Has the Freedom of Information Officer done something wrong here?

Tom87
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4891 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

(Mods feel free to move this if there is a better place to put it, thanks)

I made a Freedom of Information Request to Devon and Cornwall Police (my local force). I thought that your request is treated confidentially? I.e. the information (if the request is successful) is published for all to see, but the identity of the requestor is not revealed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now I have learnt the local beat officers, who have nothing to do with FOI, are aware of my request. It revealed some information which reflects badly on the force, by the way. But it seems the Freedom of Information Officer has gone and revealed my identity and personal information to other police officers who have nothing to do with it.

I have checked the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and can't find anything about confidentiality so I'm a bit stuck. I have no complaints how the actual request has been dealt with, but I'd like to know if any rule has been breached by gossiping about the people making requests to other people who don't need to know. I wrongly thought the FOI officer would keep that to themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

As you say, it is an FoI request. If the information you complain about was disclosed outside the force (ie 'leaked') then you would have a case, however if during the investigations by the FoI officer other police officers became aware, I don't believe there is much you can do - except perhaps write to the Chief Constable and seek his clarificaton on who your details were disemminated in this way.....