Will whatever happens repair my plasma screen?

redbullman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4865 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I've got a Pioneer plasma which I purchased from Dixons online in March 2008. The Coverplan 3 year warranty expires in March next year.

I've got two little kiddies who have managed to scratch the screen in my opinion quite badly. There is a scratch which I can feel with my figure which is approximately 10/15 centimetres down the screen slightly off centre. When watching light backgrounds it's particularly evident to me at 7 ft away, and even more so when playing games on the ps3. However it's one of those things where if you don't realise it's there, you may not see it; but it particularly bugs me. I see it almost all the time.

Will coverplan/whatever happens fix this for me. I've got a whatever happens brochure in front of me stating if you didn't have their cover, a plasma screen would cost £1500 to repair; suggesting they will cover it.

The tv still works so where do they draw the line? I know from research that it's impossible to repair scratches on the anti reflective coating without replacing the whole plasma panel. So effectively it would cost almost as much as a new plasma.

Any ideas, much appreciated?

Thanks

Hello and Welcome, redbullman.

I'm not too clued up on 'whatever happens' but hopefully someone will be along to help shortly.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Whatever happens does cover accidental damage.

Although I know of a few people who have requested repairs and they have had the damaged item returned saying they would not cover it as it came under misuse or abuse of the item..

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Hi there

Thanks for all the replies.

Well we don't have pets and are extra careful around the tv. Considering there are always kiddie prints on it, I would have thought it was a cast iron certainty.

I don't really want the tv taken away for weeks if they aren't going to fix it. Our oldest would not be happy with no cbeebies for weeks!

The infamous Whatever Happens "abuse or misuse excuse" is surely just a con for them not to pay out. How is a scratch on the screen not accidental damage? I can understand that when a tv has "fallen down the stairs", but not scratches. They've been on Watchdog many times for this sort of behaviour.

Maybe I should call them up and ask.

It's hardly cosmetic damage of it's down the middle of the screen and effects the image being displayed (due to the cracked anti reflective coating). In a common sense world, cosmetic damage would be to the surround of the unit, not the screen itself. I don't see how anybody could put a case together to say a crack on the anti reflective coating doesn't effect the working of the product. It effects the working of the product because it affects the image the viewer sees. Now maybe Whatever Happens people can legally get out of it, but to me it's pretty obvious it's not cosmetic damage.

Hi, i dont think a scatch on a screen is cosmetic if the user cannot see the image so therefore it should come under accidental damage. whether WEH decide to repair it or reject claim is really up to them. common reasons for rejections include 'claiming accidental damage near the time of expieration' or simply something ridiculous like a car driving over a tv....

• 1 month later...

I think they may deem it to be cosmetic if it does not affect the actual working of the television - as the OP says, the scratch is there but may be missed if you don't look for it. Personally, in my opinion, if you have cover for"whatever happens" then you should have cover for all eventualities - however, my other opinion is that a company will not pay for a repair if the item in question is not [faulty] - in the way that they believe faulty means.

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

1]suggest tweeking the brightness and contrast and playing the game it is most noticable on

2]photograph the severity the scratch has caused

3]phone up call centre and ask them if you emailed them the photo or you tell them a link to a picture upload site would they verify-justify fault and note on their system to ensure work is complete and arrange a repair pickup [if deemed fault]

i done this myself and didnt need to arrange a pickup just to assess it they agreed on looking at the uploaded photo it worthy of repair and it got repaired[place copy of photo in repair pickup box with tv]

it saves time showing evidence prior to pickup to ensure it gets dealt with rather then wasting time

hope this helps