• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Medical Assessment for Incapacity Benefit

dan8
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4086 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry I'm a bit confused.....If the report from my medical yesterday comes back saying that they think I can now work and aren't entitled to ESA because I haven't scored 15 or more points, what happens? Help appreciated.

My partner had an assessment like this, and has lost his Incapacity Benefit as a result. He was interviewed by a Midwife, and declared fit to work despite having severe depression and social anxiety for years, and doctor's notes to show for it.

The interview was a few months ago, and I tried to encourage him to appeal, but the thought of facing a tribunal was too much for him, so he wouldn't do it. They continued to pay him until last month, but now the payments have stopped.

I am shocked, first of all, that the opinion of a Midwife, made in 15 minutes, counts for more than the opinion of the GP who has known him all through his illness. Midwives are trained in the care of pregnant women and the delivery of babies. They are not skilled in psychiatric assessment.

I am also distressed to find that depression and social anxiety are not really represented in the ESA questionnaire, or the questions asked at the ATOS assessment.

He is extremely distressed by the mere thought of visiting the Jobcentre, never mind all the hoops he will be expected to jump through there. Then there are job interviews, and then, if by some miracle there is an employer out there willing to give him a chance, there is the job...colleagues.. people. All this is a massive mountain of fear for someone who barely leaves the house at all.

I have contacted our local MIND, asking for advice on what to do next.

Unfortunately the ESA form is so very good with its wording to enable you to not to give the all the relevant details. In my opinion, its more like a form where you always have to give more information for every box you tick. You think you answered the question, not realising why they asked the question in that way , so you dont give them the information in the way thats helpful to you. Like can you move from one seat to another right next to it. It doesnt define what type of seat, so most will think their normal seat, not a chair without arms.

Ah the myth of the midwives doing Assessment, many Midwives are also Adult /General Nurses, as for many years the only way to become a Midwife was to train as a General Nurse and then do midwifery training. Even with the Direct entry courses of the past 15 -20 years a significant number of new Midwifery registrants came from the route of second registration programmes. I have met a few Nurses/Midwives who are / could be triple registered as well. A midwife who is not eligible for registration as a Adult/ General Nurse or MH Nurse would not be able to maintain her registration by working for ATOS doing health assessments.

I also see the diagnosis fallacy is alive and well, DLA and ESA are NOT awarded on the basis of diagnosis. The determinations are not challenges to your diagnosis. Many Consultants even in rehab medicine will freely admit that they look to the advice of their Nursing, Physio and OT colleagues on the function and Activities of Daily Living ( ADL) abilities of patients.

I also see that people are forgetting that few Doctors are actually trained in conducting health and ADL assessments as opposed to taking a medical history, this is something Nurses, Physios and OTs are taught from Day 1 week 1.

We'll not even go into all the things that are in place to support people into work or the things that employers do to comply with the equality act, or the poor take up of these things because people don;t seek advice or get themselves all frothed before they even know if they are going to have to move benefits.

and before the usual Haters start, yes I have worked in the NHS, yes i do have along term mental health condition and no i don;t claim ESA because I am willing and able to go out to work rather than sit at home and feel sorry for myself.

the answer to 'how do I ensure I get the best chance of success with my claim?' is to get advice on the claim process and what to put in the applications and be aware of the fact that the assessments are a holistic process and not just focussed on keywords in answers.

benefits being awarded on the basis of diagnosis is debatable. It seems as though you need a diagnosis for them to take you seriously in the first place.

Topics elsewhere along these lines often have someone popping up with i've got x/y/z condition, why won't they just shower me with free money? ...

lack of diagnosis can be an issue, as can refusal of people to accept that there can be a somatic component to some conditions and that 'functional' problems is not an excuse for failure to find a cause.

Topics elsewhere along these lines often have someone popping up with i've got x/y/z condition, why won't they just shower me with free money? ...

I've noticed this too. Yet, those of us with conditions which do cause care and mobility needs (which have been backed up by a GP) are being told there's nothing wrong. That person has never met me, nor do they have access to 20+ years of my medical history.

Some conditions are pretty well in theory a gibbon tho, those on intravenous chemotherapy i think is a case. But those with a fairly common condition but are like the 1 in a 1000 to have more serious symptoms have an uphill struggle. I do agree with zippygbr that lack of a diagnosis can be an issue as well as a generic diagnosis, as we all know they like to have supporting medical evidence.

Ive watched enough of jezza to say there has been a certain element of the population whom beileve that benefits is the prefered way of life. Wouldnt say that so much now with a stricter regime in place. I understand , please forgive me if my words are deemed awful, that there has been a large increase of ptsd diagnosis and i was told by heathcare proffesional that bi polar was a current trend. It would seem these being diagnosed more often has led to an element of doubt of the impact of these conditions as a whole. I used those 2 conditions as an example but i hope you get the idea. More diagnoses = more doubt on the effect it has. I also agree that there are people who believe that because they have a condition that they should have benefit without realising that its how it affects you is the reason for the benefit and not because of what you have.

zippygbr is right about the forms, definately get advice on the forms, tho i think there is a belief that the way answers are worded can make a difference. For me i just told the truth with no exaggerations.

It seems that there are conditions (such as borderline personality disorder and fibro) which are labels given when there's no obvious other possible diagnosis. I had this when I was younger - everything was blamed on my sight loss. It turns out I had nocturnal epilepsy, another eye condition and a problem with my brain.

• 2 months later...
We'll not even go into all the things that are in place to support people into work or the things that employers do to comply with the equality act, or the poor take up of these things because people don;t seek advice or get themselves all frothed before they even know if they are going to have to move benefits.

Meanwhile, back in the world experienced by people with genuine problems who see daily discrimination, lack of support, cuts in funding to the services that actually help them and would like nothing more than to be allowed to find a way to work within the limitations of the conditions which prevent them fitting in to the world of conventional work ...

The alleged support to help people get back into work which sounds wonderful turns out to be very little more than an exercise in paper shuffling so parasitic corporations can get "paid on results" by pushing the people they're supposed to be helping into inappropriate and, quite frankly, offensive training programs, taking absolutely no account of their conditions or previous work experience.

The measures taken by employers in order to comply with the equality act end up being the absolute minimum they can possibly do to get on the right side of the law.

Poor take up and not seeking advice generally comes from lack of awareness, embarrassment and previous experience of bad advice and/or things that sound good turning out to be just going through the motions to avoid legal problems.

and before the usual Haters start, yes I have worked in the NHS, yes i do have along term mental health condition and no i don;t claim ESA because I am willing and able to go out to work rather than sit at home and feel sorry for myself.

Well good for you, I'm glad there's at least one person in the UK with a long term mental condition who apparently isn't affected by the prejudice and constant battle to get support that a *lot* of others experience.

The implication here that other people would rather sit at home and feel sorry for themselves is hugely offensive and if you really do work in the NHS and you're a medical professional you might consider reading up on the code of conduct you're supposed to adhere to.

You're in work and not claiming ESA not because you are "willing and able to go out to work" but because you are fortunate enough that your condition isn't sufficiently debilitating to prevent you going out to work.