Invoicing Problems

vinny17

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4071 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am currently trying to buy a car from Mercedes Benz, we've agreed on a price and they are willing to sell the car to me, however, the money is coming out from my business account and i therefore need it invoiced to my company due to VAT purposes. The sales lady came back to me saying sorry but it has to be invoiced to your private name and registered to your private name because head office don't want any cars invoiced to any companies. I don't mind if the car is registered to my name and my home address. But it must be invoiced to my company.

Are Mercedes Benz allowed to do this? And is there any other way around this?

Thanks

Yes, they can stipulate no 'commercial sales' and that is an end to the matter, however this shouldn't affect you. As you are a director of the company the invoice can be simply used as if it was a commercial purchase in your records. From memoty, there is no VAT on secondhand vehicles sold not sold commercially, so there doesn;t seem to be any adverse issues. Your 'company' would have to be a Limited or Public entity to make any real difference, if so, then you as a private purcaser can sell it on to your firm for the same amount.

Thanks for the reply,

The company I own is a car leasing company and the cars i am purchasing are known as VAT Qualifying cars, which means when I purchase them I can claim the VAT back and only pay the VAT when i sell the car a couple of years later. Therefore to claim the VAT back I need it invoiced to my company. If the cars didn't include the VAT element then I would just buy them under my name and sell it to my company. Ive only had this problem with Mercedes, all the other car dealers are happy to sell to me.

Time to buy a car from someone else then. In this climate there must be a stonking good reason if they don't want to sell commercial vehicles to you. No idea what this would be though. They don't need to do anything they don't want to, unless there is some sort of price fixing/supply [problem] going on.

It will be a direct result of the way they deal with R&C. There has been cases of VAT being fiddled due to a lack of care, so if they have a blanket ban on retailing this may be because they have accounted for and settled the VAT liability. Therefore they will not entertain a commercial sale for those reasons.