• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Ex Comet Employee

hitemup
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4339 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey everyone,

I would like to introduce myself and I am an ex Comet employee.

I am happy to give any assistance you need with relation to any disputes you have with them, and will gladly advise how you can work your way around it if possible.

Since I got screwed, I will help you screw them back on my behalf, legitimately of course.

Look forward to hearing your comments.

Hitemup. :!:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey1 i worked 4 comet but was forced out 4 years ago due to severe mental illness and had no support.well went back 2 working at comet this xmas but have quit a week b4 my contract ran out as its only a temp job.they have screwed my wages up.i gave wrong bank details and gave them right bank details but the manager said they were wrong even tho the guy in the bank wrote it down 4 me!the assistant manager said 2 me she doesnt think i would get paid anyway coz i have a savings account but at my interview on the 19th november the manager said it was fine...then struggled 2 get my details on the system so left it 4 head office but ****ed it up anyway by giving wrong info.so now its xmas day and i dont have my wages and was never going 2 get them because if it turns out they cant pay into my savings account then no matter waht details i gave the cash wouldnt get in my bank.

Am thinking of ringing head office instead of going through the store coz the mananger is a total idiot.

I have now been ****ed over twice by comet.....

• 3 weeks later...

yes thank god! it was finally in my account last wednesday,bout 2 weeks after payday! the manager and assistant manager basically talked out of their arses and if they had allowed me 2 talk 2 head office instead of saying they would sort it and didnt sort it i would have got it sooner.

Advice 2 every1,always talk 2 head office directly when dealing with comet,never go through a store!

• 3 weeks later...

I've only worked as an xmas temp, but I seriously think Comet have f***ed about with my wages. I got paid this Wednesday and was expecting a very hefty amount. Instead I check my account online and what I got paid was very little for what I had worked over the last 2 weeks of last December, which was 79 hours in total.

I log on to my online banking to find I got £103 paid into it, instead of £468 (minus any tax). Now all I can do is wait until my P45 arrives in the post to sort anything out.

It takes the absolute p***! :-x

Hiya,with comet there is a cut off point 4 overtime.what contract hours were u on?? was it a 5 hour contract? coz they spread overtime over 2 months,u may get the rest of it in february.

Did u get a payslip as well? coz u should have done! i am still waiting 4 my p45 and i left in december!

U can ring payroll,the number is 0844 8470844,press option 1 4 human resources then option 2 4 other pay issues and talk to the person at payroll,they r really helpful i find!

That's the funny thing because I don't actually know what hours I was contracted to do! I just walked straight into Comet, asked if they had any work and they gave me a job straight away the following day of asking! So to be honest, I got told I could do as many hours as I wanted because they had the hours to "give away." I don't think I was told whether I was on contracted hours.

Yeah I left in December due to the end of my contract there. However, the store itself was closed for good not that long ago because Comet didn't have the budget to keep that store running any longer. The last time I got a payslip was on the 22nd of December for what I worked from the previous weeks. So I'm yet to wait on a payslip and my P45!

In the mean time, I'll try and look for a more secure job around in my area...

yeah comet are rubbish at people skills,i have worked twice 4 them haha my wages were meant 2 b paid on tuesday but didnt get them until yesyerday.payroll are good though,the only department that cares.the way comet do things is stupid,if a store meets its target then head office raise the sales target but slash the wage budget 2 maximise profits,just a stupid way of doing things coz then morale drops rapidly.

Mikey,they would have had 2 stick u on the system 4 u 2 get paid so my advice would b 2 ring payroll coz all ur hours will b on the system.or write 2 comet head office and mark it 4 payroll.payroll will help u out.

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering if you could help me in a different problem hope you don't mind.. i am considereing purchasing some monster dr dre beats off a comet employee and he told me that comet employees get a discount from monster and are able to buy the headphones for themselves for very cheap is this a GENUINE employee offer or is it false?? thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

I was wondering if you could help me.

I purchased a washing machine 5/08 with 5 year warranty. Machine broke down in sept 2010 I phoned up they could not recognise me on their system. I gave both delivery and billing address. I spent 3 days trying to sort it out, I assumed the warranty had not gone through properly.

I could not do without my machine so I had a machine repair man fix it.

It broke down again, I called again 7th feb insisting they loooked into it further as I had proof of purchase (searched my email and got it). They still couldnt find it, it took 10hrs worth of phone calls and eventually found it. Repair guy went out 3 weeks later on 21st feb but could not find address????? They had put incorrect details on system.

When they did turn up eventually they said I have voided my warranty as I had an independant person look at the washing machine. I am so ****ed off.

I had to get this person out as they told me I had no warranty, why would I want to pay extra. AAAAHH

Can you help me please thanks

• 1 month later...

I recently finished working at comet, i was pushed out by the new sales manager as the power fully went to his head, caused me loads of problems to the point that i had to leave comet or i was going to be fired after the disaplinery hearing at a different store, i was told to take a weeks paid holiday as my notice period, it is now 4 days after pay day and i have phoned pay roll and have been told im not being paid, found that the manager changed the date of which i left and im not being paid at all when i should have been paid from the 20th of feb to the 5 march plus a weeks paid holiday and any team bonus. What can i do?? i want to sue them??

