Private Parking Ticket damaged my bike windscreen - can i claim off them?

ams54

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4072 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all

Got a ticket last night from New Generation Parking in a private secure parking last night. went to visit my girlfriend at her flat and parked behind her car on my motorbike. Even though my bike is registered, apparently only one vehical at a time is allowed per space. my bike was not obstructing anyone or anything.

They stuck the notice (invoice) to my front screen. in turn this sticky notice has damaged my screen. The charge notice is for £75 and a new screen is £84 excluding the fitting charge. Can i invoice them for damage to my bike? shall i contact the police and get a crime reference number for the criminal damage incurred?

any advice is gratefully recieved :)

ams

Yes you can do all of the above. The reality is that if you sue them for the damage to your bike, they will be likely to countercalaim for their invoice. So you will need to be prepared for that battle. I doub't the police will be interested but by all means try.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Two matters here - the Ticket and the Damage. Best to initially consider them separately.

Ticket.

Does your girlfriend own/rent a specific area on which to park vehicles or has she just the right to park one vehicle anywhere in general ?

If the former, is it a specific marked out space (or similarly defined on a Lease plan) and were both vehicles within that specific area?

If the latter, this is probably a Private Parking Contractor matter which is regularly dealt with on these threads (i.e. ignore) - unless there was an acceptance of such terms when the bike was 'registered'.

Damage

A straightforward claim for damage brought about by the deliberate affixing of a notice to the vehicle with an inppropriate adhesive that reacted with, and caused damage to, the acrylic screen.

I suggest you write informing them of the damage, enclosing an estimate of the repair and seeking the FULL amount otherwise this will be claimed through the County Court together with permitted costs and interest.

Meanwhile look into your girlfriend's right to keep vehicle(s) in her specific area and provide more details here.

Whats the screen made of tissue paper??

No motorcyclist in their right mind would ride with a glass windscreen a couple inches from their face - even if a manufacturer was foolish enough (from a liability point of view) to make such a thing.

Most motorcycle screens are made of a plastic/acryllic substance of which the surface often melts/clouds/distorts in contact with solvents and some adhesives.

No doubt the adhesive used here was specified by the PPC for sticking tickets onto car windscreens (which are ivariably glass these days). No thought of its use on other materials in their specification, nor a thought of the consequences of so doing. Or the PPC failed to follow manufacturers guidelines about not applying to non glass surfaces.

I once had the same with a GB sticker when I came to remove it. So much for patriotism!