• Tweets

• But if 'non-essential' retail outlets can still deliver even though they have to close the shop what's the reasoning behind not allowing supermarkets to deliver the same items?  I read a whole article this morning on how deliveries are fine but click and collect isn't.   And as an aside, what's he got against office supplies for everyone WFH?  I could have a whole other discussion about his allowing unlimited sales of batteries - can't work, can't clothe your children but you should devote your time to battery powered devices.  You have to wonder.
    • He is stopping retailers allowed to open selling what is on the Non Essential list as he says not fair supermarketys can sell what the shops he forced to close sell, he is looking at restricting online shopping to exclude non essential items don't think he can though.  Argos closed their retail outlets but are taking online orders for delivery.
    • It has been established in several cases that Delivering isn't parking, and in any case if it was the 10 minutes grace would apply.  they would be silly to take a delivery driver to court if on deliveries. Were you in a van or car?
    • So if you're expecting a baby in the next couple of weeks not only can you not buy baby clothes or bedding in Tesco but he also wanted to stop new parents getting the stuff online?  I'm sure I read somewhere that non-essential retailers who have had to close may still deliver.  Does this mean you can get non-essential items in your supermarket shop if it's delivered but not if you shop in store?    This sort of stupidity isn't to do with the virus, it's a pure power play surely.
    • PDF please so we can zoom  read upload   any road marking on private land are purely tarmac graffiti and have no standing in law. and anyway all speculative invoices issue for parking have a 10min grace period   dx      
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Boiler is old/inaffecient and too expensive to run? do we have any rights

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3620 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi there

it's freezing out there and we put our boiler on and within 10 minutes it had used up 80p so we worked out to heat our house for 1 hour would cost £4.80, £134.00 a week which is ridiculous we have had the gas man over who has said oh well its an old boiler and the management company don't seem to care either, we have contacted our supplier and they have confirmed it isn't there tarriff

do we have any rights if we cannot afford to heat our property or have hot water.

our tenancy agreement doesn't run out till July

Hi gill

Thats ridiculous. I think the best thing might be to contact Shelter and get some free advice from them.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/renting_and_leasehold/rights_and_responsibilities

Alternatively you might be better off getting another form of heating. But check the power consumption.

thanks for the reply rebel11

we have electric oiled filled radiators which are very economical and we do have a electric shower unit in the bath but the walls in the house are very damp and moldy because we aren't putting the heating on in the full house just one room at a time mainly the front room, so we are all wearing new pj's, we have hot water bottles. we have 2 children aged 5 & 7 it's not fair on them

Apologies if teaching grandmother to suck eggs.

Firstly, have you calculated your usage correctly, because this sounds like far too much for any boiler to maintain without melting to slag!

If you have a metric meter, each meter unit is a cubic metre which is about 11kW/hours.

If you have an imperial meter each meter unit is 100 cubic feet which is about 32kW/hours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/consumer_advice/latest_meters_pic.shtml

Roughly, a boiler for a 3 bed house might burn about 30kW when going at full strength, which equates to approx 80p per hour or so(?). Though once the boiler is up to speed it isn't usually on all the time.

That's clearer. It means that the boiler may be fine, but the prepayment meter may not be.

Are you able to repeat your test but read the gas meter? (and follow the instructions I gave).

Is the gas meter one supplied by the gas company? Check the unit cost of the gas with the supplier and see if you can switch to a cheaper supplier.

As the EDF figures exclude 5% VAT (I checked them on the web) at those rates, 77p of gas equates to 15kWhours (54p for the first 7.34kWhours and 3p per kWhour for each subsequent kW hour).

This still sounds like a lot for a domestic boiler to use in 10 minutes. Are you quite sure it was just 10 minutes? How many radiators in your house?

However, you should not multiply by 6 to calculate the cost for an hour, because the first few units are the most expensive. The second and subsequent 10 minute periods would cost (at the above rate) 45 pence, not 77 pence.

However, the boiler is unlikely to need to run continuously. It might be worth getting a better estimate of the costs of running the boiler for, say, 3 hours. Also, read the gas meter before and after to check that the prepayment meter is set up correctly.

Boilers are relatively simple things, and even old boilers are relatively efficient. I have a friend who installs boilers for a living. He has complained that the council have installed a modern condensing boiler in his house that is *less* efficient than the old one he used to have.

basically over the space of an hour he switched it on for a minute here and a minute there then he switched it off and we checked the meter and it was 11.40 then we switched it back on with the water too and it was 11.23 within a couple of minutes

When you first switch on a central heating system it has to warm up all the radiators, so will be on constantly for a while. Then assuming it is not -10C outside, the boiler will only need to run for some of the time to keep the radiators warm. And if you have a thermostat, the boiler may switch off completely for a while.

Switching it on for a minute here and there won't give you accurate figures.

If you want to submit a complaint, I would suggest that you start with a cold house today (as it's nice and cold outside), and run the boiler for, say, 3 hours having taken readings of the gas meter, as well as the amount of money.

While you are doing that, check all the radiators and note down which ones get warm (or not) and whether they are warm throughout - top, middle and bottom. If they are cold at the top, they need bleeding (easy to do). If they are cold at the bottom, they need a flush (plumber's job). If they are generally cold, it could be a pump problem.

All the information could be useful in helping a gasman diagnose the problem.

thanks for your reply

only problem is if we are right then 3 hours would mean wasting £12.00 which we don't have to waste, when the plumber was here we mentioned this to him and he just shrugged and said well it's old.

I will approach the subject of a new boiler to the management company and if they are not interested in mentioning it or the landlord isn't interested in changing it (he won't repair the letter box or seals on the windows) then we will probably just give our notice in to move in May and leave in July but make sure wherever we go we check the boiler before we take the place lol. I have found out that if we press the matter he can give us notice to leave

Decide how much you are prepared to risk, and run it for a shorter period - but you need longer than 10 minutes!

For all the reasons I've given your expectations are *wildly* exaggerated.

Heating individual rooms by oil radiator is obviously cheaper, but in general gas is one-third the cost of electricity if you want to heat the whole house and cut down the damp levels.

We are at the start of a long cold spell and possibly the start of a cold winter - the sooner you check this out the better for you and your kids.