Lloyds TSB - charges have made the debt bigger than it started with

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4852 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya,

i'm in a payment arrangement with Lloyds TSB, which has been passed onto their collections agency BLS Collections a few years ago. When the arrangement started as part of a DMP, the debt i owed was £2700. I have been paying steadily and the debt should be now around £900 so i was looking to settle. After writing to them to request a balance, they are stating the balance is a staggering £3400 which is more than it was to begin with! I have been in an arrangement for 6 years I was amazed when i saw the figure!

Can anyone give me a good starting point on this to help me get it to the figure it should be ?? I have written to them twice asking them to remove late charges and interest as I have been in an arrangement and paying on time every time but they have so far ignored both letters

any advice is most welcome thank you all

I'd SAR them. Banks often claim overdrafts etc.... are not governed by the CCA and it is debatable to some extent. If you send an SAR you'll get the breakdown of charges which is obviously the thing that is of major concern for you. It may be possible to challenge some or all of these depending how they arrive at them. If you know you signed a CCA for this repayment agreement then by all means send a CCA request. Make sure you get proof of postage.

Hi Tingy

THanks for the reply. I've already sent the CCA off to them, should i wait for a reply or just send a SAR now too do you think?

Many thanks

Going back to your first post and the payment arrangement. Was this agreed over repayments for a loan? For paying back an agreed or unauthorised overdraft? Or what?

Do you remember signing a CCA or anything at all?

Hi Tingy,

The original debt was a large overdraft - agreed. After it was setup and at its largest, the arrangement was setup via a DMP . The debt was passed to BLS Collections afterward, i didn't sign anything from them... but I believe it was when it went to BLS that the balance balooned

Hi Tingy,

The original debt was a large overdraft - agreed. After it was setup and at its largest, the arrangement was setup via a DMP . The debt was passed to BLS Collections afterward, i didn't sign anything from them... but I believe it was when it went to BLS that the balance balooned

If it were me, I'd send off an SAR to Lloyds. I am assuming BLS are just collecting and do not own the debt. I would also be inclined to send off a letter to both asking them to freeze all interest and charges - I can give you a template letter if you want, just ask. It will be after 9pm though as my appalling TV taste means I'm off to watch I'm A Celebrity. Will be back on later!

Sorry about the delay! I've pm'd you the letter as I've put in what personal details I can, so feel it best not posted on the public forum. Hope it gets a positive response. If it doesn't there's several follow up letters, so don't panic!

Got it Tingy thanks! Just one question, this is to go to both BLS and to Lloyds right? I'll post tomorrow..... 8-)

Definitely to Lloyds as they seem to me to be the most likely culprits to be adding on charges. If you think BLS might also be guilty of adding charges, then send it to them as well. I can't see it would do any harm sending it to both except for the cost of a stamp. By the way, ask for Proof of Postage (doesn't cost anything).

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya, me again

My CCA to Llloyds has gone unanswered, recorded delivery shows it was signed for on the 23rd of November - any advise what i do now?

I have sent a SAR request off too but only a couple of days ago, i understand this takes 40 days

Many thanks

If the clock starts ticking when they receive it, I make it that they have until Monday 13th December to respond (12 + 2 working days). One thing confuses me. Your post #10 says you'll send it tomorrow, that post was on the 25th November, yet you're saying here they signed for receipt on Nov 23rd?

Come Monday you send them a letter placing the account in dispute as they have failed to respond to your CCA request. This means you don't have to pay anything, and until they comply with your request, they are supposed to stop enforcing the debt. They will claim all sorts of things to try to persuade you they can, but they can't! Even read one last night where they'd carefully quoted a court case, then said , "it follows therefore that we can continue enforcement." No it doesn't, the law says you can't! As you've SAR'd them as well then mark the 40 day (calendar days this time) limit and post as it's getting close if they don't respond.

Hope this helps!

Tingy

can i have acopy of that overdraft letter im wana send lloyds one of those!!!

Up until 5 minutes ago yes you could, but as it is based on (not the same as) a letter from another consumer site it's been pointed out to me by a member of the site team that I'm breaking the rules. Not intentionally, and I'm sure they realise that, but I don't want to be seen doing it on purpose. Sorry!

Hi Tingy,

I'm not surprised that they haven't responded. I feel a bit worried about placing the account in dispute, what if they were to start doing door stop visits or something as i'm not paying ??

Would it be another idea to disregard th balance they have quoted, and offer a short settlement on the balance that i do acknowledge from them ?

lance