I recently finished working at comet, i was pushed out by the new sales manager as the power fully went to his head, caused me loads of problems to the point that i had to leave comet or i was going to be fired after the disaplinery hearing at a different store, i was told to take a weeks paid holiday as my notice period, it is now 4 days after pay day and i have phoned pay roll and have been told im not being paid, found that t

he manager changed the date of which i left and im not being paid at all when i should have been paid from the

20th of feb to the 5 march plus a weeks paid holiday and any team bonus. What can i do?? i want to sue them??

Did you get anything in writing to prove you took it as holiday? I work at another large store and any holiday we book is entered onto a form with a slip signed by both the employee and manager. If not do you have a copy of a letter of resignation or a contract saying the date you were due to finish? I'm not overly clued up on these issues but I'm not sure what you can do without written proof.

typically no i did have holiday booked but manager told me to change the date and have it as the week notice period..... and no i dont have any of the copys but i could probably get them, if i dont say anything about pay etc i can probably get copies, would that help my case?

Did you get anything in writing to prove you took it as holiday? I work at another large store and any holiday we book is entered onto a form with a slip signed by both the employee and manager. If not do you have a copy of a letter of resignation or a contract saying the date you were due to finish? I'm not overly clued up on these issues but I'm not sure what you can do without written proof.

typically no i did have holiday booked but manager told me to change the date and have it as the week notice period..... and no i dont have any of the copys but i could probably get them, if i dont say anything about pay etc i can probably get copies, would that help my case?

• 9 months later...

Hello there

I was wondering if I could get on here help

I was recently employed by Comet as a xmas temp and been told to go on my last day of work which was 7th of Jan. 2012. I did not like the way I was treated, i think it was inappropriate and unacceptable; first I was told on my last day at work that it is actually my last day and that they cannot keep me any longer due to lack of budged although they have decided to keep two other people who were also took on board during xmas time and I also saw 2 new people coming next week as a temporary colleagues (What a f**k!?). I have been told a couple of weeks prior to my leave that I should assume that my contract will end on 7th of January from one manager and the one who was interviewing me(different one) said that he will do an evaluation with me after xmas and will decide whether to take me on permanent or not (initially I applied for part-time permanent position with 20-25 hours per week) and suddenly at the end i was told that there i low budget and that they appreciate my all hard work and good bye. What a revolting attitude to employees!!!

Secondly on my last day I have been removed from GEM system and as a result I could no longer earn provision on my sales. From my perspective they should not have done it this way, I should be kept on the system till the end of that day!!

Can you please give me any details to the Head Office where I can write a formal complaint about these above issues I have. Or where I can find one.

Ok thanks a lot Conniff I'll try this one. i;ve already emailed comet head office for some advice in this matter. Will post here the outcome as soon as I will get one. If I will of course ;)

Hello jms - have a go at this one, they don't come any higher - [email protected]

He's tha man at the top, please come back and let us know how you get on, good or bad.

No he is not ! , once again COMET has no connection with DSG to where the above email is getting sent to .

Come on Site Team attention to detail please :?::jaw:

Edited by GorgieBoy

Regards

GorgieBoy

At this present moment in time the Managing Director of COMET is Bob Darke...........[email protected]

John Browett holds a similar position with DSG = CURRYS /PC WORLD/DIXONS/ KNOWHOW ect .

They have nothing to do with COMET , just to clear things up a bit.

There are other contact numbers and email addresses to be found if you browse some of the COMET threads here on CAG.

Edited by GorgieBoy

Regards

GorgieBoy

• 1 month later...

John Clare, formerly of DSG, is now top-dog at Comet, at least for the time being. It is rumoured that Comet is going to be wound down over the next 12 to 18 months in a 'controlled ruination'.

The same Cerberus corporate demolition squad, which killed off Focus DIY, B&B, Northern Rock, the Derbyshire and Cheshire Building Societies and Woolworth plc, has been installed in Comet HQ (under the new guise of OpCapita. New name, same people).

Before clearing their desks at Comet, former owners Kesa propped up the Comet pension scheme with a £50m bung. The collapse of the scheme could have been a major headache. Several hundred redundancies have been announced already, mostly in delivery logistics, call centres and the repair centre. Many more job losses are in the offing.

Since a dark cloud looms overhead for Comet, the consumer should question the worth of its product warranties.

[1] http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9055408/John-Clare-wins-Comet-suppliers-support-ahead-of-OpCapitas-buy.html

[2] http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2099320/Comet-puts-risk-450-jobs-plans-scale-house-repairs-operation.html

[3] http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/nov/09/comet-sold-for-2-pounds-kesa

"Since a dark cloud looms overhead for Comet, the consumer should question the worth of its product warranties."

Aren't they underwritten by someone??

At this moment this is how it stands , but things are changing rapidly every day,

Comet Group Plc and Triptych Insurance N.V. represent the combined operations of Comet Group Plc and Triptych Insurance N.V. Comet Group Plc operates a chain of electrical products retail stores. It offers laundry and dishwashers, fridges and freezers, cookers, microwaves, vacuum cleaners, small appliances, televisions, digital recorders, Blu-ray and DVD players, home cinema systems, TV and DVD accessories, computers, desktop computers, and laptops. Triptych Insurance N.V. provides warranties to electronic products. Comet Group Plc is based in Hull, United Kingdom. Triptych Insurance N.V. is based in the Netherlands.

For how long for is another question ! As OpCapita bought Comet and Warranties for a Total of £2.00

And yes edwin "controlled ruination" could also be replaced with " contolled demolition or explosion "

Watch this space ..................

Regards

GorgieBoy