Car got £1400 of work at Arnold Clarke, yet back back rocking

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3826 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In preperation for the winter and to keep my car safe I got £1400 worth of work done to my Ford Galaxy including: air conditioning, brakes, new radiator, and cv boot. Basically, I got everything the service said needed any sort of attention. When I picked up the car it was seriously rocking from side-to-side, so I called the next day to be told I'd need to bring it in on Monday. Monday, I took the car in and they investigated and let me know 'the cv boot had been replaced but not lubricated and that the tracking was now needing replaced. I was told the mechanic was in trouble as he was specifically told 'not to release my car that day'.

I was gven a couresy car (5 seater) despite having 5 young children and needing a people carrier, and told it was all going to be repaired at their cost and they'd let me know when my car is available. 3 days later I got the car, so for 3 days of the school holidays I had to keep the kids in the house as I couldn't ferry them all about. Courtesy car was only good for getting in shopping when my husband returned from work.

This is now less than 6 weeks later and the steering wheel is rocking again. What are my rights? Again it has taken another school holiday and I am furious at the time lost as a result of their mistake. They were given ample opportunity to fix the problem yet they obviously opted for a quick fix. Car is under finance with Arnold Clarke for the past 18 months and has a further 18months remaining. I got all repairs carried out at Arnold Clarke since I bought the car as I believed this would guard against this kind of downright incompatence.

For me the bottom line is: I have 5 young children is an unsafe car that now has excessive play when turning corners and shakes when I go above 20mph!

Any Advice appreciated!

Sounds about par for the course. AC and car "Repairs" are not synonymous.

It would be helpful if you could tell us why you were drawn to buy the car from AC in the first place. What part of the country are you from?

What to do?? Others on this site will no doubt explain what your rights are, SOGA etc.etc. Personally, i would ask for a meeting with their service manager. Take along a creditable witness, and state that you require the car to be presented back to you in a totally safe and serviceable condition which will prevent you from taking further action.

If pressed on "further action" just say that you know your rights. You may consider that tactfully explaining to them if the car is not fully satisfactory, you will be forced to take the car elsewhere for proper repair, but they would have to foot the bill.

Other points to ponder:- AC are members of Scottish Motor Trades Association, and you could lodge a complaint with them. Then there are trading standards. Local VOSA station could be asked for a safety inspection. Finally, AC subscribe to the Motor Trades Code of Practice, who will look at your particular complaint. Contact helpline is 0800 692 0825 or www.motorindustrycodes.co.uk. You MUST give AC ample oppertunity to put car right before any further action is taken.

Please post a progress report.

PS. Viewers of this post may be interested in similar links in Motor Manufacturers and Retailers Section of this site.

Edited by scaniaman
dippit
  • Haha 1