Single, A homeowner - Discrimination

uvegottalaugh
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Where is the equality in the system when it comes to benefits for single people who happen to own their home and don't have children. I have just been told I am going to be made redundant for the second time in 5 years. Last time, I was out of work for a year while I cared for my mother who was disabled and I tried to claim for incapacity benefit for her so that I could get carers allowance. She's over 60 so because she wasn't incontinent - no benefits. I had savings at the time - so got no help with my mortgage and I didn't claim jobseekers allowance cause I wasn't seeking a job. During that year I spent all my savings and just before they were going to give me a pittance I managed to get a job and had to dash home sometimes during my break to check on mum.

I have worked and paid taxes since i was 15 and am now 43. I have never had any money out of the benefits system apart from SSP on a couple of occasions about 20 years ago surely I've earned the right to be looked after in my time of need. My friend, same age as me, on the other hand was in social housing, has two children and gave up work due to arthritis and received - full rent, reduced council tax, extra money for the children and disability benefits (not her fault - it's there for her to get so why not) however all these benefits totalled more per week than I was earning for a 40 hour week. She could afford a holiday and I couldn't - Eh!!

Why aren't the European Union and consumer action groups poking their nose into this crime against single people who have worked damned hard to buy a house and who basically have to face losing their home at the same time as they lose their job? Bearing in mind that people renting are always better off in terms of not having to maintain their property at the same time as buying it.

• Confused 1

It is a shock to find out you are not entitled to any help when you are in need.

I do feel your mother obviously needs some assistance and I think that some welfare rights advice for your mother might be a good idea. Perhaps Age UK (which used to be Help the Aged and Age Concern) might be able to help. Perhaps you could give them a call and see if they can give your mother some advice.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

You can refer her to social services who will come out and assess her needs and discuss any help she may be entitled to. They can also refer her to a welfare rights officer from the council to check any benefits she may be entitled to.