helping her out, very nice of you.

DJ

Laura,

RBS can only claim back the total of any arrears on any loans/credit cards, everything else must be paid directly to her.

Though keep an eye on this as RBS have been known to tell porkys about how much they can hold onto, called " right of offset "

Just keep us up to date with any developments and we will help guide you along the way.

Well done for the way you are helping her out, very nice of you.

DJ

Will take all you have said on board and keep you posted I will help anyone I know what it feels like to be worrying over money equally it`s very good of you

I have a problem of my own but find it so hard to navigate and use the site since it altered that sadly I rarely look on here anymore which is a shame I used to comment so much on peoples posts but they never show up in my inbox anymore

I purchased a load of goods for my kitchen from the catalogue on buy now pay later paid them off but noticed the cooker and freezer were not showing queried this eventually when they could make head or tale of it they said they had been put on extended terms and that they had already been charging me for them, I argued that I had asked for all goods to be on buy now pay later why would I choose not to place 2 of the items on this.

I signed no credit agreement but they are insistent that this stands they have sent me a statement and terms of these 2 items as required by law yet they sent them only when I queried everything by law it said i should have got the details every 12 months got them 14 months after

I have requested a copy of the signed credit agreement what will they do now as I never signed one as didn`t want terms wanted to pay them off when the buy now pay later date was due

Where do I stand as they have added no end of interest at 29.9% cooker was £959 cash added £439.04 and freezer was £223.50 interest added is £66.45 started paying these on 21st November 2010

Any advice appreciated as I`m so annoyed wanted to pay the cash prices along with all the other items they put my fridge on the buy now pay later but not the freezer!!!

Will take all you have said on board and keep you posted I will help anyone I know what it feels like to be worrying over money equally it`s very good of you

I have a problem of my own but find it so hard to navigate and use the site since it altered that sadly I rarely look on here anymore which is a shame I used to comment so much on peoples posts but they never show up in my inbox anymore

I purchased a load of goods for my kitchen from the catalogue on buy now pay later paid them off but noticed the cooker and freezer were not showing queried this eventually when they could make head or tale of it they said they had been put on extended terms and that they had already been charging me for them, I argued that I had asked for all goods to be on buy now pay later why would I choose not to place 2 of the items on this.

I signed no credit agreement but they are insistent that this stands they have sent me a statement and terms of these 2 items as required by law yet they sent them only when I queried everything by law it said i should have got the details every 12 months got them 14 months after

I have requested a copy of the signed credit agreement what will they do now as I never signed one as didn`t want terms wanted to pay them off when the buy now pay later date was due

Where do I stand as they have added no end of interest at 29.9% cooker was £959 cash added £439.04 and freezer was £223.50 interest added is £66.45 started paying these on 21st November 2010

Any advice appreciated as I`m so annoyed wanted to pay the cash prices along with all the other items they put my fridge on the buy now pay later but not the freezer!!!

Can I suggest that you open a new thread for this post otherwsie people may get confused between the two issues.

Can I suggest that you open a new thread for this post otherwsie people may get confused between the two issues.

She does get state pension because thats all she gets she is entitled to get it made up with pension credit as my thread explains i am so unsure on how to start a new thread hence why it`s in this thread for time being

• 4 weeks later...

Urgent advice please BOS have telephoned the 77 year old lady this evening despite Citizens Advice dealing with things and writing asking creditors to not write or ring till they have sorted into the ladys financial affairs.

She hasn`t got her pension credit sorted yet they have rung tonight and she is sobbing on the phone to me how can these low life get away with it she was ready for bed and they have been told not to contact her as she is very frail, and can barely see and is quite traumatised since losing her husband of 58 years

She as not got the number as I was going to ring it back but her daughter as rung BOS tonight despite stating they close 7.30pm!!! they answered and denied ringing the old lady this evening her daughter as told them if they ring her again she is going to the police station and reporting them for harassment

• 2 weeks later...

just so you know the FSA has prescribed compensation in these cases and i know for a fact the loan company will try and get away without paying out correctly so do not accept any offer that doesnt clear the finance!!!!!!!! i cannot emphasise that enough.

the fsa states

repay the premium

repay historic interest

repay 8% on payments claims and most importantly here

"to pay for any claims for which the customer would reasonably have expected to be paid under the policy"

so unless on the phone call they specifically used the line" you wll not be eligble for life cover because you are too old" then screw them to the wall

Laura,

Go onto the PPI homepage. The first ten or so threads highlighted in yellow are what we call "stickys" In there is a thread called " Full sar for ppi" this is the thread I was referring to and will give you all the information you need.

If you get stuck, give us a shout and we will help.

Good luck

DJ

Laura,

Go onto the PPI homepage. The first ten or so threads highlighted in yellow are what we call "stickys" In there is a thread called " Full sar for ppi" this is the thread I was referring to and will give you all the information you need.

If you get stuck, give us a shout and we will help.

Good luck

DJ

Thanks DJ found it completed it 2 questions the loans were joint and the elderly gent is now dead what does this affect?

And any idea where and whom to send it to

Regards

Laura

Laura,

In normal circumstances both husband and wife would have to sign the SAR on a joint account.

But when her husband died, the lady should have taken a copy of the death certificate to the bank to have his name removed from the account. Do you know if this was done?

If it has been, the account is now hers and therefore she alone has to sign.

RBS registered address is 36 St Andrew Square Edinburgh EH2 2YB and mark it for the attention of the data controller.

DJ

If the papers have not been taken to the bank, then that needs to be done asap and certainly before sending the SAR.