Advice on deposti and final rent

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4059 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

can someone tell me if this is correct please, as i cannot think straight anymore.

I private rented a house in 2009, i put deposit of £500 plus 1 month rent in advance of £550. My year ended in oct 2010.

When i rented the house i was out of work, then 4 mths after i moved in i got a job. When i moved across from JSA and full HB to mthly paid from my job, i struggled as i got no help from jobcenter due to only being unemployed for 25 weeks (26 is when extra payments kick in).

I explained my situation to my landlord and he said not to worry they would use some of my deposit to make up the shortfall that was missing from my final HB payment.

This was around £280 ish.

They then added a futher £70 in admin fee to change over from 4 weekly rent to monthly.

I was paying this off bit at a time.

Due to my house being miles away from my new job, in july i started to activly look for somewhere closer to live as commuting costs were taking up a third of my wage.

Then just 3 weeks after my assured shorthold tennany ended i found somewhere, and had to act fast before i lost it.

I paid everything i had on the deposit and (stupidly) paid my months rent i had for my current place down as my 1st mths rent on my new place...my new tennancy started 4th nov.

I told my landlord on the day i signed for the new house (to make sure everything was ok and it wasnt a [problem])

he wasnt happy and said i should pay my months rent and should give notice of a month as per contract.

The date i gave notice was the 4th nov.

When i moved out of the property i left it in a clean and tidy manner and took pictures just in case.

Then i recived a letter off the landlord saying that

I only have 186 left of my deposit and i still owe last mths rent of 550.

They are taking deductions as follows

1 weeks rent of £126 up to 6th nov

1 final months rent of £550 - 6th nov to 6th dec.

remainder left for switch from 4 weely to mthly rent £32

Deposit left 186

minus above figures 708

leave a balance for me to pay of £522

If they manage to rent the property out they will adjust accordingly.

I have been given a little time to pay the balance and they want to know "how" im going to pay, if i dont pay it they will take me to court and sue me!

I havent heard anything since (up to today), but i know that a let has been agreed just a few days after i moved out of the property.

What i cant understand are the figures......where does the 126 week rent figure in all of this? I gave my notice on 4th not the 6th!

I understand i should have done it bit differently but i was scared id lose my new property if i didnt act fast.

Hope someone can help figure it our

First off, bump, as got to go...

Second, was your deposit protected? Do NOT mention this to the Agent/Landlord etc at present though

Third, can you put together a scheule of all payment due/made, cross referenced to any HB payments made, so can have a clear picture of what is owed - typing quickly, but it occured to me that if there was a change over from 4 weekly rent to monthly then were the terms changed - and, if so, that may worsen your position. Don't panic though, there is an argument to be had that you gave notice, which they accepted, so keep it simple and agree terms with them asap (subject to doing the sums!)

Will try to log back in later and at the very least this short messages 'bumps' your post back to the top ;) so others can weigh in too

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)

- £126 is (just under) one weeks rent (£550*12/52). Do you agree you owe one weeks rent?

- £550 is obviously one months rent. Do you agree you owe one months rent?

- Do you agree you owe the previous deductions?

If yes to the above, then propose a repayment plan of £x per week/month and stick to it.

If no to the above, then you need to contest it. How you contest it will depend on wether or not your deposit is one that should ahve been protected and has been protected.

I didnt have any new terms or contract when i changed from 4 weekly to monthly. I see that i should have given a months notice, but i cannot see where the extra week has come from?

If i gave notice on the 4th then at the most (rent was due 1st of every month), that would be 4 days not a week!

My deposit was put into a scheme (tennant deposit scheme) when i first rented the house.

can a landlord "round" up the final months rent?

gave notice on 4th but they saying that they always "round" it up to a week! So they getting an extra 3 days from me plus the month!

Seems a good way to add extra to your bank account.