Desperately need advise on council tax and bailiff, please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4075 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I desperately need a bit of advise on what should I do.

Basically when I was a student about 5 years ago, I share a house with my 3 other people, 1 of them wasn't a student, and I think he was liable for council tax payment.

Five year has gone past, I have moved several time, and have already lost contact with all the people used to live in that house.

But when I just moved into this new property about year ago, I start receiving letters from the previous council tracing the payment for council tax for my ex house mate, I wasn't paying too much attention since it wasn't under my name.

Until last month, I got a letter from Bailiffs said they will come to seize my good, but strangely the letter from bailiff has both my name (which spell wrongly) and that ex house mate's name. I don't think they have visited the house yet, or they might have been and I wasn't in, since I worked full time and I'm out most of the time.

Can someone please advised me what should I do, since I don't think I was liable for the debt, and how could they associate my ex house mate to my address? From my knowledge he had moved to somewhere in Europe many years ago.

have you had sight of a thing called a liability order from the council concerned?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

strange.....

p'haps ring the council and ask?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You need to find out whose name the liability order was made in.

Just rang the council, they said the liability order was for everyone stay in that house at that period of time, which was everyone's name on the aacount.

I remebered i did applied for exameption as a student at that time which they claim they don't know anyhting about.

Now i will have to prove i was student five years ago:mad2:

should be easy enough to do if you have exam results or p'haps phone the educational est concerned.

dx

and they

Who has to pay council tax

Usually one person, called the liable person, is liable to pay council tax. Nobody under the age of 18 can be a liable person. Couples living together will both be liable, even if there is only one name on the bill. This applies whether the couple is married, cohabiting or in a civil partnership.

Usually, the person living in a property will be the liable person, but sometimes it will be the owner of the property who will be liable to pay.

The owner will be liable if:

• the property is in multiple occupation, for example, a house shared by a number of different households who all pay rent separately; or
  • the people who live in the property are all under the age of 18; or
  • the property is accommodation for asylum seekers; or
  • the people who are staying in the property are there temporarily and have their main homes somewhere else; or
  • the property is a care home, hospital, hostel or women's refuge.

If you think that the owner of the property should be paying the council tax, you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on openinnewwin.gifnearest CAB.

If only one person lives in a property they will be the liable person. If more than one person lives there, a system called the hierarchy of liability is used to work out who is the liable person. The person at the top, or nearest to the top, of the hierarchy is the liable person. Two people at the same point of the hierarchy will both be liable.

The hierarchy of liability is:

1. a resident owner-occupier who owns either the leasehold or freehold of all or part of the property
  2. a resident tenant
  3. a resident who lives in the property and who is a licensee. This means that they are not a tenant, but have permission to stay there
  4. any resident living in the property, for example, a squatter
  5. an owner of the property where no one is resident.