McKenzie Hall Have Contacted Me Out of the Blue

appyammer
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4895 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I have been looking at various threads in this forum and have come across a lot concerning McKenzie Hall debt company.

I received a letter from them a few weeks ago telling me that they needed to contact me on a personal matter and if I do live at this address to contact them. After reading posts on this forum I decided to contact them in writing as I did not want to be verbally abused on the phone. I actually sent them an email to the address on the letter and included the reference number they gave. I told them that I did live here and asked what they wanted to contact me about. I heard nothing more from then until today when I received another letter from them stating that I have made no contact with them (which is untrue) and that I owe money to a company.

It turns out it is for a store card I had many many years ago. It was actually a Marks & Spencer card. Yes I had the card and yes I did stop paying it. I lost my job and came to an arrangement with M&S Cards to pay a monthly amount to clear the debt. I became very ill and everything went by the wayside. I'm not trying to make excuses for not paying what I owed, just trying to explain what happened. I moved house and heard nothing more from M&S. The last payment I made must have been around 9 years ago.

Then came the first letter from McKenzie Hall a few weeks ago and now today I have found out that it is this M&S debt from all those years ago they are chasing me for.

Would this be classed as statute barred if there was no CCJ done without me knowing?

Hi and welcome to CAG

You have done your homework:-)

Even if a CCJ was obtained through the back door, if 6 years had passed since judgement, the creditor would have to go back to court to enforce it and a judge wouldn't look to kindly on them.

As it is, Muck hall have this so a simple letter telling them it is SB and you won't be paying is in order. Send this by Recorded Delivery and don't sign it

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Should they continue to chase after sending the SB letter just remind them of the OFT requirements placed on them last April

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/requirements.pdf

Good luck

R

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] I asked them to wait whilst I got my Bank card :violin:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information that may help if a CCA request is refused due to the lack of a signature . . http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?248863-Signature-demands-fight-back-possible-!&highlight=

They really are a piece of work! I called Debtline and as soon as I said McKenzie Hall the first thing I was told was do not under any circumstances call them as you will be abused.

The woman at Debtline was great. She said if there is no CCJ then it is statute barred. I have just gone onto one of the credit report companies to make sure there was never a CCJ about this.

http://www.trustonline.org.uk/ use that link, it costs £8 I think, but it will tell you there and then (via email) if you have a CCJ against your name.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Do check that they are not trashing your credit file. If you have even the slightest doubt about when the last payment – or acknowledgment in writing – was made, then send the ‘prove it/bemused’ letter first, before the SB letter. That puts the onus on them. You can adapt the prove it letter to include a phrase that you would not expect them to dare chase any debt that may be SB, of course, which would count as a proper warning were they to try and take it further.

They must be getting really desperate in DCA land.

Well it was so long ago I had actually forgotten about it. I dont normally do that but when I became ill, a lot of things in my life got forgotten - just a really bad time and something turns off in your head. I'm ok now though thank goodness.

Yes things must be getting desperate in DCA land. It's not much of a debt but I wont be bullied by anyone.

Thanks for that bazooka boo but I have done the experian one. they said they send me out a pin number etc which I should get tomorrow by post hopefully so I will wait for that to turn up and see what I can see. I have never seen my credit file before so dont really know what I am supposed to be looking for but I suppose it must be easy to follow lolol