Help - IUC . whats the procedure? will i be prosecuted?

very_worried

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4199 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hope someone can help with some procedures of an IUC. Earlier this year i was made redundant so signed on , and applied for HB (both were granted).. I then was successful in finding myself a job so signed off , and asked if the DWP would let HB know i had found work or would i need to do this. DWP said no its fine . We will inform them. Stupidly i took their word for this.

I initially did not notice that my HB was still being paid into my account as i had borrowed some money from my parents in order to cover myself for the first month so didn't check my account. I then realised that DWP had not informed HB team of my circumstances so i emailed them advising them of a change in circumstances. I did not hear anything off them , and left it again for a month. I then sent a letter saying i had found work but on a different date ,( stupidly thought i'd get away with it :eek:) and waited another fortnight(along with another payment) & then recived a letter off them asking me to fill in a form and asking why i had not informed them & saying my letter did not tally with the DWP date.

I have sent off the form they sent to me along with my income & expenditure & a letter explaining my cirecumstances in full & fully confessing that i had given them the wrong date .I want to pay the money back ( i have not spent the last 3 payments they have sent me) but did spend the first months HB (on rent rather than fripperies )

I have worked out that i owe that approx £780.00 and i am prepared to accept the consequences of my actions as i know i am in the wrong , and that it was a very dishonest thing to do . Infact i am deeply ashamed of my behaviour & can't beleive my own stupidety

so what i am asking is i know i can expect an IUC , but what will happen in the interview? Is it likely i will be prosecuted? I have not done anything like this before, and this was the first time i had ever claimed HB as well.

I also have the last 3 payments to pay back straight away .. and infact i have made attempts to do this by calling the over payments team but they have told me i need an invoice before they can accept any payment from me?

Can anyone who has been in this situation offer me any advice?

Hi Very

Welcome to CAG

The guys will advise as soon as they are available. I think they have a higher threshold for prosecutions, so I don't think they would take that route, they will want the monies back, probably interest too.

An IUC is governed by PACE - you can bring a solicitor but from what you've said I wouldn't bother. The purpose is to establish the facts of what has occured. ie: Whether or not you made false statement or failed to promptly declare a change in circumstances that you knew effected your entitlement to benefit. Whether you did this with dishonest intentions.

Following an IUC the Local Authority will decide whether to a] Take no action, b] Offer Ad Pen (30% o/p fine), c] Offer Caution, d] Prosecute. If a caution/ad pen is refused then you could be prosecuted.

It is rare an LA or DWP will prosecute for anything under £2000 as it is not cost effective. Where a full & frank admission to every element of the offence is given at IUC they usually offer a Caution [assuming you have no previous similar offences on record] These actions are taken in addition to collecting the o/p.

Edited by sunny jim
more info

thanks for the replies. I have had another letter off HB team asking me for proof of capital?I said on the form i had no savings (under 6 grand) which is true. I don't.. do i now have to send them my bank statements to prove this? I am a bit uncomfortable about doing this... not that i have anything to hide from them but i feel like that is invading my privacy..

An IUC is governed by PACE - you can bring a solicitor but from what you've said I wouldn't bother. The purpose is to establish the facts of what has occured. ie: Whether or not you made false statement or failed to promptly declare a change in circumstances that you knew effected your entitlement to benefit. Whether you did this with dishonest intentions.

Following an IUC the Local Authority will decide whether to a] Take no action, b] Offer Ad Pen (30% o/p fine), c] Offer Caution, d] Prosecute. If a caution/ad pen is refused then you could be prosecuted.

It is rare an LA or DWP will prosecute for anything under £2000 as it is not cost effective. Where a full & frank admission to every element of the offence is given at IUC they usually offer a Caution [assuming you have no previous similar offences on record] These actions are taken in addition to collecting the o/p.

no i have not done anything like this before.. its the first time i have claimed HB...