Stolen phone

longtallsally

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4071 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On 31st October this year I lost my mobile phone whilst on a day out, I didn't realise until I got home, I phoned around the places I had been and a bar that I had been in said they had it there!! So after work the next day I went to the bar to collect it, only to find that it wasn't my phone, I immediately phoned Orange, who I have my contract with!! to inform them, only to be told that £80 worth of calls had been made to Australia and that those calls were my responsibilty. However, today I have learned that, in fact, £600 worth of calls had been made to Australia and Nigeria and that I have to pay for them!!

Am I really liable for these calls??? They would clearly flag up as 'unusal usage' and if this had been a credit card, this would have been noted. As soon as I realised my phone was lost I phoned Orange, up until that point I thought it was safe with the owner of the bar I had been in!

I do not have £600 to pay this bill

Can anyone help!!!

Yes you are liable for the call charges, your contract makes it clear that you are responsible for any charges until the SIM card is reported missing and also that you are responsible for any usage on the phone regardless of whether or not you actually made the calls.

A mobile phone isn't a credit card and you will probably find your argument about unusual usage will fall on deaf ears, mobile phone companies do have fraud prevention systems but on the whole these systems are aimed at protecting them not you from the effects of fraud.

Your best bet in this instance is to explain that you can't afford to pay the charges and ask them whether they will waive some of these charges as a gesture of goodwill and allow you to setup a payment arrangement by installments for the rest, you should probably resign yourself at this stage though to paying some or all of the charges.