Jump to content

flooded by water pipe , united utilities resposibility ???


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4092 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi Guys/Gurls , firstly , sorry if i posted in wrong section ,

My problem is , we woke this morning to find 2 feet of water in our cellar + blown electric . found the cause of the flood , a leak at stop-cock below pavement outside next doors property. Rang united util , came out and turned off water to next door , (stopped any more water flooding in) awaiting repair team to dig road and repair broken pipe .

Spoken to UU and they claim they are not responsible for any costs regarding removing water , electrician callout , damaged goods in cellar (power tools , fridge freezer fishing gear etc) and it is the next door neighbours responsibility as it is not a main water leak .

I am now expected to pay for a electrician , possibly fire-brigade to pump water out , as i have no contents insurance , and then clean up the mess , i have looked at http://www.unitedutilities.com/Documents/A_simple_guide_to_water_pipes_drains_and_sewers.pdf

and its a bit of a grey area , as the leak is between stop-cock and before next doors garden begins (on public walkway).


I know its unlikely , but has anybody had any similar issues , or can offer any advice , as i am really not financially capable of paying out for all this mess , which was no fault of my own , btw , i am sat here with no electric , and a swimming pool for a cellar lol:-x


many thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've moved the thread to legal issues. If it's your neighbours fault you might be able to claim on their policy or take them to small claims court. I'm not an expert, but I'm sure they will be along shortly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think...


it depends where the leak was. If it was on the main, then it’s the utility company. If it was between the main and your neighbour’s property, then it’s your neighbour’s responsibility and you will have to claim against their insurance (although your insurance company should deal with this for you).


From what you say the issue lies with the supply in to your neighbour’s property.


Well, that’s how it works with Thames Water where I am – they never stop bombarding me with sales letters for optional insurance to tell me as much.

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009


If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for reply donkey , the guys have been to dig up the road today , the leak was on the stop-cock , therefore in my eyes , its the utility companies responsibility , will chase them up monday morning

Link to post
Share on other sites

now this could get interersting


watch UU deny its their problem!!



please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Yes, if the leak is located on the Highway, the Utility Company is liable, if leak is on neighbouring land, the landowner is liable, and if that is the case, then as said, ask next door for their insurance policy details and claim from insurance Co. You need to establish precise location of leak, downstream flow, the Utility Co, upstream flow, then it's next door. Neither party accepts liability, bring an action against both and let the court decide who is and who is not responsible. Flood the two said parties, with your complaint and put them both on notice in respect of the potential claim.


Kind regards


The Mould

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...